WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been spending a lot of time recently researching DOXA, especially the 1200T, only to come to the conclusion that I like all of them. The problem is that the budget has just enough room for one so I'm hoping that you all can give some feedback to help the decision making process.

I think what will seal the deal will be the one that will go best with suits for daily wear around the office and also a tux later this year. I'm leaning towards the trademark orange followed by silver, but since black seems rather universal it's also a consideration. A concern of mine though is that people who don't know the brand and it's background won't understand an orange watch.

Does anybody have pictures of their DOXA with formal wear, or even thoughts in general about this? Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do we buy a watch for us or for what the others think of it ?

I had in hand all the Doxa colors, besides the subjective side of the taste, it takes a bit longer to quickly read the time on a silver one

Mine is orange :)

·
Registered
333 Posts
In my opinion honestly, doing the traditional is boring...I have 2 orange, 1 blue, 1 silver, and 2 black, and I love them all. But IMO I've had more people compliment my orange and blue faced DOXA's more than the silver and black. Why? I believe because the world is chock full of silver and black face watches, and they just kinda blend in from a distance of course.

Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE my searambler and sharkhunter watches, they are very beautiful looking watches, but having a blue/orange/yellow dial is a bit unconventional and in a formal setting can really set things off in a good way. People I believe like something that's not normal and catches their eyes and could be a good chance at breaking the ice.

Now for me, I would love to wear my orange DOXA to work, but the military is strict about wearing 'blingy' watches, so I just stick to my sharkhunter. In a general formal setting, I've worn a suit with all of them to get an idea of what looks good, and really...I think it's the person and the personality behind the watch that really just makes it work!

We don't live in a black and white world, we live in a vibrant colorful world, and the things that catch your eyes the most are bright colors. And DOXA does such a wonderful job of combining a classy looking dial with colors that just scream 'Hey look at me' and still have that unique DOXA look that you can spot one from miles away.

That's just my two cents. :)

Hopefully I didn't ramble too much.

~Tony

·
Registered
102 Posts
Get the orange dial it stands out very nice when wearing a dark suit. Then you get to hear someone saying, that's a great looking watch.
Ed

·
Premium Member
11,597 Posts
If you are looking for a watch that will go best with suits for daily wear around the office and also a tux, I think that a black face (Sharkhunter) would be your best selection. Should you wear an orange face (Professional) watch with a tux, you might as well wear orange running shoes as well rather than traditional plain toe black shoes.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I wear my 1200T Searambler with suits quite frequently.

Here's a link to subkrawler's pic of his Searambler with a tux:
http://forums.watchuseek.com/showpost.php?p=1704216&postcount=14

My funniest Doxa-with-a-suit experience was when I wore my 750T Professional to a deposition at a local prison. I figured that since I was wearing an orange-ish tie with my black suit, an orange watch would be fun for a change. The inmate/deponent recognized it as being a Doxa and said that he used to own a Sharkie. We sat and chatted about Doxa and other watch brands as the court reporter set up her gear.

Rob

·
Registered
364 Posts
I wore a 750 Pro for years to an office with a business/professional environment. Suits and ties. Never had an issue with it being seen as out of character or inappropriate. I even wore it with a tux to a wedding. I think that took some nerve on my part...

On the other hand, I have also had the pleasure to wear a Searambler with a suit and tie, and I think someone posted a pic of the rambler with a tux as well...

Either way, it's a great watch and a great, unique look. Nice to stand out every now and again. :)

Avi

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
I wore my orange face SeaHunter for my investiture ceremony when I received my knighthood! That's as formal as it gets.

It makes a statement that you're an individual and not a slave to fashion!

Cheers. Gary

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just bought a 1200T Pro and I wear a tux about 5 times a year. Sometimes I attend formal events more than this on any given year. I plan on wearing my Professional with no reservations....yes....even with the "Orange" :-!. Again, the whole point of having something unusual is not being afraid that it is, in fact, unusual. It is all a matter of your confidence and self assurance. If the watch suits you, wear it with a suit!

What would Dirk Pitt do?:think:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think Dirk Pitt would sport his professional at his wedding, just like I did last month.

Doxa SUB 5000T Professional 0281/5000
Chase-Durer Starburst Automatic

Attachments

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have 2 GMT's, one shark and one pro, and routinely wear them (not simultaneously) with a suit in the office and in court. I have also worn both with a tux, and never felt that they looked out of place. I say wear whatever you want! For me it depends on my mood; orange is a little more fun, black is more understated.

I don't have a picture of the Pro with a suit, but here's the sharky:

·
Registered
636 Posts
I've worn my Pro's on formal occasions but I don't care about fashion statements. I work in a Prison and wear my 1000T Pro all of the time. I get comments from both staff and inmates. I wear what I like and don't care what others think.

Wayne

·
Registered
35,656 Posts
I've had the Pro 1000T, and now the 750T Sharkhunter and the 1200t Searambler. I work in the Investment Banking Industry and have worn all three to work with formal wear. I personally can't care less what others think but to answer your question a smaller 1000-1200T Searambler wears best with formal wear IMO. It'll blend better. But these are vintage divers in the first place not a dress watch so who cares what color as lon as YOU are happy and like it:-!

·
Registered
35,656 Posts
I think Dirk Pitt would sport his professional at his wedding, just like I did last month.

Doxa SUB 5000T Professional 0281/5000
Chase-Durer Starburst Automatic

Right On!!!!':-! And big congrats buddy|>

·
Registered
320 Posts
I had the same dilemma when I was researching my Doxa White Sharkie. I absolutely love, LOVE the Caribbean and the Pro, but because this was the first major watch purchase I was embarking on, I wanted to be realistic with it. I even had to sell 2 watches to help pay for it.

I decided that I wanted a watch that not only looked and functioned great, but I could also wear on every single occasion whether it be going to the bars with my friends in jeans and t-shirts or to a wedding in a tux or suit. The 1000T Sharkhunter was the way to go for me and I could not be happier. It is the best decision I have made, I absolutely love it.

But I still love the Caribbean and Pro and one day Ill hopefully be able to get both.

The Sharkhunter just called out to me the most. Go with your gut, you cant ever go wrong with Doxa.

·
Registered
864 Posts
This would be the traditional answer:

"Timepiece: If worn, a wristwatch should be slender, plain, and elegant; alternatively, a pocket watch may be worn on the waistcoat. Traditionally, however, visible timepieces are not worn with formal evening dress, because timekeeping is not considered a priority.
Mmmmm… A bit contradictory. If worn, classic is the key, but then it states traditionally timepieces are not worn. What to do if you don’t own a pocket watch… So, is a wrist watch acceptable or not?"
Hubpages says it is: “Your watch needs to be as slim and sleek as your tuxedo. Black tie is classic formal wear, keep your timepiece in the same league with a leather strap and basic black face. Keep those chunky chronographs with the compasses at home or on the fishing boat, you need to be dressy, not flashy here.”

I have always heard that one shouldn't wear a watch with formal wear, but wanted to look it up. That being said, whatever floats your boat. Although I own an 5000T Pro, I wouldn't consider wearing it with formal wear, as I think it is just too flashy. Even with a suit I would tend towards a Sharkhunter were I to wear a Doxa --but I'm a bit more traditional in my dress.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
abuemily said:
Timepiece: If worn, a wristwatch should be slender, plain, and elegant; alternatively, a pocket watch may be worn on the waistcoat. Traditionally, however, visible timepieces are not worn with formal evening dress, because timekeeping is not considered a priority.
Thank you so much for posting this - triggered an instant memory of my sweet Mom (who passed away way too young 7 years ago).

She has raised us well, be it a bit conservatively and used to say exactly that. And thus I do not wear my wrist-watches when in tux or 3-pc suit - that's when I wear my pocket watch, a gift from my parents. But I have absolutely no hesitation wearing my DWL with any of my (other) suits.

Off Topic #1
My pocket watch - it was the gift that kept on giving. My parents are no watch people, but gave me a very nice one when I got my Bachelors. It is not a special watch, but it is a special watch to me ......... It came with a gold-colored chain - not even sure it was gold plated and they made the promise that I would get a real gold chain if / when I'd get my Masters. Which is exactly what happened - Mom wasn't overly happy when she saw how little chain fitted their budget. When I next decided to pursue a Ph.D. she told me that she'd start saving / putting $$ aside and they gave me a very, very nice chain hours before I defended my thesis, so the watch would be in my tux on that chain. They also had the 3 dates of these events engraved in the case-back of my watch, so it's also the record of my academic career.

Off Topic #2
I have wrestled with the opposite dilemma - to wear my gold pocket watch with blue jeans and t-shirt ;-) I've done so on several occasions and it always provokes reactions :-d

RonB

1 - 18 of 18 Posts