WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago I was sitting on the couch and said to my wife, "which one of these two watches do you like better?" She pointed one out and I said that it was the one I liked too. I got up grabbed my wallet, pulled out my credit card and ordered the watch, all with her one foot away.

This past weekend I mentioned the watch and said it should show up soon. She looked at me and said "What watch? You ordered a watch?"

Since then I've taken great comfort in knowing she really doesn't keep track of me particularly well. This might work for me...

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I'm all sheepish about my watch buying when it comes to my wife. But she doesn't care at all. She often says, "Why don't you go buy a watch?" But she also knows I'm a tightwad, so I probably won't take her advice so quickly.
She does ask how much they cost when they arrive, to which I reply, "Not much."

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I was sitting on the couch and said to my wife, "which one of these two watches do you like better?" She pointed one out and I said that it was the one I liked too. I got up grabbed my wallet, pulled out my credit card and ordered the watch, all with her one foot away.

This past weekend I mentioned the watch and said it should show up soon. She looked at me and said "What watch? You ordered a watch?"

Since then I've taken great comfort in knowing she really doesn't keep track of me particularly well. This might work for me...
This exact situation played out to a T just a few weeks ago when I was looking at and then purchased my Luminox. The difference is, when my watch arrived I caught some flack, which means I’m on watch lock down for a bit, unless of course the watches I have up for sale actually sell.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
I get told to stop boring her with watches and just shut up and buy ......whatever the current one is I keep talking about. She knows I can not just do that as it takes me an age to decide......have you seen the Vertex military watch, now that is one I showed her and she just said 'meh, not that one'. I dare not try to get one of those now. It appears I can not win.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Like a cat, my wife notices much more than she lets on. This is a dangerous thing, and I must tread lightly.

(I wonder if she has researched the price of my watches? She once let on she thought all of my pieces cost only two figures. Ha! OTOH, last Christmas she surprised me with a Hambone and probably paid in the neighborhood of $550 for it.)

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I'm all sheepish about my watch buying when it comes to my wife. But she doesn't care at all. She often says, "Why don't you go buy a watch?" But she also knows I'm a tightwad, so I probably won't take her advice so quickly.
She does ask how much they cost when they arrive, to which I reply, "Not much."
my god ... are you me ?

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
She just takes the ones she likes, so far it has not been a problem. Currently she rotates tween a military green Hammy and a titanium ani-digi Giez G-Shock. In the past, for sailing and pottery wheel, she used a Mudman and a GW-3000BB. Long ago I got her a gold ladies fluted DJ, but she did not like it and hardly wears it.

She just shakes her head at my bronze watches. Green details catch her eye, I have noticed.

https://www.watchuseek.com/f357/she-took-my-hammy-4697313.html

https://www.watchuseek.com/f17/she-took-mudman-1646058.html

·
Banned
3,438 Posts
She either doesn't notice or pretends not to. I honestly think she just cares as much about watches as she does cars or camera gear.

·
Registered
379 Posts
No, she doesn’t want to get wrapped up in the romantic marketing, childish justifications, and illogical excuses I give.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Mine only notices the ones that are larger, like 46mm. Usually not in a good way.

She also says i have too many (15), and that i need to get rid of some.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mine is an enabler. When I say I shouldn't spend money on another watch, she says I need to do what makes me happy. She will listen to me talk about watches, flashlights and knives for hours and tell me how fascinating it is. When I am trying to decide on one, she gives me input. She helps me select new straps and comments on design, color and texture. She always nudges me toward buying.

Sent from my LGL163BL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
While my wife is extremely supportive of my interests and vice versa, I think she's lost track of my watches, what's outgoing and what's incoming. HAHA

Reactions: Brey17

·
Registered
281 Posts
I know a perfect strategy boys. Buy her a few really nice things over a period of time: jewelry, designer bags and such. Then start moaning how little you have and how life is passing you by. Then start looking at watches. Ask her for her opinion (without sharing the price). Carefully remind her how much stuff you bought her, something like: "oh, do you remember I bought you XXX..do you still wear it? I haven't seen it in a while". Then start moaning louder that you really want to buy a watch, use tactics such as "other people travel or have some expensive hobbies". Now, that you soften her, go for the kill: "Do you remember that watch I showed you? You liked it. I'm thinking to buy it now, I've been saving up and and kids have eaten yesterday, should keep them going for a while. I found this watch at XX% discount and will go buy it."

Buy the damned thing.

P.S. If this is your strategy for buying $150 Casio, you might have to re-consider your life priorities.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I get the reverse scenario more often. That's where my wife notices the watch I'm wearing and says with a sly "gotcha" grin, "Oh, is that a new watch?" It's actually a watch I bought 5 years ago and have worn 5 or 6 times a month since then. She's really not very good at that game-- I guess I shouldn't complain.

Reactions: Rotosphere

·
Registered
286 Posts
My fiance doesn't much care about watches, but is not a fan of me buying them because, "8 watches is enough." However, if I secretly buy one it would take her a while to even notice that it is new unless it is really an eye grabber. This gives me options depending on if I feel like being a truthful person on a given day or not ;)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Mine is an enabler. When I say I shouldn't spend money on another watch, she says I need to do what makes me happy. She will listen to me talk about watches, flashlights and knives for hours and tell me how fascinating it is. When I am trying to decide on one, she gives me input. She helps me select new straps and comments on design, color and texture. She always nudges me toward buying.

She's a KEEPER!!!...

Reactions: triton9809

·
Registered
1,706 Posts

Hmm, maybe you can set her up with my girlfriend in the hopes that some of that will rub off :-!:)

Reactions: triton9809

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
She also says i have too many (15), and that i need to get rid of some.
To this comment, which I have heard numerous times, I reply “a guy can never have too many watches”.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts