WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or are there striking similarities between the SMW Chronograph and the Marathon Chronograph Pilot?

• Valjoux 7750 Swiss Made Movement
  • “Date & Day” display with “Rapid Date and Day Correction”
  • Dial & Chapter ring are the same except for the brand specific printing
  • H3 Tritium Illumination
  • The minute and hour hands are very similar
  • The distinctive bezel & bezel insert
  • Chrono buttons & crown appear to be the same
  • Both use a Sapphire Crystal, 316L Case, 300m WR, 22mm Lugs (Along with 95% of the dive watch industry).
I don't know if this is common knowledge or not, I didn't find any reference to it searching WUS, but it seems clear to me that SMW is the Swiss manufacturer for Marathon.

SMW PRODUCT NO. SMW.M7.36.C1G

Marathon Chronograph Pilot WW194014

The second hand illumination is different with the SMW Chrono using H3, while the Marathon CSAR uses Maraglow, but it seems the new contract GSAR & JDD use a tritium second hand. The advertised case dimensions are slightly different, but I attribute this to Marathon making mistakes in their descriptions, IE: Case 216L.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
4,717 Posts

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Who knows whether SMW (the same company as Tawatec) makes the watches either? It's entirely possible that Marathon and SMW are branding watches from a third supplier. There has been some debate on the origins of SMW and Tawatec watches without, as far as I know, a firm conclusion being reached.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I actually thought Gallet made the Marathon watches... My understanding is that Wein Brothers (of Marathon) contract Gallet to make the government contract watches.

Reactions: Burgs

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
... It's entirely possible that Marathon and SMW are branding watches from a third supplier. ...
Definitely, either way these watches are made by the same firm.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Is it just me or are there striking similarities between the SMW Chronograph and the Marathon Chronograph Pilot?

• Valjoux 7750 Swiss Made Movement
  • “Date & Day” display with “Rapid Date and Day Correction”
  • Dial & Chapter ring are the same except for the brand specific printing
  • H3 Tritium Illumination
  • The minute and hour hands are very similar
  • The distinctive bezel & bezel insert
  • Chrono buttons & crown appear to be the same
  • Both use a Sapphire Crystal, 316L Case, 300m WR, 22mm Lugs (Along with 95% of the dive watch industry).
I don't know if this is common knowledge or not, I didn't find any reference to it searching WUS, but it seems clear to me that SMW is the Swiss manufacturer for Marathon.

SMW PRODUCT NO. SMW.M7.36.C1G

Marathon Chronograph Pilot WW194014

The second hand illumination is different with the SMW Chrono using H3, while the Marathon CSAR uses Maraglow, but it seems the new contract GSAR & JDD use a tritium second hand. The advertised case dimensions are slightly different, but I attribute this to Marathon making mistakes in their descriptions, IE: Case 216L.

What are your thoughts?
when I was purchasing my csar a couple of weeks ago. I saw this as well. I was just to lazy to make the post lol. I do like the chrono hand on the SMW

The seconds dial and hand is smaller on the SMW.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
This is clearly 100% a copy of the Marathon CSAR. Marathon makes everything direct from Switzerland inhouse and there case is made in France. The owner of Marathon is very upset about this and he will be taking legal action. Also to note, Gallet has nothing to do with this. Gallet and Marathon our completely separate.

Reactions: nvrp813

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Reactions: Burgs

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is clearly 100% a copy of the Marathon CSAR. Marathon makes everything direct from Switzerland inhouse and there case is made in France. The owner of Marathon is very upset about this and he will be taking legal action. Also to note, Gallet has nothing to do with this. Gallet and Marathon our completely separate.
If what you say is true, what legal ground does Marathon have to take legal action? Is the CSAR design patented, I've never seen anything published that they are patented or have a patent pending?

I could see legal action against the French firm who produces the cases. If they are delivering Marathon cases to SWS, that could very well be violating their contract.

As a small business owner I know how frustrating it can be to have your designs copied, I sympathize. On a side note, two of my designs from my engineering days were patented so I know how expensive that route can be also. I hope the owner of Marathon doesn't blow hundreds of thousands of dollars on attorneys over pride. I've seen that happen too, in those cases the only winners are the attorneys and the customers are the ones who lose through price increases to pay the attorneys.

Please don't misunderstand me, I am a proud owner of Marathon products, and I fully support intellectual property rights.

Best of luck to the owner of Marathon.

Reactions: myke

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
I wonder if he would appreciate you posting an official legal statement about him taking legal actions.
As a matter of fact he would because we discussed this thread and what is so official about it? Clearly a statement was made but nothing officially legal has been done about it yet.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Normally in the real world, if your not the attorney of a company...actually I'm just not to even explain it. I'm not even going to waste my time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
377 Posts
I always find the whole watch industry very strange in this regard that can you imagine the iPhone manufacturer also supplying the same phone to another company and rebranding it. I don't have a problem with how this works just seems odd but what do I know.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have one SMW and I bought online & it shipped to me directly from Switzerland. These 2 watches are same that I never know :))

fr_394.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts