WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
My take on it is this... What if you wore the watch everyday like they are designed to do? Would that wear out your watch?

I have had watches on my winder for almost a year. I rotate them frequently but only have 6 slots so not all my watches stay wound. But I have not had any of them break or wear prematurely, at least so far. My winder is a variable winder that stops and starts at intervals and rotates clockwise/counter clockwise throughout the day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Yes, watch winders damage the watches.

There are two common ways this happens.

1) Watch winders are using electric motors, which rely on induced electromagnetic field. Watches don't do well with electromagnetic fields, on account of the balance spring potentially becoming magnetized and changing it's timekeeping ability.

2) Watch winders are often using cheap and unreliable electric motors. They short out, a small fire starts, and your safe, or watch cabinet, or room burns down. Oopsie. Watches don't do well in conflagrated state.

Så.

Be safe. Be smart. Don't use a watchwinder.

P.S. Wasting electricity is not cool. If you wanted to do that, just go and get a quartz watch. Automatics are supposed to be special due to not relying on electric parts, so why would you ever want to strap them to an electric device?
C'mon...

Edit: well actually I take it back X2. U might be RIGHT! I used my phone's Compass which has an EMF sensor and put it on the backs of my watches Some of my watches-about 7, had elevated readings of >60microT (micro Tesla?) the watches all run fine though and one of my watches that have been running weird has normal Readings (~44 microT). I then checked the motor areas of my winders and the readings were very high (~145 microT) so I dunno what this data means. But I am going to rethink my position on winders. And going to buy a demagnetizer now.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Ok after this thread of mine I am even more confuse.

Some of you say there is a problem when make the watch run 24/24 when do not use (the guy above also post a youtube video for that)

Others said that it is still ok as long as I have a good winder. But what different from good and ok watch winder when they still make the watch run all day?

Now even in WUS have 2 opposite Idea, I know why out there people also have different opinions...
Read my edited post above and X2's post about how winders *can/might* magnetize watches.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.