WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I only have 2 automatics so far (Seiko OM and Ingersoll Bison No.4), and both manuals tell me to not wind the power between 10am and 2pm.

Does that mean, when the watch reads 10a-2p, do not wind?
Or does that mean, when I want to set it between 10a-2p, do not wind?

Thanks

edit: can't even wind my OM even after a few hours of wearing...

·
Registered
466 Posts
I've changed the date on my Omega PO between those hours a couple of times without realising and not had any issues. But like you I've been warned it's not a good idea and can lead to things getting screwed up.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Thank you sir. I should be safe since I always set the date and time with the minute hand.

My Ingersoll's manual says I could damage the watch IF I set the date between 10a-2p but I think I can only set it using minute hand.
It's a Chinese watch and they got it wrong....It's 10PM and 2AM....Sometimes they goof in translation.

·
Registered
29,076 Posts
Yes, those times are considered no-man's land for messing with your watch. Mostly because of the date function, but always best to try to find another time other than 10-2 to be safe.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Yes, those times are considered no-man's land for messing with your watch. Mostly because of the date function, but always best to try to find another time other than 10-2 to be safe.
Aside from the date change mechanism, there shouldn't be anything else special about this time period. I have never heard of any restriction on winding during the time, nor can I think why it would cause any harm (but I'm not a watchmaker.) You shouldn't change the date during this period, nor set the time in reverse (date change mechanism isn't designed to go in reverse). I can't see any problem with winding or setting the time forward though.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
So I only have 2 automatics so far (Seiko OM and Ingersoll Bison No.4), and both manuals tell me to not wind the power between 10am and 2pm. . . . . . . .
Ly, bring the disinfectant and flamethrowers. Another horological myth to disinfect/exorcise.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Nonsense. You can wind the watch anytime, changing date is not recommended at that time, unless you do it by rotating hands forward to change it in which case you just accelerate the normal date changing operation which is yet again harmless.

If you shouldn't wind the watch between those hours, that would mean you're not suppose to move your arms around with an Automatic watch, because it would wind itself at the wrong hours lol...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts