WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys new to this part of the forum. Just bought my first Rolex the submariner 16610. Now for anyone that has this watch does your run slow or fast? Mine right now is -4sec just making the cosc specs. A couple of questions for those that know rolex and have this watch.

Is there such thing as a breaking in period?
Is it to early to tell yet?
Will the time get more accurate with some age?
This may be a dumb question, but what is better running fast or slow?
What are variables that affect the watch running fast or slow?

Right now its still in the box. Have not worn it and is 5 days old. Thanks.

·
Registered
22,213 Posts
Welcome to the Rolex forum and congratulations on your new Sub.

Opinions differ about a breaking in period for Rolexes. I tend to fall on the side of not. Others may disagree. Most people prefer their watch to run fast as it is easier to correct by hacking than by moving the hands.

As you noted, -4 is within COSC, but you might be able to improve that with positional variance. Check out Sheldon's page on regulating your Rolex:

Minus4Plus6.com - Regulating a Rolex Watch

And now the important question--where are the pics?!

Jeannie

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
My Subs have always run fast, for some reason. My SD and Explorer 1 always run pretty well.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the Rolex forum and congratulations on your new Sub.

Opinions differ about a breaking in period for Rolexes. I tend to fall on the side of not. Others may disagree. Most people prefer their watch to run fast as it is easier to correct by hacking than by moving the hands.

As you noted, -4 is within COSC, but you might be able to improve that with positional variance. Check out Sheldon's page on regulating your Rolex:

Minus4Plus6.com - Regulating a Rolex Watch

And now the important question--where are the pics?!

Jeannie
Jeannie,

Thanks. Its nice to finally be a part. Believe it or not I have wanted a rolex since I was a kid. Its been a long time in coming.

Im a horrible with the camera, but they are coming.

More opinions are encouraged and welcomed. Thanks

·
Registered
963 Posts
If your watch is only 5 days old and never out of the box, I would go out on a limb and say that you really don't know how accurate it is yet...:think:

You need an accurate standard to check with (not a cell phone or computer), and then you need to set it once to that standard, wear it consistently to keep it wound (or wind it daily) got at least a week, then divide the variance total by the number of days....

It is my experience that a watch that is worn will be slightly faster than one that is not. This is because arm movement tends to change the dynamics slightly and the hairspring does not rotate fully and you get a faster tick.. Also, almost all of my Rolex watches are a second or so faster after a few months than they were initially........... enjoy your time-piece....:-!

·
Registered
207 Posts
My Sub 16610 is from the year 1996. Purchased it gently used from an AD where I live for $3000.00. I thought that given the condition of the watch and having been just serviced it was too good to pass up.

So far mine is gaining around 1 sec a day..:-! And looks just as good as I always thought it would on my wrist...haha

1 - 7 of 7 Posts