WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone.

I've been trying to spend more time on here. I've been researching the Deepsea Sea Dweller.
Let me go into this more.

Rolex Deepsea Sea Dweller 116660
I like large watches and I'm looking to buy a Deepsea Sea Dweller. I like how large the watch is. I have to say though, I'm concerned about beating it up to much. I work with computers and sometimes have to move equipment (monitors, tables). If I buy one of these 2 rolexes I want to wear it everyday but I don't think the DSSD is the right piece. The size is a huge plus for me though. It's like a Sea Dweller supersized. That's what I want. I'm worried about hitting it and scratching it up as bad as I know I'm going to. My wrists are 7inch but they are flat. SO I feel like lots of people say "oh your wrists are fine with a 40mm" but I'm not so sure.

Rolex 40mm GMT Master II Model 16710 Jubilee
I've got to say. I don't know when I first saw one but I fell in love with the GMT a while ago. Pepsi or coke it doesn't matter. I'd also like to own it on a Jubilee bracelet. There's something about the vintage look/classiness of the Jubilee.

DSSD - $8,000
GMT - $5-5500

There might be some argument on the pricing but I've seen really nice top notch models of the DSSD on the Rolex Forum and the GMT I'm basing off ebay (bobs just sold the one I wanted).

So for me it really comes down to size. I want the larger, louder, hardcore watch but I think the size of the GMT will allow me to wear it every single day (no matter what I have to do at work). If I end up with the GMT there's no reason I can't get a DSSD down the line. If I end up with a less hands on job then maybe that would be the time to wear a DSSD.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I assume you want the older non ceramic GMT. If that's the case, the DSSD with the ceramic bezel will hold up to daily use better despite its size. If price is not an issue go for your dream watch! DSSD.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume you want the older non ceramic GMT. If that's the case, the DSSD with the ceramic bezel will hold up to daily use better despite its size. If price is not an issue go for your dream watch! DSSD.
Like I said I'm leaning toward the DSSD but price is a huge factor.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I also have a 7'' wrist, do the DSSD!
98de5c1b-9537-44b7-841c-90907be29d6d.jpg

·
Registered
623 Posts
That's a picture of the WG current pepsi GMT2 with ceramic bezel, as @joseph80 references. Pricing, ~$8k might be the lowest end for a DSSD (depending on condition / age) and I feel like most Pepsi or Coke GMTs are going for a bit higher than your suggested $5-5.5k range -- so the price difference might not be as big as you think. I'd suggest checking DavidSW (sponsor up top or just google him), he usually has a couple of both models in stock and you can see differences. And you can also buy with confidence.

Regardless, it sounds like your mind is already made up on the larger size of the DSSD. Plenty of people will say it's too large for a daily wear, and that still could be the case with you, despite your wrist being flatter (DSSD is heavy and large), so make sure you've tried it on. If you can, maybe take a friends for a test run for a day or two. You're likely to have some trouble fitting it under long-sleeve shirt cuffs, but that may not be an issue for you. I went with an SD4k, which fits nicely on my 8" wrist (and still have trouble fitting under cuffs at times). But if you like big, go for it!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
That's a picture of the WG current pepsi GMT2 with ceramic bezel, as @joseph80 references. Pricing, ~$8k might be the lowest end for a DSSD (depending on condition / age) and I feel like most Pepsi or Coke GMTs are going for a bit higher than your suggested $5-5.5k range -- so the price difference might not be as big as you think. I'd suggest checking DavidSW (sponsor up top or just google him), he usually has a couple of both models in stock and you can see differences. And you can also buy with confidence.

Regardless, it sounds like your mind is already made up on the larger size of the DSSD. Plenty of people will say it's too large for a daily wear, and that still could be the case with you, despite your wrist being flatter (DSSD is heavy and large), so make sure you've tried it on. If you can, maybe take a friends for a test run for a day or two. You're likely to have some trouble fitting it under long-sleeve shirt cuffs, but that may not be an issue for you. I went with an SD4k, which fits nicely on my 8" wrist (and still have trouble fitting under cuffs at times). But if you like big, go for it!
DavidSW has a GMT I'd like to pick up at $6,100 credit card price.

And I do like the larger watches but the scratches! GOD the scratches!

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,596 Posts
Personally, I would get the SS watch first, and the PM watch a little later. Both are awesome watches, and you couldn't go wrong with either.

I'm confused......do you want the new ceramic BLRO WG model or the older SS Pepsi??:-s:-s:think:

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
The GMT you are showing (modern version with blue/red bezel) is white gold and at least $25K. If you want a modern steel GMT then you will need to go with an all black or black/blue bezel. I also have a flat 7" wrist and find the GMT to be the perfect size for a versatile all rounder. However if you want big, and love the DSSD, then don't let $3K get in the way. Considering it has a fully brushed bracelet you should be fine desk diving too.

·
Registered
623 Posts

I think you'll find that either you'll watch out for the hunk of steel on your wrist or you won't -- the size differential probably won't come into play as much as you'd think. With the DSSD having more weight to it, you might even be more careful with it than a GMT where you might 'forget' you have a watch on more easily.

Also, it's a tool watch in stainless steel no less; don't purposefully ding it up, but wear it with pride, swirls and scratches included.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I hate to recommend another brand on this forum, but I can't resist. Take a look at the Seiko Marine master limited edition high beat diver SBEX001. It's BIG. Not too heavy as it's titanium. That titanium is also coat to resist scratches and dings. Price is in the middle between a DSSD and a GMT.

·
Premium Member
7,200 Posts
WARNING: Get the DSSD and maybe you'll add the GMT in the future. If you get the GMT now, you will lose money because you will flip it for a DSSD. Don't ask me how I know this. Get what you really want first!

·
Registered
10,084 Posts
The DSSD is indeed a superb watch, I have no regrets whatsoever in purchasing mine.
As for 'knocking it about', I shattered my DSSD 'pearl' by hitting it on an old 1950's style radiator
whilst walking down a corridor at School.
Not sure if that's because the watch is thick, or I'm just damn clumsy!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Although I understand its appeal — I own one �— after the infatuation phase, the thick and massive Deepsea just isn't all that practical of an everyday watch.

The 16710, on the other hand, is possibly the best all-around wristwatch Rolex has ever produced. It's far more versatile, and something you can easily wear every day of your life. Not only that, but you also get three bezel inserts and two bracelet options from which to choose. The pre-ceramic GMT was the first Rolex I ever bought, my favourite model at time... and it still is.

Even if they were the same price, I'd go with the GMT II for a daily wearer. The Deepsea can be a fun as an alternate watch to add later on, but even on my 7 7/8" wrist, the novelty would wear off pretty fast for everyday use.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Here is something to think about. When somebody says, what is the best Rolex watch to get. The answer is any Rolex. It is like one of my friends who said even if you get the low end Mercedes Benzes you are still part of the club.

That being said. Get the GMT. OK, so you like high end watches. But get a high end watch that is practical so when somebody says why did you got it. You can't tell them you go diving. lol. Get the GMT because it is practical to everyday use.

This is why I got the Seiko Sea Urchin. I don't go diving why do I need a screw down crown? But I want a water resistant watch though.

Here is something else to think about. The bigger the watch the more noticeable it is. So it is better to get a Rolex sub homage if you like the sub look. But the Rolex GMT is not that big and it looks like an everyday watch nobody will notice.

·
Premium Member
7,200 Posts
Here is something to think about. When somebody says, what is the best Rolex watch to get. The answer is any Rolex. It is like one of my friends who said even if you get the low end Mercedes Benzes you are still part of the club.
Sports* Rolex with an Oyster case (DateJust, Sub, OP, etc). God help you if you made them buy a Cellini.

·
Banned
404 Posts
Was passing by the local AD store the other day which had the GMT M2 Pepsi white gold in the window display.
Couldn't resist so went inside, she said it $40k aud and it's the last one. There is a 5% price rise at the end of the month and will be a waiting list.

The DSSD is indeed a Deepsea Monster compared to a Sub, GMT and SD. You will defintely know you are wearing one and if not cafeful can accidently knock it against objects while walking along. If you get it and later get the GMT, it feels like a featherweight.

But if you get the GMT first, you might not get used to the heavyweight & bulk, most dont. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
WARNING: Get the DSSD and maybe you'll add the GMT in the future. If you get the GMT now, you will lose money because you will flip it for a DSSD. Don't ask me how I know this. Get what you really want first!
100% agree. I would hunt first the DSSD as its the watch of your dreams.
If you get first the GMT, every time you look at it you'll think:
-It's not the DSSD.

It happened me in the past, with different brand/models though.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Price wasn't a huge concern when I made this post but I have to say that the GMT is my answer. It was really interesting hearing what you guys had to say. I thought everyone would say get the GMT. The GMT is the right price and also it's a beautiful piece.
Thanks again for the information and opinions. Always top notch information on this forum.

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,596 Posts
Like I said I'm leaning toward the DSSD but price is a huge factor.
Price wasn't a huge concern when I made this post but I have to say that the GMT is my answer. It was really interesting hearing what you guys had to say. I thought everyone would say get the GMT. The GMT is the right price and also it's a beautiful piece.
Thanks again for the information and opinions. Always top notch information on this forum.
I am SO CONFUSED by your flip-flopping, picture removing, and contradictory posts.............

1 - 20 of 20 Posts