WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a PO 8500 42mm last June and got hooked to anything Omega ever since. I'm about to purchase the AT 8500 38.5mm "Skyfall" 231.10.39.21.03.001 this week but now I'm having second thoughts after reading rumors that the blue dial doesn't have applied white gold on the hands and indices (unlike the white dial). Is this true?

Would appreciate your inputs here. :)

Reactions: SeanoftheDead516

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
I just bought a PO 8500 42mm last June and got hooked to anything Omega ever since. I'm about to purchase the AT 8500 38.5mm "Skyfall" 231.10.39.21.03.001 this week but now I'm having second thoughts after reading rumors that the blue dial doesn't have applied white gold on the hands and indices (unlike the white dial). Is this true?

Would appreciate your inputs here. :)
As far as I know, all AT 8500s have white gold hands and applied indices.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Indeed as far as I have seen, white gold is used with exception to those with rose, yellow, or blackened gold (the latter having bronze hands).

Not quite sure how I read the following though...

"The Seamaster Aqua Terra Day-Date in subtle stainless steel
An understated member of the Aqua Terra Day-Date family, this model has a case made of sturdy stainless steel with either a matching bracelet or a leather strap. These models are available with blue or black dials and rhodium-plated hands and indexes or with a silvery dial with 18K red gold hands and indexes."

Would that indicate maybe going forward the rhodium plated indexes could be another metal, other than gold underneath? Why not state "rhodium-plated white gold"?

·
Registered
33 Posts
i have a feeling it is not white gold but 'merely' stainless steel that is plated with rhodium. after all, if you were going to market a product, why claim rhodium plated hands if you could say white gold hands.

but honestly, i wouldnt be too affected by that. as long as it looks good, doesnt really matter what it's made of

·
Premium Member
11,958 Posts
White gold is often rhodium-plated. It is called "flashing".
And, FWIW, rhodium is as expensive as gold. Plating gold with rhodium actually adds value, both aesthetically and intrinsically.

·
Registered
284 Posts
White gold is often rhodium-plated. It is called "flashing".
And, FWIW, rhodium is as expensive as gold. Plating gold with rhodium actually adds value, both aesthetically and intrinsically.
Indeed, both valid points, but my main query was whether the careful use of the wording could indicate maybe they could be moving forward with another base metal, e.g. rhodium-plated silver.

Possibly nothing to the omission of the white gold in the phrase "rhodium-plated white gold indexes and hands", but thought maybe that Omega could be changing their compositions going forward?

And also agree if it looks good, I don't really care - I chose the blackened gold model after all, and at that point had no idea there was any gold used on mine at all, and only later found out about the blackened gold/bronze combo.

·
Premium Member
11,958 Posts
Indeed, both valid points, but my main query was whether the careful use of the wording could indicate maybe they could be moving forward with another base metal, e.g. rhodium-plated silver.

Possibly nothing to the omission of the white gold in the phrase "rhodium-plated white gold indexes and hands", but thought maybe that Omega could be changing their compositions going forward?

And also agree if it looks good, I don't really care - I chose the blackened gold model after all, and at that point had no idea there was any gold used on mine at all, and only later found out about the blackened gold/bronze combo.
I think, in answer to the OP's question, Omega is quite clear that the Skyfall AT has white gold hands and indices, rhodium plating or no. Logically, one would assume the other models in the AT 8500 line would be similarly equipped (special colors excepted).

As for the Day-Date, this watch will cost as much as the AT GMT, since Omega charges the same amount for either complication. It simply would not make sense for them to aspire to compete toe-to-toe with Rolex (which does use white gold indices and hands in its stainless models) whilst somewhat surreptitiously using cheaper base metals for those hands and indices. :think:

·
Registered
688 Posts
I think, in answer to the OP's question, Omega is quite clear that the Skyfall AT has white gold hands and indices, rhodium plating or no. Logically, one would assume the other models in the AT 8500 line would be similarly equipped (special colors excepted).

As for the Day-Date, this watch will cost as much as the AT GMT, since Omega charges the same amount for either complication. It simply would not make sense for them to aspire to compete toe-to-toe with Rolex (which does use white gold indices and hands in its stainless models) whilst somewhat surreptitiously using cheaper base metals for those hands and indices. :think:
This intuitively makes sense.

What effect, if any, does the base metal have on the weight of the hands and the required torque? I assume from the periodic table that rhodium is lighter than gold and heavier than steel - with rhodium-plated gold hands I assume that more torque is required to move them than steel. Does this effect the pwoer reserve in any meaningful way?

Also, slightly off-topic, could someone who has purchased from Ace Jewellers recently please PM me?

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
I think it's mainly cosmetic. Gold is used because it is very resistant to oxidation and Rhodium makes it a little more brilliant. Rhodium is also used on the movement to prevent it from tarnishing but it will be interesting to see how these movements looks after fifty years or so. I would hope that modern PVD techniques should mean that they age pretty well.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Most nice watch companies (JLC, Omega, Rolex, etc.) use white gold hands and markers on their stainless steel models. As mentioned by GaryF, gold is very resistant to oxidation, so it is a logical choice. In addition, they are always plated in some white metal, like rhodium.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all your inputs! I visited the AD yesterday and placed my deposit for the 38.5 blue dial. They told me that the applied indices and hands are white gold; whether this is true or not, I no longer cared. The Aqua Terra "Skyfall" is just a beautiful piece and there was no way I'd walk out of the AD without reserving it. :)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Congrats, hope you enjoy you watch when you get it as much as I do mine.

Sorry for the slight sidetrack my post may have caused - I was not trying to cause doubt as to whether the Skyfall had/has white gold indexes and hands, as that is not in doubt!

The answer I received from Omega re my model, where they stated this model does not feature the SI14 balance spring, just made me think maybe they don't necessarily change/implement updates for all models throughout their life of manufacture, and the lack of description of white gold for the upcoming day-date made me think maybe they are trying a different metal under the rhodium, or why not just state it is white gold for that model - as posters have indicated, both rhodium and gold are equally precious, and surely there would be more gold content than rhodium, hence me initially finding the description odd missing out the main value of the indexes and hands, I.e. lumps of gold under the thin rhodium! - guess we won't know for sure on that model until someone poses the question direct to them.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I also heard from a trusted source that on a go forward basis, the AT8500 hands and indices will no longer be made of white gold. To me it doesn't matter. I don't think you'll see Omega explicitly advertise that one of their popular models will no longer have white gold hands or indices.

You can always contact an Omega Service Centre to get clarification if one is close to you. Alternatively you can pose this question in the Customer Service area on their website.

·
Premium Member
11,958 Posts
I also heard from a trusted source that on a go forward basis, the AT8500 hands and indices will no longer be made of white gold. To me it doesn't matter. I don't think you'll see Omega explicitly advertise that one of their popular models will no longer have white gold hands or indices.

You can always contact an Omega Service Centre to get clarification if one is close to you. Alternatively you can pose this question in the Customer Service area on their website.
Perhaps they're switching to platinum. :think:

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Thanks for all your inputs! I visited the AD yesterday and placed my deposit for the 38.5 blue dial. They told me that the applied indices and hands are white gold; whether this is true or not, I no longer cared. The Aqua Terra "Skyfall" is just a beautiful piece and there was no way I'd walk out of the AD without reserving it. :)
Congrats, you are going to love it. I've worn mine every day since the end of April and it still impresses me when I take a quick glance at it. Amazingly comfortable and suitable for all occasions. Great pick up!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts

I have heard of this too ... And from more than 1 source. Not sure if its a good thing after all and the purpose of the change.
I don't know if there is a way to tell whether the hands are made of white gold or rhodium actually.

·
Registered
197 Posts
It is indeed white gold hands and indices plated with rhodium

OUR ANSWER
Dear Mr. Ong,

We refer to your answer dated February 9th 2018.

With regards to your request, we inform you that the hands of your OMEGA timepiece are made of white gold.

We hope to have been helpful to you and remain,

with kind regards,

Your OMEGA team.

YOUR QUESTION
I am aware that the hands and markers are faceted & applied rhodium-plated. But what my question was what is the material used to make the hands and the applied markers. Is it White Gold? Brass? Stainless steel?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts