WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Seriously considering buying one but can't decide between the moon watch or a somewhat similar looking and similarly priced Tag Heuer Carrera. I understand the Omega has a richer history but I can't decide if visually it looks dated? What do you think? I also like the Speedmaster Racing which to me looks more modern.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Seriously considering buying one but can't decide between the moon watch or a somewhat similar looking and similarly priced Tag Heuer Carrera. I understand the Omega has a richer history but I can't decide if visually it looks dated? What do you think? I also like the Speedmaster Racing which to me looks more modern.
The SMP does have a somewhat dated aura about it. People will say its not dated its iconic or classic but they all mean the same thing just with positive rather than negative connotations.

If you are having those thoughts now my suggestion is get the Tag which Im assuming is a cal 16 carrera which isnt a bad watch.

They are similar but very different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
As others have said, "dated" isn't the right word. Classic, classy, iconic, timeless, retro, vintage, etc are much more positive (and accurate) words to describe its look.

However, a watch that looks modern in 2016 runs the risk of looking dated very soon. That won't happen with a Speedmaster Pro.

Having said all that, I'll contradict myself somewhat and say I'm a sucker for a watch that looks very much "of its time" (there's another phrase with a positive spin!). Others might say ridiculously dated; I say "retro-cool"... :)

·
Registered
980 Posts
This is a good topic. Up until a week ago I never saw the big deal about the Speedmaster Pro aside from it's history. I'm a big fan of the date function and not a huge fan of chronographs. However, something happened within that week that influenced me to get a Speedy Pro sapphire version and now I can't stop thinking about it and looking up strap combinations. I can't tell if I'm getting it for the "right" reasons or if I've just become influenced by the overwhelming love for that watch on this forum. However, one thing is for sure...I now love the Speedy Pro and I'm even selling my SMPc that I purchased new a month ago to partially pay for the new Speedy Pro. I don't think the Speedy Pro looks dated at all. My wife, someone who always seems to love the latest and greatest (cars, bags, etc) even said that the Speedy Pro is one sexy watch despite the fact that is hasn't aesthetically changed much over the past 40 years.

Reactions: billyp7718

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
My DSOTM doesn't look dated. Neither does my Mark II reissue. Both are fresh IMO. If you're not into the history, go with the speedy that appeals to you most. Tags on the other hand look crazy busy.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
If you're asking that question then you're not ready to buy the watch yet. The decision should be obvious. It sounds like you will end up flipping whatever you buy if you have that much uncertainty right now. You should love whatever you're buying and shouldn't need to be convinced why one will be better than the other. For my preferences and interests in style, there is a very obvious choice of which watch to buy for many reasons. But people are into too many different styles of clothing, shoes, watches, etc. to say a certain style will go best with your preferred style.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
If you are buying a watch your opinion is what matters the most for you. Get what you like. That being said the Speedmaster is not dated and is a classic. To me the TAG doesn't have much character and is just another chrono.

I would take your time and make sure whatever you buy you really like and not just because others told you to like it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I believe that it is a timeless classic. The newer / modern models (to me), will end up looking dated in a few years.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'd have another in a flash if it was slightly bigger. I tried one on a few month back and it just looked lost. Cracking price as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 59 Posts