WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
From research it appears there are a lot of styles of Cartier and I haven't been able to find much info on this watch. The movement number Cartier 78-1 (EDIT: It's an ETA2512) is not on Ranfft and I can't find another Cartier exactly like it on the net. I am wondering if it is legit and when it might have been made. The crazing on the dial does lead me to believe it's at least vintage, maybe 1970's?

Thanks for any info you may be able to provide.

Vintage Cartier Santos Dumont 18K Gold Case 17 JWL Mechanical Movement Serviced | eBay

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Cartier inc. on the movement is ok. But this example looks like engravings were forced on plain caliber :) Just look at ratchet wheel...

What can I say, ETA got really pricey these days :O

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Not sure when Cartier started to use the secret signature on the dial,(this one has it)but they may help if do date it.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
It could be a Franken with original and non original parts but then the fakers know all about the secret script on the dial. :)

Cartier always that I know of put Rubies and not Jewels on their movements and they sure didn't put unadjusted on there either as this is for penny pinches and not for a high market brand and as mentioned by laikrodukas the quality just isn't there. Cartier also put there own caliber number on the movement as well.

The serial number on the back doesn't look nicely applied but let's say it's all correct then I still would say stay away as it would be the shoddiest Cartier I have seen.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,170 Posts
We discussed a Cartier with that movement before here:

https://www.watchuseek.com/f11/vintage-cartier-tank-stepped-dial-806818.html

It appears that Cartier at one time had a cheapo line of watches ("Must de Cartier", and others) which was based on ETA movements. And after all, ETA movements in general and this one specifically were not bad movements. The Cal. 2510 had a rather large balance for its size to ensure accuracy, made possible by displacing the geartrain towards the edge to require an indirectly driven minute gear.

Hartmut Richter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts