WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
recently I've bought a GW-9200 and I am pretty satisfied.
Today I've noticed that the auto return a couple of timers got stuck. I had the watch at my wrist, I was in my car with windows open (no ac :-|), temperatures exceeding 39 degrees Celsius, and my arm out of the window under the sun.
Simply in the baro mode it did not go back to the main time mode but it was kind of frozen (even the thermometer stopped). Pushing the mode button solved the issue, but I had this problem an other couple of times.
At home with lower temperatures the watch returned to work perfectly.

What do you make of this?
Can it be possibly related to the high temperature, or to the sudden change of temperature (from 29C to 39C+) or even the direct sunlight?

Do you think it is normal and I do not need to worry about it; or should I send it back as the clock is still in warranty?

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
In my experience, with a G directly under the hot sun, what I get is a black screen, though I haven't tried to use the functions in these conditions. But as soon as the watch cools down everything gets back to normal.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
The G-shock will stand up to more than the human body will in most situations. If you are still alive and kicking your G will be too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Many years ago I had a cheap digital watch. After an afternoon in the sun the LC-Display was nearly black! Somehow it recovered but after that I never let in the sun for a long time. I don't know if this could happen to modern displays.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
The "black" is actually caused by the heat being great enough to cause all of the crystals to lose their alignment with each other [edit, nod to Rogerlike]. Cheaper digital watches that do not have good thermal resistance will do this fairly easily. The LCD modules used in G-Shocks are not fully resistant to this, but the casing is robust enough to help delay it.

The sensors in the Riseman could be sensitive to extreme heat, causing the watch programming to get confused by it. That might be what you're experiencing.

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
The shock resistance that makes the G so famous protects it from the heat, however irradiated direct heat (like direct hot sun exposure) on the display overwhelms that resistance.

·
Registered
877 Posts
The "black" is actually caused by the heat being great enough to cause all of the crystals to align in one direction
The thermal energy causes the liquid crystals to stop being helically aligned. An electric field causes the crystals to stop being twisted too, as it forces them to align to the field instead of with each other. Cool the LCD, or remove the field, and the liquid crystals will form their helices again, and rotate linear polarization like normal!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts