WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just finished a comparison review of the Doxa SUB 750T GMT and the Rolex GMT Master II.

It's in the review section of a new site I set up called

www.watchwabi.com

The site is embryonic and colourful (to say the least) but I want it to be a place where I can gather reviews of all different kinds of watches so if you have a review you want hosted, let me know. Also I'll link to a myriad of cool watch sites and forums and try to build up a collection of How To articles. Things like how to change a bezel insert or refurbish a case etc etc. Again, if anyone has sites they want linked to or watch databases etc etc, please let me know.

As for the colour scheme, well I'm right into red white and blue at the minute. Hopefully the colours won't make people throw up before getting to the end of the review.

Pete

·
Registered
12 Posts
In all sincerity, I'm surprised Doxa is 1/2 price of the Rolex. That's pretty expensive for that watch. I think it's quite ugly. The shape, the size, the garish accoutrements. Just my .02.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I find that the DOXA GMT models are cramping too many into a watch. It has 2 X 24h markings (gives a total of 3 time zones), bezel is both a normal diver's bezel and also a no-decompression dive bezel. It lacks of a chrono to make it a complete watch. :-d

Sometimes too many chefs spoil the soup. ;-)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't mean any offence to you Peter, but I really don't see how you can compare the two watches.

IMHO, the Doxa is a hideous looking thing that just screams "look at me!!" and if I had to guess at a retail price, I'd be aiming for somewhere around the £19.99 mark. The dial is fussy, the designer seems to have been on a mission to use as many colours as possible, and the bracelet looks like something you'd get in a christmas cracker.

The GMT however (even in toytown pepsi colours rather than the proper coke colours) is an elegant, classy watch.

That said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so if you like your Doxa, good luck to you; I hope you have many pleasurable hours wearing it.

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,636 Posts
I don't mean any offence to you Peter, but I really don't see how you can compare the two watches.

IMHO, the Doxa is a hideous looking thing that just screams "look at me!!" and if I had to guess at a retail price, I'd be aiming for somewhere around the £19.99 mark. The dial is fussy, the designer seems to have been on a mission to use as many colours as possible, and the bracelet looks like something you'd get in a christmas cracker.

The GMT however (even in toytown pepsi colours rather than the proper coke colours) is an elegant, classy watch.

That said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so if you like your Doxa, good luck to you; I hope you have many pleasurable hours wearing it.
For not meaning any offense, your statements are a bit bold, demeaning, and rather harsh. It is quite evident that you have never held a Doxa and more than likely, you don't dive:roll::roll:

[snip].............The GMT however (even in toytown pepsi colours rather than the proper coke colours) is an elegant, classy watch...........[snip]
Who determined that "coke colours" were the "proper" colors:-s:-s:roll::roll:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Fun & insightful review as always Dr Pete.
As far as the rude & basically stupid comments in the above posts, I really think some people need to get out more often....

·
Registered
555 Posts
Great read and both nice watches.

Did you say in the review that Rolex was the first to make a GMT? I did not know that. Makes the Pepsi much more interesting then it already was!

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't worry Phil, you didn't offend me, you may however have offended others who had to read your somewhat puerile remarks.

You obviously either didn't read the review or know nothing of watch values. The movement in the Doxa is an ETA 2893-2. Somehow I doubt you would find any watch with that movement priced around £19.99. The fact that you may think it looks like a £19.99 watch is nothing other than your opinion and just like assholes, everybody either has or is one.

the designer seems to have been on a mission to use as many colours as possible
Interesting comment there. The dial has 2 colours; blue and white and the chapter ring has 2 colours; purpleish blue and orange. The bezel has black and orange numbers. The hands are orange and white.That makes 5 colours. The Rolex has a black and white dial and red and blue bezel. That's 4 colours. Not really that much of a difference.

the bracelet looks like something you'd get in a Christmas cracker
Not really sure what kind of Christmas crackers you are used to opening, but I have never seen anything even vaiguely similar to a Doxa bracelet in one. I have, however, seen similar ricebead bracelets to the Doxa on a number of watches including an Omega Geneve, which according to your signature you have, with possibly a similar bracelet.

(even in toytown pepsi colours rather than the proper coke colours)
Another interesting comment. In all my research on the GMT I have yet to find anywhere that says the Coke bezel was the original design. In fact everything points to a bakalite Pepsi bezel being original. How can you claim the Coke to be the "proper" bezel and the Pepsi to be "toytown"? Please share your wisdom and proof with us all as I'm sure the owners of the "toytown" bezel will interested why it garners such a derogatory comment.

Thanks you for the wishes of good luck, I would like to extend the same to you although I'm not really sure which of us needs it more.

Pete

IMHO, the Doxa is a hideous looking thing that just screams "look at me!!" and if I had to guess at a retail price, I'd be aiming for somewhere around the £19.99 mark. The dial is fussy, the designer seems to have been on a mission to use as many colours as possible, and the bracelet looks like something you'd get in a Christmas cracker.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've just finished a comparison review of the Doxa SUB 750T GMT and the Rolex GMT Master II.

It's in the review section of a new site I set up called

www.watchwabi.com

The site is embryonic and colourful (to say the least) but I want it to be a place where I can gather reviews of all different kinds of watches so if you have a review you want hosted, let me know. Also I'll link to a myriad of cool watch sites and forums and try to build up a collection of How To articles. Things like how to change a bezel insert or refurbish a case etc etc. Again, if anyone has sites they want linked to or watch databases etc etc, please let me know.

As for the colour scheme, well I'm right into red white and blue at the minute. Hopefully the colours won't make people throw up before getting to the end of the review.

Pete

Hello Dr. Pete!!

Been waiting for this comparo for a while.. and its been worth the wait.

EXCELLENT review.

Your knowledge borders on the frightening ... but... you know what?

I am an eager student willing to learn from experts like you.

Thanks so much.

Look forward to your next comparo.

·
Registered
210 Posts
BTW... I LOVE that Dirk Pitt reference on your landing page.

haha.

I read so many clive cussler books growing up and.. ever since then, I have craved a Doxa... though SO MANY other watches have gotten in the way.

I think that the main reason for this... is that I have a hard time buying a watch sight unseen.

For me, a large influencer in my purchase is the experience of handling the watch at the AD...

And Doxa has such an unconventional approach to selling their watches (I have only ever seen them for sale on line).

I bet that if a jeweler around here carried Doxa, I would have at least one of my 50 watches in my collection from that brand.

The new "seaconquerer" seems liek it would be a beaut in real life.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Doc

Great review of two real nice watches. Thank you.

Scott

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Pete:

I liked your review, nice comparison of the different execution of features of both GMTs.

One aspect of the Doxa I found interesting:

To quote from your review:

"The SUB 750T GMT also uses a movable 24-hour chapter ring, which allows you to track a third time zone. Unusually the inner 24 hour bezel is split equally, blue / orange, at 5:30 and 17:30. There has never been any explanation as to why this setting was used."

Only conjecture on my part, of course, but could it be that the 5:30 and 17:30 split was to capture transition period between night and morning, night and day, i.e., the twilight? In any case, interesting division. It's made me want the Doxa even more now...

cheers,
wemedge

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Pete:

Only conjecture on my part, of course, but could it be that the 5:30 and 17:30 split was to capture transition period between night and morning, night and day, i.e., the twilight? In any case, interesting division. It's made me want the Doxa even more now...

cheers,
wemedge
I did think that myself when I got the watch and posted about it but there never was any reply. It certainly sets it apart from the bezel on the GMT Rolex and Omega which both split at 6 and 18. In the end it doesn't matter where it splits and one of the Rolex GMT inserts is all black with no delineation at all.

I did find this interesting info when trying to find out about the origins of the bezel............

The GMT can be used in the Northern hemisphere as a compass. Simply lay the watch flat and point the hour hand directly at the sun. When this is done, the GMT hand points North. Many compass use different colors to separate the hemispheres. For example..

As you can see, red is used to represent the Northern hemisphere and white represents the Southern.

So lets say that the hour hand is pointing towards the sun and the time is 10:00 AM. The GMT hand will be pointing North at 5:00. If you rotate the bezel so that the 12:00 marker is aligned with the GMT hand, the hemispheres are separated by the colors on the bezel giving the line for E and W.

....... I'm not exactly sure how this works and for which time zone settings it applies to but it sounds neat

UPDATE... Just found this

The 1960’s brochure for the watch even included the following instructions for pilots on how to use the watch as an emergency compass. "In the Northern Hemisphere the Rolex GMT-Master may also be used as a compass. Simply point the hour hand towards the sun and automatically the red 24-hour hand will point to the North." In the Southern Hemisphere it will point to the South.

I also found that the original GMT's red hand was not able to be independently adjustable. You moved the bezel to set the time zone.

Pete

·
Registered
12 Posts
To be fair, the review has some negative statements too:

You can pick up the bracelet for around 40 to 50 Dollars and it is superbly made and is more in keeping with a 6,000 Dollar watch than the bracelet on the Rolex Submariner. Most Rolex owners, me included, make excuses like "well it is designed for a purpose and it is unlikely to fail in that use", but honestly, how many people look at the bracelet and are inclined to think; "this is cheap and nasty?" Just tap the flip lock clasp when the watch is on your wrist. Yuck...horrible, cheap tinny sound. If the steel was any thinner, I could probably shave with it.

As the owner of a Jubilee bracelet for 15 years I can testify that the bracelet has never, not once, come undone, bent or twisted and I have used and abused it every day. My Sub which has a similar bracelet as the GMT is in my opinion an extremely fine bracelet, much more handsome than the Doxa's "glued, tinny-looking" bracelet look from what I can see in the pictures. This is not an "excuse", it is a simple fact. Actually in your picture the triangular corner of the Doxa's bracelet, in the image of both watches upside-down, does not even nest properly. The overhanging corner concerns me that it might get caught on something and come undone.

I think the red background of the review's index page, and the original orange background of the review page if I remember correctly, before it was changed to white, does suggest some bias towards color, and therefore toward the (orange) Doxa, no?

Hey we're entitled to our opinions. We all don't have to agree here do we?

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
This is not an "excuse", it is a simple fact.Hey we're entitled to our opinions. We all don't have to agree here do we?

There are few simple facts, most are biases. What you propose as simple fact is your observation, nothing more, and worth about as much. The Doxa bracelet is the most comfortable bracelet I've worn, my bias, and worth about as much.

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,636 Posts
I own 2 Rolexes, and soon to be 3. I would venture a guess that most owners would admit that the Rolex oyster bracelet on anything other than the GMT IIc and the DSSD is inferior and should have been updated MANY years ago. The clasp is made of metal that is too thin, the diver's extension is flimsy, and some of the links are not solid. I mean, they are still selling "tool" watches with non-SELs. :roll:

I still love my Rolexes, but to say it is a "tool watch made to take a beating" may be stretching it IMHO. The watch head may be sturdy, but the bracelet leaves quite a bit to be desired.

just my 2c

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As the owner of a Jubilee bracelet for 15 years I can testify that the bracelet has never, not once, come undone, bent or twisted and I have used and abused it every day. My Sub which has a similar bracelet as the GMT is in my opinion an extremely fine bracelet, much more handsome than the Doxa's "glued, tinny-looking" bracelet look from what I can see in the pictures. This is not an "excuse", it is a simple fact. Actually in your picture the triangular corner of the Doxa's bracelet, in the image of both watches upside-down, does not even nest properly. The overhanging corner concerns me that it might get caught on something and come undone.
Fair comment and to be honest I'm more inclined to take your view as someone who has lived with the watch for 15 years than someone who offers an opinion based on heresay or what he believes. Many times these people have never owned or even held the watch in question (happens with Doxa quite a lot because they are so thin on the ground). I think you would be surprised how substantial the Doxa bracelet is but obviously it is not for everyone.

The clasp on the Doxa was not fully locked down. My fault.

I think the red background of the review's index page, and the original orange background of the review page if I remember correctly, before it was changed to white, does suggest some bias towards color, and therefore toward the (orange) Doxa, no?
Actually the colour combination came about because I'm taken by the red white and blue of the Rolex bezel. I also happen to be a big Superman comic fan. I have boxes and Boxes of them daing back to the late 60s...... I just like R W and B. I wanted the new site to be stand out so I chose those colours. I could have gone the same bland, boring way as everyone else, but decided not to. Unfortunately the bland, boring way is far more people friendly so I changed to black on white after numerous "complaints" and will redesign the whole site. I need to do the other sections.

My problem is that I have been such a fan boy and associated with Doxa for so long that people automatically assume I'm veering towards Doxa (a realistic assumption), but that is not really the case anymore. In the past I had an obvious bias and I when would wear my Doxa if people asked about it I was always ready to talk about Cussler, Pitt, the rich history and of course my book. But lately I feel like a pretentious bore so I've tried to adopt a more neutral approach. Of course the Rolex GMT came along and far outshone my expectations. Sadly I'm probably a rabit Rolex fanboy now :)

Pete

·
Registered
132 Posts
you might want to have a watchmaker explain to you the differences between the ETA and the Rolex movement... this is where the Rolex is so far superior. you're barely scratching the surface with this "review"

I always LOL when I read comments about the oyster fliplock and bracelet like above. It's a time tested and proven design, it's the perfect weight and very comfortable and there are enough users out there to testify as to it's merits.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts