WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of watch dealers over here sell Mont Blanc pens. I'm in the market for one, and I was thinking to ask here if the FAD is a Mont Blanc retailer, as that would get me quite a good deal compared to what I could get here in Norway.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
in uk a lot of watch dealers also sell the pens. seen some on ebay but just cant trust them. dont write much but look like some great pens but i have never held one in the hand. love to know how the quality is.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
no but there are other places for them

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
what is it with watches and pens anyway?

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
they go hand in hand to me, I love fountain and other pens...just picked up a really nice Pelikan M805

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
what is it with watches and pens anyway?
i know what you mean, always love pens esp fountain makes my writing look better and i need all the help lol. never need a pen as i dont work in a office and never write letters but just like pens dont know why. p.s what are the mont blanc pens like

·
Banned
201 Posts
I have a Mont Blanc pen, I wish I had a Cartier pen. The quality is good but well. Yeah, the quality is good. Nothing else to say.

·
Registered
355 Posts
The 'problem' with Montblanc is the same as the 'problem' with Rolex - a significant number of buyers buy them not because they make a good product (which they do) but because they are the sort of people that value name recognition and prestige associated with owning expensive chattels.

The rest of us may make our buying choices based more on price and the virtues of an item aside from any prestige consideration, but if we choose to own one of the prestige brands, the chance is that someone out there will mistake us for the types who value prestige over quality. That's a problem for prestige brands, although I'd say they seem to be bearing up rather well in both cases!

If you want to buy a Montblanc pen, either bite the bullet and pay retail at one of their stores, or be careful and buy one second hand from somewhere like Ebay, watching out for the many fakes - just like we have to do with watches.

I happen to be writing with a 1990s vintage MB 146 in sterling lined pattern today, just back from the nibmeister having an M nib redone as an XXF. A pure delight to write with and because the pen had some initials on it ()which I do not care about) I probably paid about $300 less than the going rate for this particular model.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
The 'problem' with Montblanc is the same as the 'problem' with Rolex - a significant number of buyers buy them not because they make a good product (which they do) but because they are the sort of people that value name recognition and prestige associated with owning expensive chattels.

The rest of us may make our buying choices based more on price and the virtues of an item aside from any prestige consideration, but if we choose to own one of the prestige brands, the chance is that someone out there will mistake us for the types who value prestige over quality. That's a problem for prestige brands, although I'd say they seem to be bearing up rather well in both cases!

If you want to buy a Montblanc pen, either bite the bullet and pay retail at one of their stores, or be careful and buy one second hand from somewhere like Ebay, watching out for the many fakes - just like we have to do with watches.

I happen to be writing with a 1990s vintage MB 146 in sterling lined pattern today, just back from the nibmeister having an M nib redone as an XXF. A pure delight to write with and because the pen had some initials on it ()which I do not care about) I probably paid about $300 less than the going rate for this particular model.
While generally I agree, the difference is that with MB you can buy from any number of dealers for an ok discount.

·
Banned
201 Posts

That's what I was trying to express but failed to do! Ah, so which is the Omega of the pen world if we assume that Mont Blanc is the Rolex... Hm... Cartier maybe? Their pens are great and look classy too!

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
I'm writing with a Microsoft Natural Multimedia Keyboard coupled with a Razor Viper mouse for 1000DPI precision...

·
Editor
1,753 Posts
Watches and pens do go hand in hand! We recently added Montblanc watches and pens to our collection.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts