WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant believe that of all the internet reading, and forums, and researching watches Ive done, I never knew it was not recommended to set the date between these hours. However I just wanted to get some insight from some of the watch experts here regarding this and Tag Heuer. I assume certain movements or watches would be more prone to damage by this than others. Also I've read that they say this in the manual, but In all 3 Tags I own I have yet to find it in the manual. Ive read them multiple times to ensure proper care of my watches. Do certain tags or movements have protection from such damage? Also I read in another topic that some of the watches change date at different times now because of damage, and even watches that are not damaged change either early or late by minutes or hours. My Tag 2000 Classic Automatic is probably 6 or 7 years old, and I've never known about the correct method for setting the date and decided to wind it up and check it out today. I would have been happy if the date changed somewhere around midnight but i was surprised at what I found. After properly setting the time and date this morning I eagerly awaited midnight and for a watch that has yet to be serviced, the date chaged at exactly 12:00am. I am so happy to know that I didnt damage my watch, or at least badly since it changed on the dot. I believe it is the Calibre 5 inside, and it must be a testament to it being a good movement. Just thought I'd share my experience, and I enjoy reading the advice and comments from the expert members on the forum.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Calibre 16 definitely has the language not to change in the manual and it also takes a few hours for date/day to change. Calibre 17, my manual does not warn against changing and the date changes instantly at 12 without any lag.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
U

Now if you set the date after 12 mid-day, isn't your watch going to change dates at mid-day instead of mid-night..Unless you advance the second hand 12 hrs.
I always set the date one day before the actual date and advance the hands until the date turns so I know I've got the AM/PM correct.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting...I've seen some breitling manuals warn against this, and thought it pertained to any automatic movement, but if it's not in a certain manual maybe that movement isn't as prone to damage. When I get my GC calibre 17 back from TAG I'm going to check my date changeover and compare. In my calibre 5 and 17 both manuals do not mention it, and I tested my calibre 5 as mentioned in the first post, and I'm curious to see how my grand carrera operates. I know the carerra which is calibre 16 I believe does mention it in the manual so it seems odd tag would leave such an important care tip out if it pertained to all movements.

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
On some movements such as the cal 16 (7750) the date wheel is engaged for an extended period of time during the date changeover. This period can start well before 12:00 and end well after 12:00. It does not have an instant clickover like the other ETA calibres. If you change the date manually while the date wheel is engaged with the movement, you may cause damage.

Just to be safe, I don't change the date of any watch during the midnight hours.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
On some movements such as the cal 16 (7750) the date wheel is engaged for an extended period of time during the date changeover. This period can start well before 12:00 and end well after 12:00. It does not have an instant clickover like the other ETA calibres. If you change the date manually while the date wheel is engaged with the movement, you may cause damage.

Just to be safe, I don't change the date of any watch during the midnight hours.
Good advice. So if you just absolutely need to change the date between 10 and 2, couldn't you simply advance the hands allowing the date to change before using the quick set date function?

My older mechanical chronographs don't even offer a quick set date. You have to manually advance the hands. It's such a pain, I don't even bother with setting the proper date. Same is true for my older Tag quartz chronos. No quick set feature, you have to advance the hour hand 12 hours in order to change the date.

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Same is true for my older Tag quartz chronos. No quick set feature, you have to advance the hour hand 12 hours in order to change the date.
Yes, that's the 251 quartz. Some consider that date setting procedure a positive as the hour can be changed quickly for daylight savings time. I find it just as easy to advance the minute hand one hour and still have the quick set date feature.

·
Registered
426 Posts
This video shows what happens if you change the date during the restricted time.

You won't be able to and forcibly doing so will break the date change gear.

·
3,255 Posts
Rage, thanks for posting this cool video showing one of the issues people question most.

Thanks much,

Enrico

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
This video shows what happens if you change the date during the restricted time.

You won't be able to and forcibly doing so will break the date change gear.
great vid! can't get a better explanation than that - Thank you.

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
for such a price, why it has such bug, watch should be solid!
It has nothing to do with price and everything about knowing this movement and how it works. Many brands use it with some costing many thousands more than TAG. It's a proven design that's been arond since 1974, not a bug.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts