WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Long-time viewer of the forum, first-time poster. I've recently graduated from law school and I'm looking to mark the occasion with a new timepiece for when I start work at a firm. I really like understated watches with great movements from brands with heritage, and to no surprise, I've really fallen in love with the JLC Master Ultra Thin. However, I want to make sure I'm doing my research and considering all possible options.

Can anyone think of watches by other brands that you would put in the same league as JLC in their dressier watches in the 7-8k range? I'm familiar with the Zenith Elite, IWC Portofino, Nomos Orion, Lange Saxonia (although dang would I like to have that in the same price range lol), etc - can anyone else think of any comparable watches that would fit this overall idea?

Additionally, can anyone who owns a MUT say a little about how they enjoy it, and how well it pairs with business casual outfits?

Much appreciated!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Can't go wrong with MUT but I'll add a little sophistication with moonphase.

Chopard L.U.C. 1860 came to mind in your budget range..

Sent from my HTC_U-3u using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Some of the brands you mention aren't really comparable in price, brand or finishing.
JLC is one of my favorite manufacturers especially for a solid dress piece at that price level.
You can look into Montblanc for somewhat similar designs, but cheaper.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some of the brands you mention aren't really comparable in price, brand or finishing.
JLC is only my favorite manufacturers especially for a solid dress piece at that price level.
You can look into Montblanc for somewhat similar designs, but cheaper.
Most definitely, though I used the examples as more of an idea of the style of watch I am looking for more than a representation of the brand/price point (like I said, I wish the Lange was in this range because I'd love that haha). And thanks for the rec of Montblanc; I'll have to check in on their offerings. I'm more familiar with their chronographs, but it does look like they make some nice understated dress watches.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have both the JLC Master Control 37mm and the Zenith Elite 37mm. Both are beautiful but there is something about the JLC which makes me favour it over the two. Very easy to wear with casual attire especially with an ostrich strap or a contrast stitch strap.
Some pics for your enjoyment.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Most definitely, though I used the examples as more of an idea of the style of watch I am looking for more than a representation of the brand/price point (like I said, I wish the Lange was in this range because I'd love that haha). And thanks for the rec of Montblanc; I'll have to check in on their offerings. I'm more familiar with their chronographs, but it does look like they make some nice understated dress watches.
Understood! Style is certainly a good place to start when looking for a watch.

One other brand, though less common, is GP. Their 1966 line is somewhat similar.

https://www.girard-perregaux.com/en/1966

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hey everyone,

Long-time viewer of the forum, first-time poster. I've recently graduated from law school and I'm looking to mark the occasion with a new timepiece for when I start work at a firm. I really like understated watches with great movements from brands with heritage, and to no surprise, I've really fallen in love with the JLC Master Ultra Thin. However, I want to make sure I'm doing my research and considering all possible options.

Can anyone think of watches by other brands that you would put in the same league as JLC in their dressier watches in the 7-8k range? I'm familiar with the Zenith Elite, IWC Portofino, Nomos Orion, Lange Saxonia (although dang would I like to have that in the same price range lol), etc - can anyone else think of any comparable watches that would fit this overall idea?

Additionally, can anyone who owns a MUT say a little about how they enjoy it, and how well it pairs with business casual outfits?

Much appreciated!
I had the mut Moon for nearly 5 years and recently sold it. The date was bugging me as it’s difficult to read. It’s not the most versatile piece.

I ended up buying the grand Seiko gmt iwate dial sbgj201. It’s quite thick and comes with a bracelet but boy is it beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Eamonn, thanks for the insight. I actually went to my local JLC boutique to give them a try on today, and I agree with you, the moon is a beautiful complication but there's just something awkward about how the dates look around it. However, the small seconds hands was stunning, I think my initial inclination was right.

And Nuvolablue, thanks for those beautiful shots. Its great to hear that the piece can be dressed down somewhat without looking out of place. I think today, given how unbelievably clean and well-designed these watches are, it really can be worn with anything.

Thanks all for your help!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Eamonn, thanks for the insight. I actually went to my local JLC boutique to give them a try on today, and I agree with you, the moon is a beautiful complication but there's just something awkward about how the dates look around it. However, the small seconds hands was stunning, I think my initial inclination was right.

And Nuvolablue, thanks for those beautiful shots. Its great to hear that the piece can be dressed down somewhat without looking out of place. I think today, given how unbelievably clean and well-designed these watches are, it really can be worn with anything.

Thanks all for your help!
No problem at all.... Make sure you update us on this thread with your eventual purchase, JLC or not.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
757 Posts
Yep, you can't go wrong with a MUT small seconds if you are looking for a dressier watch. We're business casual at the office and it's fine. But where it really shines is every once in a while that I have to suit up. The watch stands out among the many Rolex Subs and Panerai everyone has in the conference rooms, and holds its own against the ALS and VC I sometimes encounter.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, you can't go wrong with a MUT small seconds if you are looking for a dressier watch. We're business casual at the office and it's fine. But where it really shines is every once in a while that I have to suit up. The watch stands out among the many Rolex Subs and Panerai everyone has in the conference rooms, and holds its own against the ALS and VC I sometimes encounter.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Stunning! And yep, this is about as solid an affirmation as I could need haha. My firm is mostly the same in dress code; mostly business casual, though formal if you're going to be in court. Great to hear that the style is quite flexible on yours, I think that was probably my biggest concern. Thanks for the photo, that's a damned fine piece!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts