WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there fellow watch enthusiast,
Happy New Year!
My first post in the forum is about a recent vintage piece I acquired. Hence I love to know more about the watches I own, I tried finding more info about its brand - it was a vintage Dogma. It turned out it to be a real hard this one, so I went that extra mile and gathered all the pieces together from various places. After the first post you can check some cool ads of the brand and some pictures of my watch. Feel free to post more info and pictures in this thread.
Dogma was a watch brand produced in the period 1860-1970 by the Fabr.d'Horl Clémence Freres & Cie. (later - A. Dorsaz & Cie.) in La Chaux de Fonds, Switzerland. This one is a well-known "watch-city", where local watch-making culture dates back to the 17th century and is still alive to this very day. It seems that the company started making watches as early as 1860 since in the 60's of the 20th century they celebrated their 100th anniversary (check the vintage ad in the uploaded photos). In 1909 the company struck a deal with a watch/gold retailer Siegmund Neumann who had several stores in Basel and Luxemburg. It's very likely that later on, during the World War II this cooperation helped them become one of the Swiss manufacturers making "Dienstuhren" or Service watches for the Wehrmacht and the Luftwaffe. Some of their watches from that period are Landeron movements, but they mostly used the Anton Schild (AS) 1130 movement as most of the other comparable German Service Watches providers did - Phenix, Freco, Bulla, Glycine, Helma, Choisi, Nisus, Midi, Era, Flora, Gala, Onda, BWC, Pront, etc. Their pieces during the war were with superb quality. After the war - in 1949, the company was re-registered and the brand was transferred to the Fabrique d'Horlogerie Arthus Dorsaz & Co. They started selling Dogma on their own all over Western Europe. Not much additional info on them during the 50-60s except from October 1956 - the company filled a trademark infringement case agains a rival brand - Dog. Brand made by the Redia watch co. mainly for selling it in Tangier. The case was won by Arthur Dorsaz & Co.
Overall during their whole lifespan the Dogma watches stand for fairly priced, decent quality pieces. Known movements they've used in the 30s, 40s and 50s are FHF 2124, Anton Schild (AS) 1130, Landeron (39, 47, 48, 149), Fleurier (FEF 290) and ETA (853). During the 60's the company was still on the market, but only a handfull of Dogma pieces with Valjoux 7733 have resurfaced, so it's very likely that the company has fallen a victim of the Swiss “Quartz Crisis”.
Last known info on the brand itself is from 1972 when Aubry Frères SA acquired the rights to it. In 2008 the brand reappeared in Madrid, Spain as a low-end designer pieces made by Brit Watch Internacional, S.L. The "new Dogma" is using the old logo and claiming to have inherited the old company (this time established in 1897). They are still around and making cheap Rolex and Hublot knockoffs with questionable quality and cheap ETA movements.

P.S. I found some cool Dogma ads and will post them once I have the rights to add links. Greetings!

Attachments

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
17,870 Posts
That is correct. Anton Schild was the father (co-founder of Girard & Schild, later Eterna) of Urs, Max and Adolf Schild. The three took over the company and later, Adolf Schild opted out and founded his own ebaucherie.

Hartmut Richter

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited by Moderator)
@probep Thanks for the correction.
@laikrodukas In near future it will be serviced, cleaned and the hand replaced with the correct one. I stumbled on another one on eBay the other day - same model (dial and movement, etc), so will try to get mine as close to original condition as possible.
Also I just won another Dogma on eBay - this time Dogma Prima with the Landeron 149 :p

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Thanks for the good read and the research you did. I'm looking forward to the ads once you link them ;-)

I've got only one Dogma, with the venerable Landeron 39 column wheel movement:

I presented it here.

Best regards
Andreas

1 - 10 of 10 Posts