WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Do you think it would be a good idea for Doxa to supply a spare bezel with their watches?
I ask as it is the bezel that always seems to bear the brunt of any knocks and scrapes. I would find it reasuring to have a spare so that I do not need to worry about getting damaged. (Basically use the watch for its purpose - a tool, and safe in the knowledge that when its battered to hell it can be refinished back to pristine condition.)
What do you all think?

Reply by DOXA S.A.
Hi odp, thank you for your post, You can buy a bezel for your watch any time. but the bezel of the DOXA SUB cannot be replaced without a special machine that was custom built for DOXA, so will need to send the watch to DOXA or to an authorized service center to replace it. As for supplying it with the watch, it would be like a car manufacturer delivering their cars with an extra bodyshell, I am sure you did not mean this.

There are several types of bezels and bezel mechanisms, some , that never feel solid from the start and have a play that will continue to increase until they feel very wobbly. Some use plastic inserts, which never give this rich click sound. The DOXA SUB was always known for its very solid all steel bezel, with a very accurate click and almost no play at all, this basically the reason the DOXA bezel cannot be removed without a special tool.

Rick

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I like that idea. How easy would it be to find a watchmaker to replace it?

Do you think it would be a good idea for Doxa to supply a spare bezel with their watches?
I ask as it is the bezel that always seems to bear the brunt of any knocks and scrapes. I would find it reasuring to have a spare so that I do not need to worry about getting damaged. (Basically use the watch for its purpose - a tool, and safe in the knowledge that when its battered to hell it can be refinished back to pristine condition.)
What do you all think?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Nah, a complimentary rubber strap is one thing, but "free" spare parts is asking a bit too much, IMHO.

A spare bezel is a fantastic idea; but methinks that one should buy it from DOXA. Look at it this way; if they should offer a free bezel with purchase, why not a free crown too? Or a free crystal? Or bracelet? You understand my point ... where should the line be?

No other watch company that I'm aware of offers "spare parts" when you acquire their product. Having these items in a safe for future use is a good idea (allot of the folks on the G-Shock forum seem to do this), but I truly believe that it is up to the consumer to make this decision, not the manufacturer.

Just my random thoughts, YMMV :-!

Cheers!
Bill

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quite agree, my original post was unclear. I'd be very happy to purchase a spare seperately, I would not expect one for free. I wonder how much one would cost?

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Guys,

I'm not sure a spare bezel would do you anay good. I remember something about how the new Doxas use bezels that have been put on in such a way that it is virtually impossible for Mr Man in the Street (and that includes watchmakers) to remove them. I was under the impression that the watch needed to be sent back for a new bezel. Maybe Rick or someone could confirm this.

Pete

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
odp: Kewl, my bad I guess, I misunderstood your intent. Kinda would be neat to get a "spare" watch though, uh? :-d

Dr. Pete: OK, I had no idea about the bezel being of a certain design .... what's that all about? :-s

Cheers!
Bill

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
...except Stowa :-!
Really? Wow, are the parts "free", or do you have to pay "shipping & handling"? I know nothing of Stowa, except that many folks swear by them.

Very kewl, please enlighten us how this works, and thanks for the contribution. :-!

Cheers!
Bill

·
Registered
11,823 Posts
Pretty sure you still need to purchase the spare bezel with Stowa ;-). It's just that spare bezels (in varying colors and/or finishes) are available for their Seatime and Prodiver watches. And they can easily be changed by the end user (always wondered if they were prone to coming off by accident, though I've not heard of that happening).

Nice watches, I may get around to buying one some day.... If Doxa will slow down on the new models long enough for me to look elsewhere! :-d

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
OK then, I've learned something new today! :-! And I'm with you about DOXA; my wife is gonna kill me ....... :-d

·
Registered
71 Posts
I didn't know we can purchase a bezel. Now I really don't care if I scratch it up. I wear my Sharkhunter everyday and was a little bummed by the various scratches but it's great to know I can replace it any time. It's like getting a new watch. Appearance wise anyway.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I've thought about this too. I've been wearing my Sub 300T Professional re-issue non-stop since I got it in June of 2002. The crystal is unscratched. The back, sides and bracelet look virtually new (tiny, tiny minor scratches).

But the rotating bezel looks very worn and scratched. I've repainted the orange and black numbers several times (never let vehicle wheel cleaner near your watch's paint!) and I tried a Cape Cod polishing cloth before re-painting the numbers. The bezel still looks scratched. If I had an extra bezel, I would simply store it away until maybe 30+ years from now when I could have it put on to make the watch look brand new.

Now, I'm the type of person who thinks wayyyyyyy ahead. I believe I could have the hand and markers re-lumed 30+ years in the future, the same way Doxa watches from 30 years ago can be restored.

But there's no guarantee that Doxa will still have spare bezels 30+ years fom now.

I once bought spare painted alloy wheels for my new car (1995 Thunderbird which had unidirectional wheels for the left and right sides). I bought one each of both sides because I got them really cheap ($50 each instead of the new retail price of $350 each).

After driving the car for 9+ years and 172,000 miles, I finally dinged one wheel on a curb and really marred it. No problem, my $100 insurance policy of spare wheels came in handy. 9 years later, I couldn't even have bought the wheels new from Ford.

This is why I would consider having a spare bezel for my Doxa.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I figure that unless your bezel gets seriously bent and ceases to turn you're just gathering wabi. I think it's OK for a 30 year old tool watch to look it's age. Unless it's seriously gouged you can work miracles with the old Dremel. On top of that I think Doxa's here to stay. Anyhow, by the time my Doxas turn 30 I'll be 88 and it wont matter except to my estate:-d:-d:-d.

Joe

·
Banned
313 Posts
I've thought about this too. I've been wearing my Sub 300T Professional re-issue non-stop since I got it in June of 2002. The crystal is unscratched. The back, sides and bracelet look virtually new (tiny, tiny minor scratches).

But the rotating bezel looks very worn and scratched. I've repainted the orange and black numbers several times (never let vehicle wheel cleaner near your watch's paint!) and I tried a Cape Cod polishing cloth before re-painting the numbers. The bezel still looks scratched. If I had an extra bezel, I would simply store it away until maybe 30+ years from now when I could have it put on to make the watch look brand new.

Now, I'm the type of person who thinks wayyyyyyy ahead. I believe I could have the hand and markers re-lumed 30+ years in the future, the same way Doxa watches from 30 years ago can be restored.

But there's no guarantee that Doxa will still have spare bezels 30+ years fom now.

I once bought spare painted alloy wheels for my new car (1995 Thunderbird which had unidirectional wheels for the left and right sides). I bought one each of both sides because I got them really cheap ($50 each instead of the new retail price of $350 each).

After driving the car for 9+ years and 172,000 miles, I finally dinged one wheel on a curb and really marred it. No problem, my $100 insurance policy of spare wheels came in handy. 9 years later, I couldn't even have bought the wheels new from Ford.

This is why I would consider having a spare bezel for my Doxa.
I wrote DOXA some months ago about this very thing. At that time - I was told I could NOT purchase a spare bezel (to keep and save at home), but would need to send the watch in and have it replaced. I too try to think decades ahead, since many of us are having problems finding the correct bezels for our vintage watches that fit... I'd like to have one, that fits, in stock. I guess I'll try again.

·
Banned
313 Posts
Got it! A spare bezel for my 600T, and a new band. In say, 20 years or so, I'll be able to get these changed and have a new watch again.

Once again, Doxa comes through with exceptional customer service - catering to the often eccentric whims of their loyal patrons. :-d

(...now if only they'd resume production of vintage bezels... some folks are never satisfied)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts