WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings to Stowa owners and fans!

I would like to ask a question about ETA clockwork situation, but might need to reveal some background to give help understanding it.

I am currently waiting for a Steinhart ST1 Premium Line watch. Ordered it in April. First shipping date was announced end of May. Then it became shifted by one month. And then again. Now it is due mid of August, but I am almost entirely certain that it will get further delays.

I read about ETA doing some rather strange way of business with small clockmakers. As I understand ETA is shipping drastically reduced amount of clockworks or none at all. In Steinhart thread there is some information about ETA shipping 40 pieces of clockworks instead of agreed amount of 500 pieces. I was not aware of this when I placed my order, but experience the effects of this now.

Steinhart is put in a very awkward situation. They cannot deliver, however it is not really their own fault. So they offered me to reinburse me the price of the watch if I decide to cancel my order.

During summer vacations I will wait, there is not much I can do. However if in middle of August delivery will get postponed I will cancel my order at Steinhart.

I started to look for alternatives in the mean time. Stowa Flieger mit Logo is my favourite so far. I checked and this model has ETA clockwork as well. My question is that do you experience any delays in Stowa deliveries, please? Does Stowa get affected by ETA way of delivering?

I am bit reluctant to order another clock before I could know that the projected delivery on the homepage is really valid.

Thank you for taking your time to read this.
With best regards,

enpera

·
Moderator at Large
54,002 Posts
All I can say is Steinhart is Steinhart and Stowa is Stowa. What's valid for Steinhart is not necessarily valid for Stowa. As long as Stowa has not been affected by ETA movement shortage and Stowa has not reported yet any shortage you will get yor watch as stated on their web site.
Btw: ETA shortage was to be foreseen since years, see the sticky on our Public Forum. Theoretically spoken there would have been sufficient time to source movements from other manufacturers/suppliers. Early arrangement is the key to success.

·
Registered
251 Posts
As a side note Stowa has already moved some models off of ETA movements because they were aware of reduced quantity of movements. One example of this is the Antea 365 which is now using a Soprod A10.

·
Registered
601 Posts
As a side note Stowa has already moved some models off of ETA movements because they were aware of reduced quantity of movements. One example of this is the Antea 365 which is now using a Soprod A10.
Stowa actually states this in the description of the watch. I think its cool that Stowa found another great movement provider so they can keep their price the same... Or close to it. The Antea 390 is on my short list!

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Would much rather own a Soprod movement over an ETA anyway. As already stated, this is by no means a new situation, and if you're not yet prepared to deal with it as a watchmaker, then perhaps you deserve to lose out on some business to those that had sense enough to prepare for it. Between Sellita and Soprod (among others), there really should be no excuse.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your thoughts about movement availability.

I am trying to think of a way ahead if I still don't get any watch in middle of August. I like the design of Stowa Flieger, the attention to detail is really convincing. If there is no watch coming and there is no promise on a fixed delivery I need to take a decision.

In August it will be 4 months that I wait. I wouldn't mind waiting if I would know that there is a datum that I can look forward to. But in current situation delivery is just moved forward with every month and I cannot know how many months it will take yet. It could be easily 2014 at this rate...

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Stowa has never had the problem of suffering from the shortage of ETA due to it's advance preparation since a couple of years ago.
Aligning to the previous posters, this news have been long coming a few years ago and if you haven't been prepared since then, it's only yourself(the manufacturer) to blame for not having the foresight.

You probably should just cancel the Steinhart now and order the Stowa. Stowa's in a different class to Steinhart anyway :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stowa has never had the problem of suffering from the shortage of ETA due to it's advance preparation since a couple of years ago.
Aligning to the previous posters, this news have been long coming a few years ago and if you haven't been prepared since then, it's only yourself(the manufacturer) to blame for not having the foresight.

You probably should just cancel the Steinhart now and order the Stowa. Stowa's in a different class to Steinhart anyway :)
I am trying to get some confirmation from Steinhart on whether they see a chance of delivering within 2013. Also I will ask whether they build their ST1 anniversary clockwork on ETA or source some other clockwork instead? That might be a cause for being so late.

When I read your replies I understand that even though that Stowa takes roughly 4 months to deliver they actually deliver at the projected time.

Although that I understand that it is not only Steinhart's fault that my clock is not ready I cannot negligate the fact that as a manufacturer they are also responsible of securing a source for clockworks. As a manufacturer they could choose to ignore forthcoming delivery issues of ETA or go for alternative sources. They kept ETA as clockwork supplier so took a risk. Now this risk is affecting customers waiting for uncertain length of time due to no parts available.

My main issue is the unsecure nature of waiting. With Stowa I would know that if I order now I will get the clock in middle of November 2013. If I stick to Steinhart I can only know that chances are that when delivery is near it will probably get shifted one more month into the future. And no way of telling how many times this might happen.

My decision will be based on what Steinhart replies and whether they shift forward delivery in August to September.

·
Moderator at Large
54,002 Posts
If Steinhart keeps to their promised delivery dates or not and why or why not should be discussed on our Steinhart forum which you already did. Don't see the need to discuss this issue twice, here and there. I am sure G. Steinhart tries mightily to satisfy his customers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You are right, I will stick to Steinhart section. Thank you for adressing my Stowa related questions.

·
Moderator at Large
54,002 Posts
Looking at your current post on our Steinhart forum I conclude that you don't know that you can get the Stowa Flieger with a hw 2801, right ?! And to add this: A no logo, no date (clean dial) is one of the features the WW II B-watches had and they had no small second either.

·
Registered
690 Posts

I think steinhart is selling alot of watches so I won't be surprise that they ran out of movements.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts