WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Does your watch have a story?

• There is a story behind the watch.

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • I liked the watch, and I bought the watch.

Votes: 14 73.7%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was talking with a coworker about our wristwear and I shared that I bought my watch after I'd promised myself that if I hit a stretch goal at work, I'd reward myself with a "real" watch. He shared that he just really liked the watch he bought.

Which camp do you fall into? Does the watch you're wearing have a story, or did you see something you liked and bought it?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Some have a story, some don't. One was a gift for finishing University. Several others I bought because of personal achievements. Some I just bought because I liked the watch and they could be had for decent discounts.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Birth Year Watch? loved the idea of a birth year watch but not the idea of getting something like a rolex where only a WIS could tell one year from another.

ended up finding the Omega Calypso I (1981), only made for one year, the Calypso II in 1982 and Calypso III in 1983.

a Beautiful quartz movement
calypso movement.jpg

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Option 1 for some watches, option 2 for others. There should be an option 3 in the Poll, for both.
I realize some people have many watches that may represent a gamut of significance. How about the watch you're wearing right now?

·
Banned
138 Posts
Any stories you'd like to share?
Nothing major but some presents to myself for 40th and 50th birthday presents.

A CWC SBS that I bought from Shane Delaurian (latterly of watch strap fame) in 2004 always sticks with me. He sent it to a FedEx location at Houston airport for me to pick up whilst flying in from the Middle East for a job interview. If that wasn’t a trust sale nothing is and the comms and trust in that sale stuck with me. Plus my son dropped that one hard a couple of years later putting a big flat on the case side. So when I wear that watch it reminds of a great purchase from a real character plus the ding in the case side of my 12 yo son who is now grown up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
In the beginning when time began....

·
Registered
6,883 Posts
tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick..., etc.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
ah, sounds like an ecodrive
my Seiko HiBeat 36000 goes: ticktickticktickticktickticktickticktickticktickticktickticktick
quite exhausting really

·
Registered
11,966 Posts
tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick..., etc.
Timex PTSD

·
Premium Member
64,888 Posts
Generally the only thing more boring than the story of my watches is their owner. The only teeny story applies to my Daytona. I started wanting a Daytona when I was about 15 but didn’t manage to get the money for one until I was 60 - a fair old wait even for a Rolex.

·
Registered
31,341 Posts
The night my wife almost divorced me when I accidently............forgot........ to tell her I bought another Rolex.

It is amazing the amount of blunt force your forehead can take when hit with a heavy instrument.........

I think of my forehead every time I wear that watch.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts