WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Found a brand new Datograph in Switzerland and one pre owned in the us for only $4k cheaper but it comes with a deployant clasp. Value for the clasp is not cheap ($7k) so over a $10k split total but I definitely figured new would take a bigger depreciation hit than that. Thoughts on new vs pre owned? I’ll preface that comment with I have only bought one watch brand new and it was a gift from my wife when we got married. All others pre owned.
Considerations:
  • Additional transaction costs/risks (Customs duties, state Use Tax, additional risk of theft in transit and resolving problems, etc.) involving a foreign transaction
  • Whether "new" means new from a Lange AD or if it's a preowned dealer who is selling it as "new/unworn"
    • If new from AD, then ask AD if they can sell you the watch on a deployant but they keep the tang buckle, and see what the price difference is (because you don't need both buckles)
  • Condition of preowned watch
    • Time remaining on Lange warranty (either original Lange warranty or post-servicing Lange warranty)
    • Does it need servicing now? Servicing price list is here.
    • If/when was it last serviced BY LANGE (and does it have the servicing paperwork from Lange?)
    • Whether a non-Lange watchmaker has ever opened the caseback (often obvious upon close inspection)
    • Whether case/lugs are (over)polished
    • Whether it is full set, box/papers
  • 18mm platinum Lange deployant usually costs about $5K preowned (f you can find one -- not sure how available they are these days)

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Pulled the trigger on a Datograph up/down. Very happy and excited to get my new watch. Thanks all for the thoughts and feedback. I will make a new post once I have some pictures to share!
Did you get the new one or the pre-owned one?

21 - 35 of 35 Posts