WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was washing my hands today, and noticed some soapy water got on my watch and under it. I wiped the watch dry, and kept on my day. Would soap eat through the metal or something? Just thought of this (I am new to watch owning, so I have to learn some repercussions by experience.)

·
Banned
2,843 Posts
Was washing my hands today, and noticed some soapy water got on my watch and under it. I wiped the watch dry, and kept on my day. Would soap eat through the metal or something? Just thought of this (I am new to watch owning, so I have to learn some repercussions by experience.)
No, don't worry.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,772 Posts
Soap won't hurt titanium or stainless steel. It is important to rinse the soap out or it will build up in crevices. Moisture and soap can gradually corrode non-titanium parts like spring bars.

·
Premium Member
66,490 Posts
I wear a titanuim watch every other day and always get showered in it and it's come to no harm yet so you will be O.K.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Well....no, unless you use these to wash yours hands, wrists and the watch:

425.jpg Mechanic%20Soap.jpg

Reactions: busmatt

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Your watch will completely dissolve within 18 minutes of exposure.

Wait. Sorry, had to check my notes.

That is for a PAPER watch exposed to hydrochloric acid. Totally different scenario.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Call me a weenie-boy, scaredy-cat, but I never use any soap that can eat through titanium.
Then you're not washing your hands properly. Every time you get sick, it's because you're using girly-man soap. Mine can dissolve tungsten, so I use VERY little.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,193 Posts
It's Fricking Titanium! The stuff they use to make rocket engines and the armoured bathtub on an A10 warthog. Nothing can hurt titanium except depleted uranium soap thrown at it a velocities approaching the speed of light.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
It's Fricking Titanium! The stuff they use to make rocket engines and the armoured bathtub on an A10 warthog. Nothing can hurt titanium except depleted uranium soap thrown at it a velocities approaching the speed of light.
Not quite...

While titanium is resistant to oxidizing media, it is not immune and can be susceptible to pitting and crevice attack at elevated temperatures. It is, for example, not immune to seawater corrosion if the temperature is greater than about 110[SUP]o[/SUP]C.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Not quite...

While titanium is resistant to oxidizing media, it is not immune and can be susceptible to pitting and crevice attack at elevated temperatures. It is, for example, not immune to seawater corrosion if the temperature is greater than about 110[SUP]o[/SUP]C.

Damn, that's me cancelling that holiday to the Maldives then.

·
Registered
14,193 Posts
Not quite...

Thanks Captain Killjoy!
what are you doing sticking a watch in superheated seawater?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts