WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys..

I just thought about adding a dress watch to my collection.. something that goes well with suits. I dont want to spend over $2000 and prefer a lightly used watch.

Any good dress watches in this price range... It seems like the best ones are way to expensive, patek, breguet, etc

Thank You

·
Registered
323 Posts
i got my Speedy pro used slightly over 2k... its quite a versatile watch as it goes well with leather and bracelet.

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
You can pick up a vintage Grand Seiko under US$2k.

Specifically, look for the 5722 and 4420 series. The movements in these are amazing,with nice conservative finishing in the Japanese style and multiple shock absorption endcaps. Here's a 5722:

(not my pic)

The 4420 is very similar:

(not my pic)

These come in a few styles, very simple, classic and conservative, some are availbale on the bay right now. GMHutton also had a 5722 recently for sale, well below your budget. For US$2k you should be looking at the watches in excellent to near mint condition, fully serviced, and with original boxes, and buckles (maybe not straps).

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Baume & Mercier Classima

Not sure about the exact price, but should be under $2k

Frederique Constant Classics - $950 retail (should be able to get a good discount on it). Its for

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
I'll be the first to recommend that you take a look at Stowa watches. I don't own one yet - but a Marine Original is on the (never decreasing) short list. Plus you can buy new for about half your budget.

http://www.german-watches.com/cgi-bin/lshop.cgi

·
Registered
941 Posts
I was going to suggest Stowa. The MO is a bit big on my wrist to be a pure dress watch. The Antea might be a better size for 6.5 -6.75 inch. You'd get plenty of change from 2K.

Nomo's Tangomat (people are probably sick of me suggesting this for every occasion).

That B&M above looks sweet.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
I was going to suggest Stowa. The MO is a bit big on my wrist to be a pure dress watch. The Antea might be a better size for 6.5 -6.75 inch. You'd get plenty of change from 2K.

Nomo's Tangomat (people are probably sick of me suggesting this for every occasion).

That B&M above looks sweet.
Absolutely, I was just looking at the Antea myself - what an amazing deal for that watch.

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,281 Posts
Some very nice watches above. I'm really liking blued hands on a white/silver dial and starting to think about my own next purchase! But the OP didn't specify many preferences - Do you have a preference for auto/quartz/manual? Size? Case & dial color? Complications? Any further info will help narrow a very large field.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Try a good/reputable used watch shop who deal in premium Swiss, and have a look at some of the old Omegas, Tag or Rolex etc, or take a look at the Citizen Campanola - hand made in Japan. (check out the craftsmanship of these babies).

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Might look at vintage (gold) Zenith, IWC (cal 89), Omega.
An older Rolex DJ (TT) is "do-able" in your price range as well.
Excellent suggestions! :-! In addition to those, perhaps a vintage JLC or a vintage GP. I also like Jason's suggestion of a pre-owned Grand Seiko.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts