WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, it would be nice to hear your opinions. Looking to purchase a nice simple classic dress watch at a reasonable price (the JLC can wait....plenty of time for that). So torn be tween two choices for everyday wear with my suits.

Option 1: Omega De Ville Prestige:
Simplistic timeless design, good size (39.5mm), fairly slim, reasonable price (pick up cheaper at duty free), reliable. But I have already have an Omega, no clear case back and old school pin buckle strap.

Option 2: Frederique Constant FC-710
Different style to what I already to possess, deployment strap, very stylish and dressy but a bit chunky at 42mm, though it wears small.

I have heard opinions of the FC on here but what about this particular Omega-any experiences or wristshots would be welcome. Both are at the same price point btw.

b-)

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I can't speak for the FC but I handled a Prestige a few months ago and it really is stunning.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
De Ville Prestige is a beautiful watch - I looked at one a few days ago. But for me I would pick the FC 710 - It's just a far more interesting dial and crown.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I'd vote for the Fred. Constant. It's a beautiful watch with a far more captivating dial and an attractive movement to boot! As for the De Ville, I've always thought it was the plain jane of the Omega lineup, sort of like how I've thought of the Datejust in Rolex's catalog. (I realize the Datejust is a classic, famous watch that tons of people wear . . . but it just seems to me that the heart of Rolex is the Submariner and the Explorer, the same way the heart of Omega is the Speedmaster Pro and the Seamaster.)

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
Frederic Constant for me as well

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
FC-710, gorgeous with incredible value/money.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
FC.

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
Hands down the Omega is the best looking of the two. The FC has just a bit too much eye candy in comparison.
The Deville doesn't have a 8500 but a 2400 which is a not really an inhouse movement compared to the 8500 and it doesn't feature the same technical specs. Here the fc 710 has an inhouse movement and offers more eye candy for the money than the Omega.

·
Registered
486 Posts
The Omega's dial seems to be a more unique design. The FC looks more traditional/common. I really like them both. That being said, if it were my money I'd be hard pressed to pick the FC over the Omega.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
There's no way I'd ever chose the FC over an Omega, especially the Deville, ESPECIALLY for the same price.
I agree, but the FC usually gets a bigger discount over the Omega. On the grey market, that FC-710 is just under $1500 versus the DeVille at just under $2900. Based on those numbers, I'd rather have the FC + $1400 in my pocket

·
Registered
264 Posts
Between these two references, I'm unsure. I like the FC a lot but to me it's too big and thick to be a real dress watch unless you have a monster wrist.

The De Ville is classic but I don't like this particular model too much. I don't love the mix of markers and Roman numerals and the watch is too big for its movement.

So, if you are OK with the size of the FC then I'm on board with that. To me, it would be very ostentatious with a suit. If you're aiming for understated, go Omega.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Another vote for the FC. If you haven't already, check out the "Maxime Manufacture" model too; it utilises the same FC movement but you might prefer the watch stylistically.

I really like these FC watches with the date display where a seconds sub-dial traditionally fits. If your new purchase were intended as a "one off" dress watch, then a date function is hardly necessary. That's why seeing date windows bothers me when it comes to defining what a "true" dress watch should be.

Interestingly, I find that the subtlety of a sub-dial date display at 6 bypasses this nitpick of mine by making the watch more versatile. You could wear it daily with a suit and enjoy the date-function, but you could also wear it on "dressier" occasions without the date function becoming obtrusive to dress watch decorum.

I have probably thought about this too much. In either case, I really enjoy looking at these FC models. Plus, I think this brand is only on the rise... and for the right reasons too.

Best,

Zac

·
Premium Member
5,616 Posts
Omega for me (although I'm admittedly a fanboi)

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of that particular FC's date indicator, I love the ones without the date dial. As it stands, I prefer the Omega's simple (NOT simplistic) look.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts