WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the date number on the dial look like it’s too high in the date window? I just noticed this. Do you think that this a problem? The date turns over fine on the watch between 3 to 4 minutes before midnight every night. It’s not jammed or anything like that.
I wish that these STEELDIVE watches didn’t have these quirks. I just returned the other 2nd STEELDIVE watch that with the stainless steel band that I got together with this one because it had a misaligned hour hand every hour when the minute hand strikes the 12. It cost me $30.04 to ship back that watch to the manufacturer where I purchased it on Alibaba.com. I requested for them to refund me for the return shipping, but I haven’t heard back from them yet. They’re supposed to send me a replacement for the misaligned hour hand.
I’m starting to believe that it’s not worth it buying any of these watches directly from China from the manufacturer onAlibaba.com or even from the selection of stores on AliExpress.
This particular STEELDIVE watch doesn’t have the same problem with the misaligned hour hand like the other one that I sent back, number in the date window seems positioned a little bit too high in the date window. The top part of the numbers are almost touching the top edge of the date window. They are not centered evenly in the date window. What’s causing the numbers on the date window to appear higher than they should be? Do you think that this is normal? Is it acceptable? Would you live with it if this was your watch? Other than the numbers being too high on the date window, the rest of the watch looks and works fine. It’s accurate to +4.5” seconds per day.
It’s a huge hassle having to send these watches back to China for these types of quirks. I don’t want to have to spend another $30 to return this watch if this is something to not worry about. I paid $170 for both watches on Alibaba.com and now my cost has gone up another $30 to a total of $200 for the expense that I incurred shipping one of the defective watches back to the manufacturer for a replacement because it had a misaligned hour hand. It’s very expensive when you have to pay for shipping to return an $85 watch like this back to China all because of quality control issues.
I have a San Martin 6105 that’s currently on order and in transit to me. I hope that the San Martin that I purchased doesn’t have these problems. I’ve heard people say that the San Martin 6105 doesn’t have these quality control issues like the other manufacturers that make the 6105 homage.

The great John Holmes wears a digital watch and Ron Jeremy wears Crocs.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Too high to me mate..but for the hassle you explained I would roll with it till you see your new inbound..plus it's keeping good time,it may roll down..rotate it a half dozen times through date..
Dave

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I never thought of rotating the crown a half dozen times through the date to see if it will correct the problem. I wonder what's causing the numbers to be sitting high in the date window? Could it be that the date wheel is not aligned properly with the date window? Or could it be that the numbers are printed too high around the circular date dial causing them to be positioned higher in the date window? If this watch really has the NH35 Seiko movement inside of it, how can Seiko allow this issue to pass inspection before it left the Seiko factory? I don't understand why whoever put together this watch didn't make sure that the numbers were properly centered in the date window. They must have inexperienced watch assemblers at the STEELDIVE watch factory. The Chinese can do better than this.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It's a ninety dollar watch with a forty dollar movement. How much time do you expect them to spend putting it together?
Would you consider this as acceptable on a $85-$0 dollar watch? I know that I don't. How much time do I expect them to spend putting it together? I expect them to make sure that there's nothing misaligned before they seal the watch. You don't get that misalignment problem with a $39 analog Timex or on a $59 Casio analog Duro Diver, so I don't expect it from an $85 SteelDive watch either.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Yet Seiko divers costing upwards of $400 have glaringly misaligned chapter rings. And people still buy them in masses(myself included). Certain brands have some QC issues. It is what it is. Either pony up for something with a better QC track record, do your research prior to purchase, or accept the minor flaws that come with a sub $100 automatic watch.

Or, hop on Amazon, pick up some tools and see if you can fix it.

I understand being upset about the date not lining up, but we aren't talking haute horology here. It's a steeldive. That all being said, I have a steeldive incoming!

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a San Martin 6105 homage incoming. I hope that the Sam Martin is better quality than the STEELDIVE and that it doesn't have the problems that the STEELDIVE has.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Would you consider this as acceptable on a $85-$0 dollar watch? I know that I don't. How much time do I expect them to spend putting it together? I expect them to make sure that there's nothing misaligned before they seal the watch. You don't get that misalignment problem with a $39 analog Timex or on a $59 Casio analog Duro Diver, so I don't expect it from an $85 SteelDive watch either.
A $39 Timex or $59 Duro is using a quartz movement that probably only costs $5.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Yes looking at the Seiko it appears there has been a slight change in the date change mechanism that either has not been communicated to the printing department or they had a lot of old date wheels to get rid of.

I don't know what it is but I have found since COVID-19 that it has become very difficult dealing with AX.
I have to fight hard to get the service that was offered automatically before hand.
I'm waiting for a dispute resolution ATM where the item is hung up in customs and neither Ali nor the seller will help with consignment notes to help me extract it.
I know it is a seller problem but I've been waiting 90 days for the unit and over 30 days for a dispute resolution.

Or maybe they have been told by the belligerent CCP to make it difficult to people in countries they don't like, Australia being one of those.

Come on India and Vietnam.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ima just leave this here. Maybe, the fact is that the upward set date makes it an even more faithful homage.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

I see the date being higher on that picture of the Seiko. The only good thing is that there's some space between the top of the numbers and the top of the date window. On mine there's no spacing at all. On mine the top edge of the numbers are overlapping the inside top edge of the date window. There's no spacing between the top edge of the numbers and the inside top edge of the date window.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
You see what I mean? Also, the number digit on the left (the number 3) looks fatter/ bigger/wider than the number digit on the right (the number 0). The number digit on the right (the 0) looks thinner and more narrower than the number 3 digit on the left. It looks as if they used smaller font on the right digit on the date wheel than they did on the left digit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Does the date number on the dial look like it’s too high in the date window? I just noticed this. Do you think that this a problem? The date turns over fine on the watch between 3 to 4 minutes before midnight every night. It’s not jammed or anything like that.
I wish that these STEELDIVE watches didn’t have these quirks. I just returned the other 2nd STEELDIVE watch that with the stainless steel band that I got together with this one because it had a misaligned hour hand every hour when the minute hand strikes the 12. It cost me $30.04 to ship back that watch to the manufacturer where I purchased it on Alibaba.com. I requested for them to refund me for the return shipping, but I haven’t heard back from them yet. They’re supposed to send me a replacement for the misaligned hour hand.
I’m starting to believe that it’s not worth it buying any of these watches directly from China from the manufacturer onAlibaba.com or even from the selection of stores on AliExpress.
This particular STEELDIVE watch doesn’t have the same problem with the misaligned hour hand like the other one that I sent back, number in the date window seems positioned a little bit too high in the date window. The top part of the numbers are almost touching the top edge of the date window. They are not centered evenly in the date window. What’s causing the numbers on the date window to appear higher than they should be? Do you think that this is normal? Is it acceptable? Would you live with it if this was your watch? Other than the numbers being too high on the date window, the rest of the watch looks and works fine. It’s accurate to +4.5” seconds per day.
It’s a huge hassle having to send these watches back to China for these types of quirks. I don’t want to have to spend another $30 to return this watch if this is something to not worry about. I paid $170 for both watches on Alibaba.com and now my cost has gone up another $30 to a total of $200 for the expense that I incurred shipping one of the defective watches back to the manufacturer for a replacement because it had a misaligned hour hand. It’s very expensive when you have to pay for shipping to return an $85 watch like this back to China all because of quality control issues.
I have a San Martin 6105 that’s currently on order and in transit to me. I hope that the San Martin that I purchased doesn’t have these problems. I’ve heard people say that the San Martin 6105 doesn’t have these quality control issues like the other manufacturers that make the 6105 homage.

The great John Holmes wears a digital watch and Ron Jeremy wears Crocs.
View attachment 15324641
View attachment 15324642
View attachment 15324643
View attachment 15324649
I'd consider throwing it up for sale on eBay and make a little profit then just ordering a new one. It's better to make a few bucks then to pay for shipping to return it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
525 Posts
I mean, for a mere $70 on Alibaba with those specs (NH35, sapphire, ceramic bezel, screw down crown & 200m WR, large 316L SS case), you can expect some to come with imperfect assembly. Even with the slight misaligned date I'd still say that's a win for the price haha.
My last $50 AliExpress watch had a misaligned date with much worse specs. Didn't make a fuss about it as you can't expect much at this price, but I threw it on eBay.

Yeah you could go San Martin and have better QC. But if you get a good STEELDIVE, you essentially have a San Martin at almost 50% of the price. I still think they are the best value 'Chinese special' at the moment, even with their imperfect QC.

Though their bracelets seem to be very mediocre. If you want something with a good SS bracelet I think San Martin might actually be better value.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Also, the number digit on the left (the number 3) looks fatter/ bigger/wider than the number digit on the right (the number 0). The number digit on the right (the 0) looks thinner and more narrower than the number 3 digit on the left. It looks as if they used smaller font on the right digit on the date wheel than they did on the left digit.
The date does look a little high. Not enough that it would bother me, but you seem to have very exacting standards, and that's okay. Embrace it and know that you're always going to have a high risk of disappointment with less expensive watches.

But your complaint on the typeface may be unreasonable. Not all characters in a set are the same width. Even in the text in this forum, the 3s are wider than the 0s. I zoomed in to the pixel detail and dropped some guidelines on top to show two things: 1) How far off the centering of the date is and 2) a comparison of the height and line weight of the 3 and 0.

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
The number in the date wheel looks just fine — its the design of the dial size itself that has caused the problem by being a fraction of a millimetre larger than it should be in accommodating the date wheel aperture.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts