WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I eagerly await the unveiling of the Conquistador. I think it Doxa doesn't remake this watch as part of their stable, in a deeper water resistance (at least 1000m) it would be a mistake.
Anyone from Doxa care to comment? I have brought this topic up before about a year or more ago.

B-)

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hmm, I think someone needs an anger mangement lesson.
Or was it that the meds wore off?:-D

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Oh they know how to do it. It is just that no-one is interested....... :)

Well you all know my feelings. It would have been the perfect 40th Anniversary watch, but according to the post a few weeks ago, it doesn't look like there will even be a 40th Anniversary watch. Heck it was claimed that next year wasn't the 40th Anniversary........ Yea Right!!!!

For me, if Doxa don't put out a 40th Anniversary watch it will be the greatest loss of a marketing oportunity this side of OJ Simpson advertising meat cleavers.....

HRV Conquistador? If you build it, people will come!!!!

Pete

·
Registered
905 Posts

Well you all know my feelings. It would have been the perfect 40th Anniversary watch, but according to the post a few weeks ago, it doesn't look like there will even be a 40th Anniversary watch. Heck it was claimed that next year wasn't the 40th Anniversary........ Yea Right!!!!

For me, if Doxa don't put out a 40th Anniversary watch it will be the greatest loss of a marketing oportunity this side of OJ Simpson advertising meat cleavers.....

Pete
Well put Pete ... agree 110%

John

·
Registered
27 Posts

Pete
I could just see it now, a re-issue SUB 300T HRV Conquistador in glorious Doxa orange. Talk about the watch i'd sell a kidney for! I guess it will remain a fantasy for the immediate future.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts

Pete
Or maybe they're waiting for the 50th anniversary...
Or maybe they just want to keep us in suspense...
Or, who knows?

Steve

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Who knows? However a 300 meter version would be a waste. With sat diving, 1000 ft is not enough water resistance.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yep a seriously tough SUB300T (sorry thay was a missprint.... a SUB 3000T proffesional) Conquistator, I'd be in it.
HRV & Metric Bezel too, please:-!

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
You wanted a GMT, then you wanted it orange not yellow. Then you wanted a Caribbean version, but in the thread announcing it some folk decided they wanted a Sharkie GMT. Then there are all the threads about Titanium and PVD versions, and so on. Now you want the Conquistador. Are you Doxa guys ever satisfied?:-X ;-)

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I have to agree with Sinclair's post. I understand and appreciate the uniqueness of Doxa's accomodation of customer feedback in designing watches. I think it is one of many factors that makes Doxa so very special. However, the constant demands for this or that seem to have the forum a bit out of balance. I understand these posts are born of passion for the line, but it seems like whinning sometimes. Oh, boy, I am going to get bashed for that one. My hope is we get back to the more interesting and informative posts typified by those of J.M. and Dr. M.

Kev.

You wanted a GMT, then you wanted it orange not yellow. Then you wanted a Caribbean version, but in the thread announcing it some folk decided they wanted a Sharkie GMT. Then there are all the threads about Titanium and PVD versions, and so on. Now you want the Conquistador. Are you Doxa guys ever satisfied?:-X ;-)

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
WHAT???

You're kidding me right? Or are you being sarcastic?
Isthmus,

I'm betting he's dead serious since 1000 feet is well within the range for a SAT dive team. The max is around 2000, I think. Am I right TKite?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Isthmus,

I'm betting he's dead serious since 1000 feet is well within the range for a SAT dive team. The max is around 2000, I think. Am I right TKite?
Hi, yes I am quite serious. The deepest sat dive on record in an open water setting is 2,500 ft set by Comex years back. The deepest sat dive in a lab in the United States was 2,300 and some odd feet, or 701 meters. As far as real world goes, 1000 ft is not unrealistic. On another note, not to start any flame wars, the Rolex Sea Dweller was the chosen timepiece for both of those record setting dives.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Being primarily a Doxa vintage person, but loving my T-Graph, I feel a little out of place posting here, but here's my Dos Centavos.

I have to agree with Kev and Lordsinclair. Doxa has been introducing new watches at a pretty breakneck speed.

Personally, I would love to see a Conquistidor 600T Professional. That would be the one that I would put some of my "keepers" on the market for. A good solid "tool watch".But as I discuss below, maybe there are good reasons that we won't see the Conquistidor just yet.

Since 2005 we have had the T'Graph in Two versions, The 750T in 4 versions (Orange, Black Silver, and Blue dials plus PVD) the GMT in 3 versions (Yellow, Orange and Blue Dials) that is a total of three new models and 9 versions thereof in the span of 18-20 months. I certainly don't know the intracasies of the Doxa business model, but I do expect that it is fairly expensive to develop a new model and more additional expenses to develop sub models of each, even though they are just dial, hand and bezel color changes.

What we possibly should think about is what the introduction of a new model does to the sales of previously introduced models. I would bet that sales of older models cool off rapidly when new models are introduced. So when you add new models too rapidly, Can the company recapture R&D, tooling and advertising costs on a model, before the next model renders it "old Hat". What we all want is Doxa in good financial health. We want longevity and the ability to support the watches that are out there as well as timely introduction of new models and model upgrades. A bankrupt, defunct Doxa would do none of us any good. We all want new models, and I'm sure that Doxa SA appreciates the imput. They, after all, do listen to us as forum members.They just have to temper our "irrational exuberance" to quote Allen Greenspan, with good business sense. So guys, when Rick posts on the forum, "we can't produce every version of every watch that every person can possibly dream up", let's don't pout and get our feelings hurt. More than likely over time just about every watch within reason will be introduced, they just won't all be here by Christmas!!

Arthur

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Being primarily a Doxa vintage person, but loving my T-Graph, I feel a little out of place posting here, but here's my Dos Centavos.

I have to agree with Kev and Lordsinclair. Doxa has been introducing new watches at a pretty breakneck speed.

Personally, I would love to see a Conquistidor 600T Professional. That would be the one that I would put some of my "keepers" on the market for. A good solid "tool watch".But as I discuss below, maybe there are good reasons that we won't see the Conquistidor just yet.

Since 2005 we have had the T'Graph in Two versions, The 750T in 4 versions (Orange, Black Silver, and Blue dials plus PVD) the GMT in 3 versions (Yellow, Orange and Blue Dials) that is a total of three new models and 9 versions thereof in the span of 18-20 months. I certainly don't know the intracasies of the Doxa business model, but I do expect that it is fairly expensive to develop a new model and more additional expenses to develop sub models of each, even though they are just dial, hand and bezel color changes.

What we possibly should think about is what the introduction of a new model does to the sales of previously introduced models. I would bet that sales of older models cool off rapidly when new models are introduced. So when you add new models too rapidly, Can the company recapture R&D, tooling and advertising costs on a model, before the next model renders it "old Hat". What we all want is Doxa in good financial health. We want longevity and the ability to support the watches that are out there as well as timely introduction of new models and model upgrades. A bankrupt, defunct Doxa would do none of us any good. We all want new models, and I'm sure that Doxa SA appreciates the imput. They, after all, do listen to us as forum members.They just have to temper our "irrational exuberance" to quote Allen Greenspan, with good business sense. So guys, when Rick posts on the forum, "we can't produce every version of every watch that every person can possibly dream up", let's don't pout and get our feelings hurt. More than likely over time just about every watch within reason will be introduced, they just won't all be here by Christmas!!

Arthur
Arthur, once again you have posted a thoughtful, interesting, educated and intelligent post. Well said Sir! :-!

Paul

·
Registered
361 Posts
Arthur good and thoughtful points.

Doxa has released more models in the past 18 month than they had released since their reincarantion.
We should feel lucky that they listen to our wishes and I believe we will see a lot of models released in the future where the input of the polls here becomes reality.

Personally I would love to see a Reedition of the Aubry Style SUB 600T Case in the future, bigger than the original one which is more like a unisex size case and all that with a 1000m Rating and HRV, will Doxa built it ?
Maybe if enough people ask for it. If not I guess they will built some other watch I really would love to own.

Regards Bernie

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Arthur,

I think Doxa is doing rather well, and is hardly in the red. They are releasing watches fast because they are selling like hot cakes. So I think your post is of course interesting, but the caution is unfounded. The Conquistador for me is a working watch. It would be added to my stable for actual use, not a safe queen. I really dig all the Doxa watches released to date, however I cannot justify to my wife buying them because she knows (believe it or not!) those watches cannot be used in sat. My current sat diving watches are my Rolex and my Zodiac. I sure would like to add a Doxa to that stable.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Arthur,

I think Doxa is doing rather well, and is hardly in the red. They are releasing watches fast because they are selling like hot cakes. So I think your post is of course interesting, but the caution is unfounded. The Conquistador for me is a working watch. It would be added to my stable for actual use, not a safe queen. I really dig all the Doxa watches released to date, however I cannot justify to my wife buying them because she knows (believe it or not!) those watches cannot be used in sat. My current sat diving watches are my Rolex and my Zodiac. I sure would like to add a Doxa to that stable.
Yes, Doxa is doing well. But not a large company, so they have a somewhat limited R&D budget compared to say Omega, and Rolex. And they have to manufacture what the majority will buy. Also in a post a few days ago I think it was Rick or John said that from concept to production a watch takes about 3 years. So just be patient, I am sure you will get what you want eventually.

Cheers,
Andy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts