WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These days every watch company that makes good dives watches are "playing" with the numbers, and say it can handle 1000m, 1500m and even 3000m and more :p !!
So, what do you think?! is it really matter for a dive watch to have those depths? wouldn't it be enough to have 300m or something like that? and why is the rush for the big numbers?
(Even for a very PRO divers)

·
Registered
11,688 Posts
A depth rating of 200M-300m is adequate for the VAST majority. Why the higher ratings? It's simple. Numbers sell! Not just in watches, but in EVERYTHING! It's all about human nature, egos, and the need for so many of us to be able to say, "Mine is bigger than yours!" :-d

Just look to the ever-increasing horsepower ratings of our favorite motor vehicles to see some of the best examples of this. ;-)

·
Registered
Too many Speedys!
1,885 Posts
It's all about human nature, egos, and the need for so many of us to be able to say, "Mine is bigger than yours!" :-d

Well said! Nobody NEEDs to drive the most expensive Ferrari, but I'll bet most of us would LOVE to...

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
I think it is by far more than just about numbers and ratings, IMO it's more than an ego thing too, With the greater depth rating you also get a much more substantial time piece, CASE wall structure , thicker Sapphire crystal ?, in general a much more robust watch, I have personallly messed up a few watches over the years (ON DIVES and OFF) that where rated from 100m to 200m, both as Steve mentioned adequate for diving,Cannot argue that point as that is Valid.

So when it comes to watches, I personally want a tough SOB that can EASILY handle anything I can dish out, and the only watches I have broken in my life have been An Omega seamaster (broken crystal hit on a rock)and a few lesser rated pieces both Per mare & per terram.
For me it is all about the construction and not so much the depth, if a 200m was Heavy & bullet proof I would wear it, Hold on I do with these SOLID 200m watches.:-!

The average Joe/Josephine schmo in our daily lives, has no idea what watch we wear, and they don't care either and neither do I.

·
Registered
11,688 Posts
Shane,

You make a good point about the watches with the higher depth ratings being more massive and substantial. I actually prefer this kind of watch, not because it's necessary or because of the number associated with it, but simply because I like big, heavy watches. b-)

·
Registered
Too many Speedys!
1,885 Posts
Plus, if you ever accidentally drop a max depth rated diver into the water as you're driving over the Titanic wreck site, no worries. Just get the next expedition down there to recover it for you and it'll be workin' just fine...:-d

·
Registered
56 Posts
The depth to which a watch can dive is a great indicator of the integrity and overall strenth of the case, crystal, and crown. take a Breitling Seawolf Avenger as an example. this watch is capable of 10,000 ft. dives. This has no value to 99.9% of the people who may purchase one but the ability of this unit to withstand the trials and tribulations of years of oblivious careless use will certainly be less trying on a watch like this. I have many strong watches but this is the one that I worry least about. When I bang it into something I immediately look to seek what broke or might have been damaged. Not on the watch but on what ever it hit. These deep watches keep moisture and dust out more effectively. There is a difference in it's performance in ways too easily ignored.

·
Registered
331 Posts
A depth rating of 200M-300m is adequate for the VAST majority. Why the higher ratings? It's simple. Numbers sell! Not just in watches, but in EVERYTHING! It's all about human nature, egos, and the need for so many of us to be able to say, "Mine is bigger than yours!" :-d

Just look to the ever-increasing horsepower ratings of our favorite motor vehicles to see some of the best examples of this. ;-)

Seems strange therefore, that more watch manufacturers don't show depth ratings in feet, as these would be approximately 3 times larger than those shown in metres.

Surely they're missing a marketing opportunity ?

;-)

·
Registered
11,688 Posts
Seems strange therefore, that more watch manufacturers don't show depth ratings in feet, as these would be approximately 3 times larger than those shown in metres.

Surely they're missing a marketing opportunity ?

;-)
Many list BOTH on the dial! :-d

Besides, it's not the actual number that's important as much as it is that it's bigger than the next guy's. ;-)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts