WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Haven't posted in awhile but I wanted to get an opinion on something that's been bugging me........

Some time ago there was a couple of posts here and there about watches not being as popular since people normally just carry a cellphone.

But over the last few days I've read a couple of articles on watch cellphones debuting at various electronic shows.
Admittedly I think they have a loooong way to go before that have something that's truly viable.
But Its like things have come nearly full circle. What does this mean for the watch industry overall?

Just found it curious.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I think watches will have a lasting product life cycle.

Although the cellphone may be a substitute for the watch in terms of usage, using the watch to read time isn't the only purpose of owning or wearing a watch.

Other purposes like accessorising for the overall look, and collecting timepieces as a hobby, are what that make the watch irreplaceable by the cellphone, and what will keep the industry going.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
There are situations at work where I have to make sure a co-worker will know the time and will ask if they have a watch. Its amazing to me how many say, "No, but I have my cell phone." I find it highly irritating. One, who doesn't need to know the time, and two, cell phones are not allowed at work!
Unfortuanately, cell phones have already started taking over, but I will never replace wearing a watch for carrying a phone all the time, no matter how small they make them.

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
In our lifetime (well mine, anyway) I don't see any great shifts in the industry. The pattern so far is that items that combine functions tend not to perform the individual functions as well as dedicated products. There might be some shift as technology improves, but not enough to fundamentally change the market.

Most people who like watches will always want them to be watches. The ever-increasing market for mechanical watches is an interesting case in point. Rationally, it shouldn't exist. Quartz virtually killed it, but it survived and flourished again. People don't necessarily want the most rational 'do it all' products.

Watches have appeal beyond functionality, and although functionality may be paramount for many on this forum, it's not actually what drives most purchases.

I'd as soon have a phone in my watch as a TV in my hat. ;-)

·
Registered
219 Posts
....deleted

Watches have appeal beyond functionality, and although functionality may be paramount for many on this forum, it's not actually what drives most purchases.
most watches are more a part of jewelry nowadays, anyway, right?
isn't that's why G comes in many "crazy colors", "street style"?
and we (I) wear the reverse display even though it's actually a pain really to tell the time o| :-d

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I do have the feeling that in the not too distant future, watches will become redundant, but not because of mobile phones or clocks being imbedded into every device people can buy. I think watches as a necessity will fall by the wayside when the current time paradigm changes.

Collecting and wearing watches will still be fun, but just not so practical anymore.

·
Registered
591 Posts
+1 on what Tribe said.....

It seems that our beloved watches have been the unwilling counterpart in all sorts of "additions". We've seen everything from remote controls, tv's, to calculators (which i do like). While some of these features are very useful and appeal to most like alti, baro, and compass for example. Others can be more of a gimmick than useful. So while you can add certain features and take others away at the end of the day the most important feature is that it tells time! And that is why we wear them |>

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Most people who like watches will always want them to be watches. The ever-increasing market for mechanical watches is an interesting case in point. Rationally, it shouldn't exist. Quartz virtually killed it, but it survived and flourished again.
It's interesting that you bring that up. I also find it very curious, if not hilarious, that we now see this "shift" in technology coming from both sides.

Case in point: http://www.uncells.com/

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I am lost on this as well. Please explain.

WJR
The concept of time is entirely artificial. It has been used by design or accident as a means to enslave populations to unnatural limitations and processes. When you're wearing and using watches/clocks, you're complying with a conceptual system that is not reflective of your internal and nature's external bio-rhythms. Nature's 'clocks' have nothing in common with artificial clocks. Even something as basic as having 12 months in a year is not reflective of nature. If farmers did everything based on artificial time, they would fail very quickly.

Humans evolved to be in tune with nature; the seasons, moon/tide phases, equinoxes, daylight etc. Artificial time disrupts that connection to earthly processes. We're always out of whack with natural rhythms as a result. This is why the Yes natural 'time' watches invoke a more heightened sense of connectedness to nature in the wearer. It takes the mind a little while to get used to the concept of natural time which is revealing. Usually, there is an improved sense of wellbeing as a result because you're then more aware, and are tending to cooperate with your own natural rhythms.

I believe that artificial time, for as long as it has existed, has been one of the underlying influences on global health and wellbeing issues, and hence why it will become much less of a constraint we have to live by to 'make a living' on this planet in the not too distant future.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
"Entirely artificial".... Doesn't our current time structure base itself on the rotational time of the planet and the orbit of it around the sun? If that's not natural I don't know what is.

Our method of telling time is not a result of observation and valid attempts to measure nature but possibly from some unspoken conspiracy to "enslave populations"? Can you please point to some facts to back this up? I'd also like to read up on how changing the way we measure the year can make us all more healthy.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Nate, I'm not posting a debate blog on this topic here, merely stating my opinion. If you really want to investigate it for yourself, please feel free to travel the many winding search paths you will find on the net and make your own mind up.

I'm a firm believer that personal experience is more important than so called 'facts' or 'laws' that get bandied around a lot through text books, the media and internet etc; many of which contradict each other, or are subsequently found not to be the truth; and I have two science degrees.

In my experience, being a slave to 'time' contributes heavily to the 'stress' and fatigue that plague modern societies. One of the best holidays you can have is to go somewhere close to nature and not take a phone or watch with you. It's holidays like this where people often feel how truly exhausted their bodies are.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
I won't debate it either but I'm pretty sure the day is nearly 24hrs long and the year is nearly 365 long and my watch matches that pretty well. "Entirely artificial" is a bit of a stretch ...I'll now leave it at that.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The concept of time is entirely artificial. It has been used by design or accident as a means to enslave populations to unnatural limitations and processes. When you're wearing and using watches/clocks, you're complying with a conceptual system that is not reflective of your internal and nature's external bio-rhythms. Nature's 'clocks' have nothing in common with artificial clocks. Even something as basic as having 12 months in a year is not reflective of nature. If farmers did everything based on artificial time, they would fail very quickly.

Humans evolved to be in tune with nature; the seasons, moon/tide phases, equinoxes, daylight etc. Artificial time disrupts that connection to earthly processes. We're always out of whack with natural rhythms as a result. This is why the Yes natural 'time' watches invoke a more heightened sense of connectedness to nature in the wearer. It takes the mind a little while to get used to the concept of natural time which is revealing. Usually, there is an improved sense of wellbeing as a result because you're then more aware, and are tending to cooperate with your own natural rhythms.

I believe that artificial time, for as long as it has existed, has been one of the underlying influences on global health and wellbeing issues, and hence why it will become much less of a constraint we have to live by to 'make a living' on this planet in the not too distant future.
Okay? That would kind of screw up "last call" at your local tavern. :think:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Nate, I'm not posting a debate blog on this topic here, merely stating my opinion. If you really want to investigate it for yourself, please feel free to travel the many winding search paths you will find on the net and make your own mind up.

I'm a firm believer that personal experience is more important than so called 'facts' or 'laws' that get bandied around a lot through text books, the media and internet etc; many of which contradict each other, or are subsequently found not to be the truth; and I have two science degrees.

In my experience, being a slave to 'time' contributes heavily to the 'stress' and fatigue that plague modern societies. One of the best holidays you can have is to go somewhere close to nature and not take a phone or watch with you. It's holidays like this where people often feel how truly exhausted their bodies are.
bluegum,

Thanks for clarifying. Very interesting concept.

WJR

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
bluegum, Appreciate the explanation. If I may ask, when you speak of the nature's external bio-rhythms, these vary based on your location on the planet correct?

Up until 12 years ago I lived south in the state of Tennessee. I moved to Michigan for work. It was readily apparent when I moved here a definitive shift in "time" so to speak. Down south the number of hours of daylight varied between summer and winter months, but in Michigan daylight hours varied more drastically. Here in michigan sunset in the summer time can go as late as 9:30. But in winter time it gets dark at 5:00.

As for my original topic. I just find it interesting the old and new technologies seem to be converging.

Perhaps in an futile attempt to better align with the current time paradigm?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Hold your wrist against your ear for half an hour. Comfortable? Probably not. Wrist phones have been tried before - they're an awful idea. The idea of a watch screen as as a control and display device for a media player and news/Net summary makes more sense.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts