WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have spent a couple of thousands on G's and on spare straps and bezels to have them for future use. I have spray them all with silicone spray and keeping them sealed in a dark and dry place so no contact with air and UV is possible hoping that will make them live for couple of decades.
I have seen many unworn G's that are like new back from the 80's, so I thought that the "protective" silicon spray would keep them alive even longer.
Does anyone have any experience with it? because after a talk with Michael he told me that silicone spray makes them rotten even faster as without it and that scared me to death!!! :think::-x

·
Registered
124 Posts
OP are you a survivalist? Are you preparing for doomsday? Or is this a long play to eventually open a museum by displaying all the G shock watches you've curated?

Side note: besides being able to tell time accurately, it'll also behoove you to put away cans of beans, tuna, and water will also come in handy in your doomsday scenario!! Those wouldn't require any silicone spray, I believe.

Thanks,

Tofu

have spray them all with silicone spray and keeping them sealed in a dark and dry place so no contact with air and UV is possible hoping that will make them live for couple of decades.
I have seen many unworn G's that are like new back from the 80's, so I thought that the "protective" silicon spray would keep them alive even longer.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
It will make them rot faster.

Keeping them dry and out of sunlight would be the best solution.

You probably haven't done too much harm yet though. They would have to be sitting for many years for the spray to really show it's effect.

Wash them well with soap and water and dry them off.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It will make them rot faster.

Keeping them dry and out of sunlight would be the best solution.

You probably haven't done too much harm yet though. They would have to be sitting for many years for the spray to really show it's effect.

Wash them well with soap and water and dry them off.
Thanks a lot!

·
Premium Member
7,700 Posts
The straps have plasticizers in them to help keep the straps flexible over time. It is the degradation of these plasticizers that contributes to "resin rot" and makes the straps brittle - or less plastic. Silicone spray will encourage the plasticizers to migrate out of the straps and make them "rot" faster than they would if kept dry.

Your best bet for long life is to keep your straps cool, dry and in the dark. Avoid using Silicone spray.

HTH

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am in deep trouble, I have them all sprayed and at home, I am leaving now in Gemany and will be back to Greece next year again. It is already two years and another year to get back. You think the damage done is huge?

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Depend on the kind of silicone spray that you use..

i use a light composition for car dashboard that's thin,save for vinyl,rubber,plastics, odorless and no residue.. since i live in tropical country, i've seen some of my G -- after wash it thouroughly with soap and water, just after a couple of months, i see some white residue appear on the surface and curvature of the resin... i've seen some resin rot before and these white residue is like rust to carbon steel...
after 3 years of doing this routine, none of my G, even on the stored ones develop any white residue, all still soft and supple and look just like it left the factory.

i've seen my friends g-shock resin straps fail in 2-3 years with no silicone spray... i think the hydrolysis is the culprit and lack of cleaning routine.
those white residue are nasty, might be because of the soaps,sweat,chlorine accumulation.
also some of my friends casio that stored in the drawer for years and the resin is becoming very brittle and crack with slight bending. i dont think the light silicone cleaning do more harm than leave them untreated.

for my self, it seem my silicone spray cleaning and routine is better in my climate to preserve my G's..
btw, i use soft tooth brush to apply the spray and wipe them dry with soft cotton eyeglasses cleaner sheets. i'm not storing them wet and excessive.

so it might be different treatment for different climate... i'll stand by my own way. =)

·
Registered
556 Posts
Like Iyonk said, it depends on what you're using. If it's something like Vinylex, it's probably fine. If it's a silicon based lubricant for metal parts, probably not as fine.

I wouldn't store rubber or resin pieces in anything, but do use both Vinylex and Aerospace Protectant to maintain both some G-Shock parts and other runners and plastics.

For more modern G-Shocks, that kind of maintenance is likely unnecessary. However it of course depends on the environment and use, like again, Iyonk's situation in his area. That maintenance is then necessary since he saw there was an issue.

Unless you see your stuff starting to degrade, I'd leave it to occasional preventative maintenance on the long term.

Reactions: Iyonk

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Yes mario... there are so many variable on resin rot issues... and your point about the kind of silicone is valid point.

one of the most important thing like you said is the modern formulation... there used to be some speculation on the older G that the formulation got some batch flaw.. so it degrades and rot faster.. like the vintage DW-5700, DW5900, DW5400 an so on that almost all have resin rot and can not be help with any kind of protectant/treatment. =)

one of the indicator for me is: if you see the g-shock you stored for months or almost half of a year and you see some white residu appear on the resin, then i think you need to be alarmed/concern to do some preventive... but if you live in great climate and the resin always fresh with no white residu in good lighting, then just enjoy your G =)

dimitris, did you let the resins dry up before storing? and did you use the spray very sparingly? i personally think you're fine =)

in my country, i've seen some old stock casio even got hard/brittle straps on the display of the store... so sometime i feel the humidity, acid from our hands from handling, sweat, salt, soap and so on could impact the resin if not occationally clean properly.

goodluck dimitris.

·
Banned
223 Posts
Over the last few years, I've ordered a lot of different bezels and bands from the UK and from PacParts for various G-Shock models that I own and I haven't opened up or taken them out of their Casio plastic bags. They are all stored either inside labeled large manila envelopes or in the shipping cardboard boxes that they came in, but all the resin parts are still sealed in their factory Casio plastic baggies. I have never opened up any of the factory plastic baggies yet.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I use Vinylex to clean the resin I wear and I store spare stuff in a container in the dark with a silica dehumidifying pack to absorb moisture. I think with that they should last decades just fine.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
I use Vinylex to clean the resin I wear and I store spare stuff in a container in the dark with a silica dehumidifying pack to absorb moisture. I think with that they should last decades just fine.
I thought you sold all your g-shocks and were into different brands now. Do you still have g-shocks?

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I have a dw-5600e and a Citizen Chronomaster, I use the chronomaster most of the time. Still very interested in squares :), I still have some straps and bezels. I will be buying a GW-5000 again, but I have been waiting to see if they update the line or if they release a digital MRG.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts