WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all of the dive watch lovers out there, how often do you wear a dive watch for a formal occasion instead of a dress watch? Do you keep a dress watch in your collection? Just wondering about all of this because I'm thinking about whether or not to sell my dress watch (a Tissot Visodate) and add more dive watches to my collection. I like the look of the Visodate but I'm not wearing it as often as I would like as opposed to my divers.

Also, post some pics of your favorite dressy dive watches!

·
Premium Member
3,799 Posts
For all of the dive watch lovers out there, how often do you wear a dive watch for a formal occasion instead of a dress watch? Do you keep a dress watch in your collection? Just wondering about all of this because I'm thinking about whether or not to sell my dress watch (a Tissot Visodate) and add more dive watches to my collection. I like the look of the Visodate but I'm not wearing it as often as I would like as opposed to my divers.

Whenever the time comes for me to dress up again, I'll throw my AT on a strap and call it good. Or maybe my World Timer, though it's a little thick. I'm not a fan of having a designated dress watch.

Not sure I'd wear my Omega Seamaster 300M as a dress watch though, or any of my divers, since I have the AT and the World Timer.

·
Registered
Rolex datejust
1,178 Posts

Have and worn both of those with dressy attire. While I am not james bond, I like breaking tradition and wearing what I like. But also I do have my deville or datejust if I need to dress up. Makes my choice easy when all I have are dress or diver watches to wear. Field watch is my beater so obviously only wear that for mowing lawn, hikes and things like that.

·
Premium Member
14,494 Posts
What is your definition of "formal"? Black tie, dress watch or no watch. Suit formal, it depends on the event as to what I wear....I have worn an Oris Aquis to some and a dress watch to others. Coat/blazer level formal, wear whatever watch you want. My Tutima Pacific and Sinn 556 never felt out of place.
...but I will admit, I actually enjoy wearing dress watches. I will wear a Seiko diver with a blazer and a dress watch with a t-shirt and shorts.

I personally think Halios and NTH do some of the best dress divers at any price point. Oris, Omega, Tudor, and obviously Rolex are automatically eligible lol.

Because pics...

I have worn these 2 to semi-formal (coat/tie) events

And I would not hesitate to wear these

·
Registered
10,090 Posts

I just wear my 'cleanest' dive watch. Which is my Tudor. But define 'formal occasion'. I rarely go to anything more formal than a wedding or funeral. And in both cases my Tudor seems to be subtle enough, and thin enough to work. I used to have to dress up in business / business casual for work - many years ago - but I still wore a dive watch. And it was hardly formal.

I'm sure if I went to a lot of events that required a bit more dressing up, I'd want to get something else - but for me, I'm just not exposed to the sorts of environments that require it. I live on an island in the Pacific populated mostly by bureaucrats, retirees, IT people, dirt-bag surfers and trail runners, and members of the military. We aren't a formal bunch here.

Reactions: Mediocre

·
Premium Member
3,799 Posts
I just wear my 'cleanest' dive watch. Which is my Tudor. But define 'formal occasion'. I rarely go to anything more formal than a wedding or funeral. And in both cases my Tudor seems to be subtle enough, and thin enough to work. I used to have to dress up in business / business casual for work - many years ago - but I still wore a dive watch. And it was hardly formal.

I'm sure if I went to a lot of events that required a bit more dressing up, I'd want to get something else - but for me, I'm just not exposed to the sorts of environments that require it. I live on an island in the Pacific populated mostly by bureaucrats, retirees, IT people, dirt-bag surfers and trail runners, and members of the military. We aren't a formal bunch here.
I don't own a suit...I have never owned a suit (with the exception of my Air Force uniforms). I used to have a couple sports coats that I would wear with nice slacks, shoes and shirts (sometimes with ties), but an actual civilian suit? Nope.
I AM planning to buy one soon...so we will see how my AT and World Timer go with it....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
View attachment 15934151
View attachment 15934152

Have and worn both of those with dressy attire. While I am not james bond, I like breaking tradition and wearing what I like. But also I do have my deville or datejust if I need to dress up. Makes my choice easy when all I have are dress or diver watches to wear. Field watch is my beater so obviously only wear that for mowing lawn, hikes and things like that.
I commented on your post of your Seiko spb143 yesterday! I did some additional research after seeing your pics and I've decided to start saving to make that my possible next purchase! Just love the clean look of the spb143. Also that Oris looks a lot like the Baltic Aquascaphe that I'm also aiming for.

·
Premium Member
14,494 Posts
I don't own a suit...I have never owned a suit (with the exception of my Air Force uniforms). I used to have a couple sports coats that I would wear with nice slacks, shoes and shirts (sometimes with ties), but an actual civilian suit? Nope.
I AM planning to buy one soon...so we will see how my AT and World Timer go with it....
If you go tailored, take your watch so you make sure you have cuff room. Faux pas gobbledygook aside, one of the major benefits of most dress watches is easily fitting under a tight cuff

·
Premium Member
3,799 Posts
If you go tailored, take your watch so you make sure you have cuff room. Faux pas gobbledygook aside, one of the major benefits of most dress watches is easily fitting under a tight cuff
Already planned to do that but I appreciate the advice. I'll take the World Timer since it's thicker than the AT. Options baby!

Reactions: Mediocre

·
Premium Member
3,538 Posts
GO Seaq strikes me as dressy enough for a diver, 39mm, 12.2mm, 47mm 200m

photo courtesy of Monochrome Watches

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Rule of thumb for me - if it has a rotating bezel, you can't use it for dress duties.
Now the question you need to ask yourself are what are these formal situations you're thinking of?

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
Only one in my eyes, unless you count an AT as a dive watch. Mainly because this one hides the bezel better than almost any other dive watch and dive bezel does not equal dress in any way.

·
Registered
Rolex datejust
1,178 Posts
I commented on your post of your Seiko spb143 yesterday! I did some additional research after seeing your pics and I've decided to start saving to make that my possible next purchase! Just love the clean look of the spb143. Also that Oris looks a lot like the Baltic Aquascaphe that I'm also aiming for.
You will not regret it. Find an AD that can give you a great price. Or trusted grey market like jomashop. I like AD as its more personal and the relationship is great if built right. Honestly best watch I own and all my others are getting jealous as the spb143 is getting major wrist time.

·
Premium Member
3,799 Posts

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
For all of the dive watch lovers out there, how often do you wear a dive watch for a formal occasion instead of a dress watch? Do you keep a dress watch in your collection?
a) I would never wear a dive watch when dressing up. I mean, I could if i wanted to, sure - but why? There are so many other nice watches, why restrict myself to only one genre? I love burgers as well, but that doesnt mean i order burgers at every restaurant i go to.

b) Pure dress watch? No. The closest thing I have is the Lange 1815 U/D, which is dressy but not a Dress Watch (as used to define a genre of watches). I dont wear a suit or tux enough to warrant a classic dress watch, and prefer watches which are more versatile. The Lange goes with jeans, nice sneakers and a polo, as well as with a suit.

The idea that you can only have a dress watch or a dive watch is such a weird dichotomy to me. These are 2 extreme ends of the spectrum and ignores such a large spectrum of watches which you can wear in most urban, white-collar-type situations.

Here are a few. None are dress watches. All can be worn with jeans/sneakers but each of them will look nicer with a suit as well. If you really cannot tolerate anything except a diver on your wrist, knock yourself out, but personally, I like a little variety in my life.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts