WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about getting a nice, knock around sports watch. Saw a nice Eco-drive. Is that a good system?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have 2 eco-drives. One is about 12 years old, a 36mm diver, the other maybe 7, a casual chrono. The older one is back on action after being worn and beat on for 5 years, then shoved in a drawer for the next 7 or so. It's running +1second a month. The newer one, the chrono, runs about 10 seconds per day slow, but it's seen 6 years of daily use where it never skipped a beat. I would say they're great watches.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
They're the best quartzes for the money. Some of the higher end ones are just the best quartzes in general. And now that they have an eco-drive A660 version coming out, it'll probably be the best quartz ever made.

Here's my favorite one:
390406_856549236484_18308506_39333014_2028116083_n.jpg

·
Registered
126 Posts
The Eco Drive is a great system. I have their AT0200 field chrono and I have put it through quite a lot with no problems whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
3,982 Posts
I have four Eco-Drives. Two of them are chronographs. They all work flawlessly and are very accurate. They are also four of the nicest looking watches I own. I highly recommend them. You cannot go wrong. They are also priced right.
cottontop

Reactions: CitizenM

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
If you are searching for just about the most bullet proof system there is, then the eco drive is the one for you. They just keep going, and going, and going......

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,618 Posts
It is an excellent system for recharging the watch battery. Very reliable and all it needs is light. Citizen has been particularly successful at masking the solar cell and the dials look like those found on a non-solar watch. Go for it and post a picture.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
They're the best quartzes for the money. Some of the higher end ones are just the best quartzes in general. And now that they have an eco-drive A660 version coming out, it'll probably be the best quartz ever made.
Do you know when that A660 coming out and what does it look like?

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Eco drive... The best solar quartz. Some running for more than a dozen years without a capacitor change or break down...

·
Registered
448 Posts
That's gorgeous.

I've had my eco-drive perpetual calendar for about two or three years now, and it's kept flawless time. It had never occurred to me to check accuracy, but I've never had it be noticeably wrong. I suppose I reset it twice a year, due to daylight savings.

·
Registered
31,341 Posts
Really sweet buys for the $. Mine keeps better time than a couple of my watches that cost 3x as much.

(If my wife cruised this forum and read that, I would be put on a Timex budget for the rest of my life......)

Their titanium versions are some of the most comfy watches out there to wear on a daily basis.
Have this on while I type-

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Three here, one over 10 years old. They are great watches, and the radio controlled ones (the two newer ones) are almost always spot on, except when there is no sync, and then the accuracy is standard quartz.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
Really sweet buys for the $. Mine keeps better time than a couple of my watches that cost 3x as much.

(If my wife cruised this forum and read that, I would be put on a Timex budget for the rest of my life......)

Their titanium versions are some of the most comfy watches out there to wear on a daily basis.
Have this on while I type-

Did the American Titanium 2100 come with sapphire?

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I've been wanting to reply to my own thread about my purchase and the issues I'm having with it. Here is what I bought:

Basically I like this watch quite a bit. Some of my favorite things about it are:
... very much like the look
... so easy to read
... no batteries needed because it solar powered
... 200m water resistance
... chronograph and a timing bezel
... comfortable
... Bezel stays put where you set it (unlike some others)

But the big thing I don't like with this particular watch is that it is too easy to bump and rotate the crown, which then changes the function and readout of the watch. That means that sometimes when I look at the time, its something crazy, like the alarm or an alternate time zone. Happens easily when putting on or taking off jackets. When this happens somewhere dimly lit and I don't have my reading glasses, it can be some trouble setting it back to the proper time. My confidence is a little shaken in this piece.

Also, depending on what functions you change between, when you get back to time, the function hand @ 2:00 can just spin and spin, 4 spins equals one date change, and I sit there and watch as the date wheel slowly turns to reset itself for what seems to take minutes, while the function hand spins at a leasurely pace. Sorry, no watch should get itself into that kind of trouble, and then take so long to get out of it.

But I very much like the look and otherwise like the performance of this watch as a "tool" watch. I was all prepared to put it up for sale, but maybe I will wear it some more and see if I get used to it.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Gary, my Citizen does the exact same thing, but I don't have the vision issue, so I just turn the crown back to tme. That is the only thing I dislike about that particular watch, but since the wife gave it to me I'd hurt her feelings if I sold it (not to mention the possibility of getting more watches from her). Mine keeps great time and wears comfortably. If I were to get another EcoDrive it would be the Signature collection Grande Complication.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts