WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First thread here. Looking for some info on this good looking Doxa triple chronograph found at my local watch shop. Round pump pushers and different serial # layout have me thinking it's a franken, but though I'd check with WUS community first. Watchmaker was kind enough to let me take pics.

Read up on as many previous posts as I could re: serial # (thanks @mkws!). Casebook looks nothing like all the other Doxas caseback pics I've come across. It's a beautiful watch in person, but want to verify it's a franken for sure and probably walk away. Thanks for any help in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and compared to an Eterna my watchmaker had right next to it, this case is on the larger side. Most likely 37mm+.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
It's most likely a movement and dial transplanted from a gold case. The markings definitely should not be on the outside, except the serial. Here, the serial doesn't make sense, and since it isn't a gold case, then I don't think this case has ever rolled out of the Doxa factory. Most likely the original case has been scrapped for gold, and a chrome-plated replacement was used, one to fit a Valjoux 72 and that dial. The dial is authentic, but since the case isn't, I suppose that doesn't matter.
Sorry. It's a franken.

Reactions: Dan S

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, mkws. Your Doxa knowledge has been very much appreciated. Unhappy to see this was a franken, but happy I didn't pick it up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts