WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s up Watch Fam!

Before I start, I know this question and the responses are all relative to each person so just looking to get some opinions.

I’m looking to trade in my 3 watch collection for a 116610LN.

I currently have:

Tudor Black Bay Black ref 79220N
Tudor Pelagos Black ref 25500
Rolex Explorer ref 214270

Due to current pricing, it looks like I can evenly trade all these in for the Sub.

I love the three I have, all with their own uniqueness. Having three watches gives me time to appreciate them all at different times. The Explorer gets the most wrist time while at work. The other two I wear for the pool and outdoor activities. It’s nice to be able to have the selection of three very different watches. I have built this little collection over the last 4 years. Always wanted a Sub but could never plop down the money all at once. Instead I have spent more then the cost of a sub in total, on the three watches, just spread out over time. I’m not worried about that as I have enjoyed them all and was never in it to make money. I understand I will be taking a loss but again, I purchased these all at different times and have enjoyed them.

I can see myself only having one watch. I have always loved the Sub so I don’t think I would grow bored with just one watch everyday.

I cannot justify keeping them all, and adding the Sub to the collection. It’s just too much money to have tied up in watches, for me anyway.

Has anyone else considered this move and gone through with it?

Would love to hear your thoughts on why or why not this would be a good move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
401 Posts
I'll trade you all 3 for my sub... Lol

Keep the explorer, it's a very good watch to dress up or down with. It's toolish enough for casual and formal enough for dress up.

The Tudor BB I'd get rid off if anything else cos the Pelagos and the Explorer can substitute the BB. I'll bet the BB is also the one you get the least wear.

If you can save for one, sell the 2 Tudors and keep the explorer. Save the difference and get the Sub.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I would keep it that way. A sub is a watch that you want to own, but trust me, after buying and selling it for 4 times!!! I never kept it. Only watch I kept in my collections that never left were datejusts and daydates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
461 Posts
If you want the Sub, and you need to sell all three to do it... go ahead. You can always trade out from the Sub at a later time and likely not lose any/much money. The same could be said about the Explorer. As for the Tudors time will tell, but I wouldn’t bet on them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
If the sub is the one you want, then the sub is the one to get.

I did the same. I sold several watches to help fund buying the sub at retail at my AD. Sometimes I think about buying the watches that I sold again but I wanted to downsize and consolidate. And when I think about it further I know that those watches “went into” my sub.

So get it if that’s what you want and don’t look back. Onwards and upwards.

·
Registered
12,397 Posts
Firstly, have you even tried on the 116610LN? It might wear badly on you. Not easy in the current climate, but see if try it on.

Going down from 3 to 1 is something I'm currently toiling with too. I like the idea of it, but whether it happens is another thing entirely :-d

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
14,646 Posts
Somehow the Sub never did anything for me and I think to some people, myself included, the Sub is more hype than substance.

The only Submariner I ever had in my collection was a 5513. But the simple fact that it's an old vintage watch prevented me from actually enjoy really wearing it (read banging it about).

That said, since this thread is about you, my opinion would be to get rid of the two Tudors and save up for the Sub. I think the Explorer and the Sub would make an awesome pair if you like the Sub.

Me? I went with this pair and never looked back.

·
Premium Member
7,998 Posts
Let your current wrist time of your pieces decide mate,
If it were me though I too would retain your explorer and top up the balance for your sub purchase.
Good luck with your decision.
Dave

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
If you have no financial or emotional ties to the existing 3, and clearly have desired the sub for many years (and I assume have tried it on many times), then go ahead with the swap, I think you will be happy.

I totally get the one watch philosophy and it can work when you simply love the watch you have, despite wanting / lusting after a new watch every other week or so I simply cannot justify another expensive watch as it would mean less wrist time to my exp 1, and I am more than happy :)

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
(I have no idea how old you are and if you actually scuba dive or at least spend lots of time in the water.)
NEVER sell Explorer....
If Rolex made only one watch, or I could only own one watch....the Explorer-(I) is it.
Dump the two Tudors and save for the Submariner, or perhaps the Explorer-II.
Ultimately an Explorer-I brushed Oyster bracelet, along with a Date-Just with Jubilee bracelet is a perfect 2 watch combo.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Damn here I'm trying to get from 5 to 3 and your going from 3 to 1! Honestly, I'd keep the Pelagos as a beater (for the pool as you say). You probably can't get that much for it on resale and it's a great watch. I think it's different enough from the sub to justify it, even though they are both dive watches. The Pelly is updated and modern, while the sub is classic. I know you say you can't justify it, but I'd keep the Pelly and Explorer both. Dump the BB and get the Sub.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I'd keep the Explorer and sell the Tudors to part fund the Submariner. The Tudors are cool but are in no way the same league as Rolex.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

Reactions: oztech and 5959HH

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
What’s up Watch Fam!

Before I start, I know this question and the responses are all relative to each person so just looking to get some opinions.

I’m looking to trade in my 3 watch collection for a 116610LN.

I currently have:

Tudor Black Bay Black ref 79220N
Tudor Pelagos Black ref 25500
Rolex Explorer ref 214270

Due to current pricing, it looks like I can evenly trade all these in for the Sub.

I love the three I have, all with their own uniqueness. Having three watches gives me time to appreciate them all at different times. The Explorer gets the most wrist time while at work. The other two I wear for the pool and outdoor activities. It’s nice to be able to have the selection of three very different watches. I have built this little collection over the last 4 years. Always wanted a Sub but could never plop down the money all at once. Instead I have spent more then the cost of a sub in total, on the three watches, just spread out over time. I’m not worried about that as I have enjoyed them all and was never in it to make money. I understand I will be taking a loss but again, I purchased these all at different times and have enjoyed them.

I can see myself only having one watch. I have always loved the Sub so I don’t think I would grow bored with just one watch everyday.

I cannot justify keeping them all, and adding the Sub to the collection. It’s just too much money to have tied up in watches, for me anyway.

Has anyone else considered this move and gone through with it?

Would love to hear your thoughts on why or why not this would be a good move.

Huh. Seems a bit uneven. Is the 214270 a Mk1 or Mk2 with full 3-6-9 lume? Let's assume the latter.

214270 = 6500 to 7000
2550 = 2700
79220N = 2900

So sale value if you sell them yourself is roughly $12k. And those prices above are estiamtes from searches just now on Watchrecon. The sub 116610LN can be had right now from DavidSW for $10k.

Don't do the trade.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Personally for me I would not sell those 3 to fund the sub. If you need some cash to buy the sub, i would keep the Ex and let the 2 Tudors go.

There are other dive watches and watches in general that I would consider over the sub, but that's me.

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Personally for me I would not sell those 3 to fund the sub. If you need some cash to buy the sub, i would keep the Ex and let the 2 Tudors go.

There are other dive watches and watches in general that I would consider over the sub, but that's me.
Keep Explorer, let 2 Tudors go, buy new Omega SMP (can get for $3900 BNIB with warranty), and pocked the rest of the cash.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
the "one watch collection" is often a device we use to convince our selves we can consolidate all out value into one piece and step up to another level in the mental/price structure. Ive personally done it when I consolidated three cheaper pieces into my first $2000 watch and again when I traded a couple of divers for my GS spring drive diver.
Both times I appreciated the quality of the tier step up and I do believe "less is more" but I also really value having two daily wear pieces that I love for different reasons.

I wear my GS diver and Explorer as my dailies ( diver on rubber/ leather.... explorer on bracelet) and they are different enough that I always enjoy swapping them out when the mood or need arises.
After owning multiple pieces I doubt I could be happy owning just one watch as Id get too used to it and start feeling the "grass is greener" with other options.

Now is a lousy time to try to sell so Id suggest picking the watch that you love wearing the most and boxing the other two for a month to see how you really feel about having one watch to wear all the time.
the three watches you own all bring something different to the wrist so I suspect they are all special to you.

Personally Id keep the explorer what ever you do.
its a fantastically built and sized watch that has great versatility/range and wild make a great counter point to any diver ( or dressier watch )you choose to own in the future.

As a two year explorer owner Im also of the opinion that if I had to keep just one of my watches it would be the explorer.... not my GS diver or a SUB.
Im thinking I will eventually consolidate down to one dress watch and the two daily wear watches that I own for the reasons you discussed.

Reactions: ahonobaka
1 - 20 of 50 Posts