WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I just purchased a Steinhart Ocean Vintage GMT – I'm super, super, super excited for it to arrive in the mail.

I noticed the watch does not have lug holes drilled through the entirety of the lug to make for easy strap changes. I'm a fan of this system, and I was wondering – is it possible to drill these holes myself or have a professional do it for me? I Googled around and couldn't find much of anything on this topic.

Thanks a bunch for the help,

Jeff

·
Premium Member
7,950 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
You asked so I feel a duty to tell you,this is a really bad idea. Learning to carefully use a spring bar tool is much easier than trying to drill lugs. Frankly your Steinhart will likely end up looking bad if you do this even if you find a watchmaker willing to have ago at it. Jmho. You asked.
Kevin

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
While I will strongly suggest you do not try and undertake this, it is of course theoretically possible.

Having a background in auto mechanics I am no stranger to metal work and in particular, metal drilling. Lining the hole up to the pre-existing spring bar holes will take precise measurements, and will be very hard because the lug wont be flat. When you drill, it will have to be a one shot deal or you will cosmetically destroy the lugs. You would have to strip the watch down to the bare case and secure it without marking the case.

My answer to you, it is possible but will take a knowledge of metal work, the right tools, and a extreme skill. But the chance of marking or damaging the lugs is VERY high. Not to mention the possibility of causing a fracture of the lug.

·
Premium Member
21,859 Posts
If you have to ask for advice, you almost surely lack the necessary machining skills to execute this successfully.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts