WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

I'm not really a "watch guy" but just an average person who saves up to buy men 'jewelry' every 2 years or so.

I come from owning Seiko divers (Seiko monster and then the 1st gen sarb). While these were not super accurate watches, they served me very well and really lasted for years without a single issue. I sold them for almost what I paid retail.

My first Tag was the caliber 16 day/date chrono. 1st time I ever spent so much on a single watch so it quickly became my daily driver. I bought it pre-owned (6 months old from original seller). After some months, watch started getting moisture underneath the crystal . It's rated for 100m. When I contacted Tag service, they pointed me to some Tag verbiage stating this is NORMAL on Tag watches ! I mean, I've owned cheap Seiko for years without any moisture so not sure. But what do I know ..I'm not a watch maker. Stupid me.

Then some months later, the moisture got worse. This time, I took it to a local AD (had to drive about 2 hours). They honored the warranty and were able to repair it in house. Apparently the seals were compromised. I sold it for cheap and then bought a brand new Aquaracer.

Within the 1st year, the crown got stripped (again, I've owned Seikos and cheap dive watches half my adult life without a single issue). Again, same AD fixed it but had to send it in for repair. Tag Service replaced the stem/crown and wait time was 3 months (the irony is I bought a $200 Orient diver which performed better than my prev Tags). I ebayed the AR afterwards for cheap with the repair paperwork. I still own the Orient to this day (and haven't had any issue with moisture nor stripped stem).

Last Tag I bought was couple of years ago (Caliber 5 carrera). In about 14 months, the time keeping got worse. I just packaged and sent it for repair and most likely will have to wait it out for another 3-4 months, especially during this pandermic. I babied this watch more than any in my small collection and it was mainly a formal dinner/event wear for the most part.

I mean, after all the money I've dumped in Tag, I could have saved up and gotten a pre-owned Omega and probably would still have the watch on my wrist. I'm saving up again but will no longer buy Tag watches. Omega might be my next stop. I can't fathom that Tag uses generic shelf ETA movements with hit-n-miss factory regulation and charges customers a premium price for cosmetics and "celebrity" endorsement status.

Of course, YMMV but this is my own personal experience with Tag Heuer watches...and it ain't pretty. - Ray

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Conversely I have 5 and none have exhibited these issue. Granted mine are mid 90s to early 00s so there may be some difference in where they were made, how they were quality controlled, etc. versus the more current versions. The only problem I have is one of my 6000 Chronographs has pushers that don't function so I can't run the stopwatch but the watch itself works fine. Sadly that's a gray market one with serial numbers that have been removed so it's not easy to get it serviced. Otherwise I have never had your kinds of issues with mine.

I will say the used one can't 100% be chalked up to TAG-Heuer since it had a life between manufacture and your owning it and you don't know for certain what it's been through. So you have to cut that one some slack. As for the second one with poor timekeeping, that's not uncommon with all watches, even those that are COSC certified. Sometimes they get a jolt you didn't realize they got or they got magnetized or otherwise un-adjusted. So that's not necessarily a fault of the watch. My quartz watches generally lose or gain about 60 seconds between DST and ST every year which is pretty good. The autos are nowhere near that accurate, even the Omega Planet Ocean, my most expensive watch. You could always send it in to TAG for a service and adjustment but you'll pay dearly for it.

If you move to Omega, you'll probably get a similar experience so that's not necessarily a solution. The better thing to do would be to find a more inexpensive brand with watches you like and just move to that instead of spending money on TAG, Omega, etc. I have moved back to Seiko after years of TAG-Heuer and have been pretty happy. My sub-$1000 watches all run fine and look as good or better than what TAG produces in my opinion.

If you've had a bad experience with TAG, it's time to find something different/better.

·
Registered
41,758 Posts
Conversely I have 5 and none have exhibited these issue. Granted mine are mid 90s to early 00s so there may be some difference in where they were made, how they were quality controlled, etc. versus the more current versions. The only problem I have is one of my 6000 Chronographs has pushers that don't function so I can't run the stopwatch but the watch itself works fine. Sadly that's a gray market one with serial numbers that have been removed so it's not easy to get it serviced. Otherwise I have never had your kinds of issues with mine.

I will say the used one can't 100% be chalked up to TAG-Heuer since it had a life between manufacture and your owning it and you don't know for certain what it's been through. So you have to cut that one some slack. As for the second one with poor timekeeping, that's not uncommon with all watches, even those that are COSC certified. Sometimes they get a jolt you didn't realize they got or they got magnetized or otherwise un-adjusted. So that's not necessarily a fault of the watch. My quartz watches generally lose or gain about 60 seconds between DST and ST every year which is pretty good. The autos are nowhere near that accurate, even the Omega Planet Ocean, my most expensive watch. You could always send it in to TAG for a service and adjustment but you'll pay dearly for it.

If you move to Omega, you'll probably get a similar experience so that's not necessarily a solution. The better thing to do would be to find a more inexpensive brand with watches you like and just move to that instead of spending money on TAG, Omega, etc. I have moved back to Seiko after years of TAG-Heuer and have been pretty happy. My sub-$1000 watches all run fine and look as good or better than what TAG produces in my opinion.

If you've had a bad experience with TAG, it's time to find something different/better.
That won't take much effort.

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
I had the Aquaracer crown stripping problem also. Customer service tried to make me pay to fix it but eventually relented.

The whole incident really turned me off of the brand and I haven't purchased another TAG since.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
The crown stripping is a known issue with certain Aquaracer models for sure.

However, I've seen "moisture under the crystal" threads from many different brands on this forum, including quite a few from Omega. If it ever happens, it'll be down to the seals, so you need to get that watch in for repair asap to make sure the moisture is removed and the watch re-sealed before that it does further damage.

Similarly, mechanical movements not keeping time - happens all the time. And since TAG uses ETA or Sellita movements for the Calibre 5, then this is going to be the same movement in a number of watches from other brands too. I mean there are about 200 minute parts in a mechanical movement, so just like in a car, it's not hard for something to go wrong from time to time.

So in summary, things can go wrong and that's not unique or more common with TAG. What seems to have soured you against them is the customer service you received when they did.

I've found that customer service outcomes very often depend on two things - the quality of the person who you end up dealing with (either at the AD or at TAG), and the way that you yourself conduct your interactions with that person.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
I've never bought a new tag but I can say that the few used ones I've bought have not one had any problems, currently have a wak2110 and so far excellent.

Reactions: fskywalker

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Only Tag I've owned was the aquaracer polar dial and it served me very well (not the most accurate though). I sold it for a Breitling superocean.

The Superocean was my daily driver for 4 years and it was running COSC even after that and no service. I sold it to get my planetocean and that's running almost perfect. Omega's 8900 is one of the best movement to date for any watch under $5k.

My co-worker owns a Omega sea master (older version) for over 10 years and he's not even a watch guy and it runs fine with excellent accuracy (no service either).

If you look up Amazon reviews on Aquaracers and Carreras, the moisture and crown issues are well reported (by verified owners). More so than Oris, Hamilton and Omega (but oranges to pears here).

OP, also look at Oris divers (better regulated at factory than Tag) and they are true dive watches VS being a "dress-diver". However, their integrated lug design is a pain in the rear for aftermarket straps, etc.

·
Premium Member
Hamilton Jazzmaster, Rolex Datejust, GMT Master II, Omega Speedmaster Racing, Orient Kamasu
81 Posts
I bought a Tag Carrera Calibre 5 brand new about 7 years ago. Never had an issue, it keeps great time and it's a beautiful timepiece. I don't wear it as much as some of my others, but I can't convince myself to let it go. I wouldn't hesitate to get another. Just my experience!

·
Registered
41,758 Posts
The crown stripping is a known issue with certain Aquaracer models for sure.

However, I've seen "moisture under the crystal" threads from many different brands on this forum, including quite a few from Omega. If it ever happens, it'll be down to the seals, so you need to get that watch in for repair asap to make sure the moisture is removed and the watch re-sealed before that it does further damage.

Similarly, mechanical movements not keeping time - happens all the time. And since TAG uses ETA or Sellita movements for the Calibre 5, then this is going to be the same movement in a number of watches from other brands too. I mean there are about 200 minute parts in a mechanical movement, so just like in a car, it's not hard for something to go wrong from time to time.

So in summary, things can go wrong and that's not unique or more common with TAG. What seems to have soured you against them is the customer service you received when they did.

I've found that customer service outcomes very often depend on two things - the quality of the person who you end up dealing with (either at the AD or at TAG), and the way that you yourself conduct your interactions with that person.
They seem to be moving at catatonic speed to fix that stripping problem.

·
Registered
7,990 Posts
Hello all

I'm not really a "watch guy" but just an average person who saves up to buy men 'jewelry' every 2 years or so.

I come from owning Seiko divers (Seiko monster and then the 1st gen sarb). While these were not super accurate watches, they served me very well and really lasted for years without a single issue. I sold them for almost what I paid retail.

My first Tag was the caliber 16 day/date chrono. 1st time I ever spent so much on a single watch so it quickly became my daily driver. I bought it pre-owned (6 months old from original seller). After some months, watch started getting moisture underneath the crystal . It's rated for 100m. When I contacted Tag service, they pointed me to some Tag verbiage stating this is NORMAL on Tag watches ! I mean, I've owned cheap Seiko for years without any moisture so not sure. But what do I know ..I'm not a watch maker. Stupid me.

Then some months later, the moisture got worse. This time, I took it to a local AD (had to drive about 2 hours). They honored the warranty and were able to repair it in house. Apparently the seals were compromised. I sold it for cheap and then bought a brand new Aquaracer.

Within the 1st year, the crown got stripped (again, I've owned Seikos and cheap dive watches half my adult life without a single issue). Again, same AD fixed it but had to send it in for repair. Tag Service replaced the stem/crown and wait time was 3 months (the irony is I bought a $200 Orient diver which performed better than my prev Tags). I ebayed the AR afterwards for cheap with the repair paperwork. I still own the Orient to this day (and haven't had any issue with moisture nor stripped stem).

Last Tag I bought was couple of years ago (Caliber 5 carrera). In about 14 months, the time keeping got worse. I just packaged and sent it for repair and most likely will have to wait it out for another 3-4 months, especially during this pandermic. I babied this watch more than any in my small collection and it was mainly a formal dinner/event wear for the most part.

I mean, after all the money I've dumped in Tag, I could have saved up and gotten a pre-owned Omega and probably would still have the watch on my wrist. I'm saving up again but will no longer buy Tag watches. Omega might be my next stop. I can't fathom that Tag uses generic shelf ETA movements with hit-n-miss factory regulation and charges customers a premium price for cosmetics and "celebrity" endorsement status.

Of course, YMMV but this is my own personal experience with Tag Heuer watches...and it ain't pretty. - Ray
Sorry to hear! Don’t currently own any Tags currently but the ones owned in the past were great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have one Tag from 2000 (Professional) and one I bought last year (Carrera 02 Sport). Both look great and have worked flawlessly.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I have owned various Tags since 2008. Currently have a Carrera Caliber 5 in my collection. Only issue I had was with automatic winding on an Aquaracer. It was fixed under warranty and ran flawlessly for years. All my Tags have been stunningly accurate. YMMV

Reactions: TeeFuce

·
Registered
487 Posts
Sorry to hear. I’ve had the opposite experience. I got mine 26 years ago and other than two trips back to Switzerland for expected service it hasn’t missed a beat.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I have only ever purchased pre-owned TAGs. But, my first two (CV2A12, and a Carrera dress watch) both had the same issue. On both watches one day I just noticed they weren’t running. When I investigated it turns out that the rotor wouldn’t spin on either watch. Both times it was an easy fix. But, when I took my first one to the A.D. they wanted to charge me $800 for a full service. I took it to another watchmaker who charged me $25 to actually add some lubrication, which apparently was missing. It never had a problem after that until I got rid of it.
I’ve owned several more tags, both quarts and automatic, and haven’t had any issues with any of them.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
I have 3 Tags (2 officially branded, and a LeJour chrono with a cal 16).

Not a single one is younger than 15 years of age, and none have needed anything since. I regulated with a timegrapher when I got them and they are all within COSC specs to this day. Maybe I got lucky, maybe you shouldn't judge a manufacturer too quickly when buying used.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I’m another one with the exact opposite experience. I had a 1887 for a few year that was amazing to own, looks great on the bracelet but was just a little chunky for my personal taste.

As far as customer service, after finally receiving my Carrera 510.511 back from a complete restoration I couldn’t be happier with the job they did but also the communications throughout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Unfortunately, I’m one of the unlucky ones to have a bad experience with Tag quality and poor customer service. My brand new Aquaracer lasted about three weeks before falling apart and my watch needs a new face.

The AD contacted Tag and was told to send it in and they’d expedite the repair and have it back in a week. Surprise, surprise.. a week has come and gone and my watch is still “in the queue” to be looked at.

It’s bad enough that my brand new watch is defective but it’s very frustrating for Tag to not live up to their promise. At this point the whole experience has really ruined the excitement of getting a new watch. It really sucks because it was my 40th bday gift from my wife.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Unfortunately, I’m one of the unlucky ones to have a bad experience with Tag quality and poor customer service. My brand new Aquaracer lasted about three weeks before falling apart and my watch needs a new face.

The AD contacted Tag and was told to send it in and they’d expedite the repair and have it back in a week. Surprise, surprise.. a week has come and gone and my watch is still “in the queue” to be looked at.

It’s bad enough that my brand new watch is defective but it’s very frustrating for Tag to not live up to their promise. At this point the whole experience has really ruined the excitement of getting a new watch. It really sucks because it was my 40th bday gift from my wife.

View attachment 16030457
That's very unfortunate, but a week is not a long time by any means for a watch to be repaired. I'm sure they will put you right, though.

·
Registered
10,798 Posts
Hate to break it to you. Omega can have these issues too. Usually they are movement or QC related. I wouldn't say it's a lot, enough to cause concern. I got a bad one years ago. All others have been brilliant

1 - 20 of 24 Posts