WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I had a single luxury watch for a while in my Bremont S500 (a stellar watch in every way imaginable) but I recently sold it to fund some other hobbies and plus now that I did the luxury watch thing, my watch fetish has diminished greatly.........however, I still want to have a nice $600-1400-ish watch.

Was thinking of going back to a pre-owned or new one of the following........

Oris Aquis Date (have had a couple and thoroughly enjoyed them),
or perhaps a
Seiko MM300 (had one and loved it but know its limitations),
or maybe a
Longines Legend (although might be too small),
or maybe a
Tag Aquaracer Calibre 300m,
or maybe go lesser with
Seiko Monster SZSC003 (just discovered this handsome watch)

The Oris I had in mind is the following......

http://www.jomashop.com/oris-watch-01-733-7653-4127-07-8-26-01peb.html

Reminds me of the Depth Gauge without the size and weight.

The Seiko is....... https://www.amazon.com/SEIKO-PROSPEX-LIMITED-MODEL-SZSC003/dp/B01N01Q41G

The Tag is.......... http://www.jomashop.com/tag-heuer-watch-way201a-ba0927.html

The MM300 is ........... SEIKO Marine Master Professional 300M Diver Automatic SBDX017 JAPAN MA – seiyajapan.com

Again, for the higher priced ones I'd need to find one for less pre-owned.

Thoughts? Advise?

I really have nothing now (other than a Seiko Turtle which I really don't love) as I was really a one-watch guy.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
764 Posts
So I had a single luxury watch for a while in my Bremont S500 (a stellar watch in every way imaginable) but I recently sold it to fund some other hobbies and plus now that I did the luxury watch thing, my watch fetish has diminished greatly.........however, I still want to have a nice $600-1400-ish watch.

or perhaps a
or maybe a
or maybe a
or maybe go lesser with

The Seiko is....... https://www.amazon.com/SEIKO-PROSPEX-LIMITED-MODEL-SZSC003/dp/B01N01Q41G

The Tag is.......... http://www.jomashop.com/tag-heuer-watch-way201a-ba0927.html

The MM300 is ........... SEIKO Marine Master Professional 300M Diver Automatic SBDX017 JAPAN MA – seiyajapan.com

Thoughts? Advise?

I really have nothing now (other than a Seiko Turtle which I really don't love) as I was really a one-watch guy.

Thanks for your input.
I was eyeing the same Oris for sometime and finally saw one in person and was quite impressed. I felt the need to get an Omega PO instead for some reason which I regret. I'm downgrading as well (PO is up for sale) to just an Aquadive for the moment. I'll most likely keep an eye out for an Oris though.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Out of the list I would definitely go with the Oris Aquis! It's just the best in its price range and above! I have one and its my favorite.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
209 Posts
Another vote for the Aquis. I don't own an Aquis but do have a BC3 Advanced and a Divers 65 40mm. Been an Oris fan since picking up my first one in Dec 2013 and plan on picking up a few more of their models (Aquis, Divers 65 42mm and maybe a ProPilot) when funds permit. I have owned a 2531.80 Seamaster for 22 years and find that I really like my Oris's more lately.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Of those listed, the Oris. But I also think Chris Ward Trident 600 and the Mido shown above are worthy too. There is also the drool worthy Sinn 104 on bracelet, near the top of your budget.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
There are no losers in any of the choices you have before you.

My opinions:
. The Aquis really is as good as its reputation. One of the best bracelets in the business, from any manufacturer.
. As much as I love Seiko (owning six of their divers from SKX up to Tuna), the MM300 has a few disadvantages compared to the others: Hardlex rather than sapphire crystal, lacquered rather than ceramic bezel, an unregulated 8L35 movement that many report uneven timekeeping which shouldn't be at this price point), plus you already have a Turtle, which is a fantastic low-priced diver.
. In general, the watch community is down on TAG for reasons that escape me. I like the Aquaracer a lot but it's fairly pricey compared to the Aquis.
. I've never seen a Longines so can't comment other than to say this a good brand with a long distinguished history

And we definitely need a picture in this thread.

IMG_0295.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I have to agree with a lot of the consensus here OP, Oris has a solid model and that ratcheting clasp with the rubber strap is awesome stuff. You may want to wait for the new Oris Aquis Date 2017 model though. Also, thank you for sharing the update on the new Seiko Monster line, the classic Orange is back with a vengeance too in the same format I see. I like the SZSC003 a lot, though it may or may not scratch the itch in areas like the quality of the bracelet and clasp.

I also don't get the hate on TAG here, though not all of their models are created equal or of high quality. I owned the Aquaracer 300 and thought it was really nice. I picked up a Vintage VDB after having a bout of feeling the same way you do, went through Breitling, Omega and Rolex...just got bored and felt I was not getting my monies worth with a lot of companies. Oddly enough I have the Vintage VDB up for sale at a steal of a price, as I am always flipping. I also like Doxa a lot, though have been told it's less amazing on the wrist once owning it...I don't know, I'm a sucker for orange!

Here is a pic of my Aquaracer I owned and my current Vintage VDB 2016

IMG_7211.JPG IMG_7645.JPG

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Wow, the VDB is a very nice looking diver. Wots the case size?

EDIT: Found your ad, nice looking watch.. huge for me yet still stunning. Best of luck selling the beast.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Wrists over 7 inch?
I'd have a hard time passing up on a used 017 mm300 if I was looking to spend $1500 on a one watch diver.
Pick up some good rubber for daily wear and switch out for the bracelet to change/ dress it up occasionally.

Still have a big soft spot for my old 001......
Highly desirable imperfect watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I would go with either the oris or the TAG. The MM is just too thick for a one and only for me. At half the thickness I would be all over it. The monster isn't really a fair comparison, it would be a good second watch as it's not in the same galaxy as the others.

Although I have never owned an oris I have fondled a few and they seem like very good watches. I have the quartz version of the TAG you are considering and it ticks a lot of boxes for me. It's nice but not too nice, it has decent lume, decent build quality, it's super thin. Love the 41mm size, the proportions are good. It's relatively inexpensive. So far it's a great all arounder.

·
Registered
692 Posts
The SBDX001 is definitely attainable within your price range. I would be concerned if I was a regular suit wearer whether it would work under regular cuff sizes but as I'm based in FL it's a non issue for me.

For me the crystal is a complete non issue as it's recessed out of harms way in any case. There is a/r so it's not a reflection magnet. I can't attest to the durability of the bezel insert but the high gloss shine applied to it makes it the equal of any ceramic but with additional kudos points for taking a different approach.

It's a hell of a lot of watch absolutely loaded with cachet and heritage for a good price. I won't deny that it is flawed - brilliant but flawed...

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
This watch just keeps getting better to me, absolutely nothing I don't like about it, looks killer on an aftermarket mesh too if rubber isn't your thing.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I would go for an oris or sinn104 on bracelet. I do Norns like tag as a brand at all and I think the marinemaster is too expensive when for similar money you could get a ETA Tudor black bay

·
Registered
10,115 Posts

or perhaps a
or maybe a
or maybe a
or maybe go lesser with

Thoughts? Advise?

Thanks for your input.
I have pretty limited experience with those watched - though I've always liked the Tag Heuers when I've looked at them up close. And come close to buying one at various times.

From my own experience, both a Doxa and a Tudor Black Bay would be exceptional choices - and I think both would fit into your price range preowned. My Doxa 1000T is a heck of a good watch. I've owned it since new, after receiving it as a Christmas gift in 2009. So it's been on my wrist for going on 8 years now. Couldn't be happier with it's look, feel, quality and accuracy.

My Tudor is also an incredible piece, though the lack of a date might turn people away. More traditional than the Doxa. And probably more expensive on the second hand market. But a heck of a high quality piece.

·
Registered
464 Posts
There is no way he Is getting a Tudor black bay for 1400 usd. It's a great watch just out of his price range. The 41mm blue ETA would be my recommendation if his budget would stretch as it will be cheap to service in future and the classic design I think will stand the test of time. He just simply is not getting one unless he stretches his budget

·
Premium Member
7,646 Posts
I have to agree with a lot of the consensus here OP, Oris has a solid model and that ratcheting clasp with the rubber strap is awesome stuff. You may want to wait for the new Oris Aquis Date 2017 model though. Also, thank you for sharing the update on the new Seiko Monster line, the classic Orange is back with a vengeance too in the same format I see. I like the SZSC003 a lot, though it may or may not scratch the itch in areas like the quality of the bracelet and clasp.

I also don't get the hate on TAG here, though not all of their models are created equal or of high quality. I owned the Aquaracer 300 and thought it was really nice. I picked up a Vintage VDB after having a bout of feeling the same way you do, went through Breitling, Omega and Rolex...just got bored and felt I was not getting my monies worth with a lot of companies. Oddly enough I have the Vintage VDB up for sale at a steal of a price, as I am always flipping. I also like Doxa a lot, though have been told it's less amazing on the wrist once owning it...I don't know, I'm a sucker for orange!

Here is a pic of my Aquaracer I owned and my current Vintage VDB 2016

View attachment 11189394 View attachment 11189418
I'd be surprised given the pieces you have owned, that the right Doxa for you would not be a good thing..but you never know till you have a go ...they do orange very well.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think the Oris would be the best on the list, however, you may want to consider the Longines Hydro Conquest and the Certina DS action diver!
I have the Longines HC and it's an incredibly accurate time keeper
image.jpeg

1 - 20 of 32 Posts