WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question came about the Archimede and why it has that symbol. I explained that it was found on the B-Uhren. I didn't know if it had any deep symbolistic meaning.:-d

Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Sorry that nobody seems to be able to answer that.
The obvious answer is that it's there to indicate 12. But just the triangle is sufficient (or the dots for that matter). And sure enough some don't have the two dots, while others do. I don't know of the reason why that is so, and if the two dots have a special meaning.

G

·
Well, I don´t know. What I know is that the B-Uhren specifications have been defined by the „Reichsluftfahrtministerium" (RLM) - Imperial Air Ministry.

Due to those specifications all B-watches had the following features in common:

A case diameter of 55 mm
Marked on the back with FL 23883 (FL = flight, 23 = navigation)
Equipped with large crowns in order to be used with gloves
Hacking movement (the second hand stops when pulling out the crown / essential for a precise time setting)
Breguet balance spring
Regulated and tested as chronometers
Long leather strap (to be worn on the sleeve of a flight jacket).

Couldn´t find out if the triangle was included. What I know is that there have been two different types of dials:

Type A (Baumuster A) from 1940 to January 1941
aclassic dial with numerals 1 - 11 and the triangle with two dots at 12

Type B (Baumuster B) starting in January 1941
Big minute numeals from 5 to 55 and a small inner circle with numerals for h, at the position of 60 min a triangle and a line on its top.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you both for the info and replies. I have always assumed it was just a military/pilot symbol.

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
I think it is a case of "over-design" ... both the triangle, and the dots, have been used to denote the "12"-orientation on dials, respectively.

The B-Uhr happened to combine both, and had luminous numerals to boot. Really triple-safety for the orientation of the dial, one might say. ;-)

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you for further info. I think all the answers explain it to me. I guess I was hoping for some deep meaning..lol. The 12 orientation makes perfect sense.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.