4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Reactions: watchcrank_tx

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
:ROFLMAO:

Both sorry and glad to have helped push you over the edge. Merry Christmas, mate. :cool:

(I hadn't bought a watch in six days, but had sworn when I had that I was done for the year.)

Same here. I've been curious about it since first seeing it in the Swiss mechanical Fossils some years back. On paper the STP 1-11 has positional specifications matching top grade ETA/Sellita, with isochronism being the same as that of the Élaboré grade ETA/Sellita. It's also decorated (by machine of course), which the Élaboré Sellita isn't. So it's theoretically more prescise and undoubtedly cheaper and better looking.

On the other hand, it's developed a reputation as a troublesome beast. So maybe curiosity killed the cat, we'll see. It also nearly certainly has a higher Chinese part content, which bothers many but not me.

(A friend pointed out that I wasn't buying a watch, I was conducting movement research, at which point I blamed his making me laugh for making my finger slip. :ROFLMAO:)

Hope you got the display back, since that machine decoration is quite attractive and since the theme of the solid caseback is rather perplexing.

The watch itself just looks neat. I love the curves and the ultra short lugs. No idea how good or bad a watch it is, but at this price, I don't care that much. If it's great, I'll wear it for a while and likely eventually gift or favor-price it to a friend. If it sucks, I'll sell it for a loss. If it sucks really badly, I'll give it away. If it sucks too badly to give away, I'll keep it for future experiments in watchmaking. Hard to lose at that price.

Edit to add: I went with stainless case and leather.

Nah, I went w/ the pvd case, solid case back and khaki strap. Couldn’t get the leather strap option to work so I sent them an email regarding it. They must just be out.

I read Docs comments on the movement. From the sounds of it, if it works you're golden. If it doesn't your screwed. With the 2 year warranty hopefully it works out. But yeah, I've spent much more on a watch so curiosity got me here.

Link

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
I read Docs comments on the movement. From the sounds of it, if it works you're golden. If it doesn't your screwed. With the 2 year warranty hopefully it works out. But yeah, I've spent much more on a watch so curiosity got me here.
That was my impression too, both from Doc's comments and from a few Zodiac owners I've run into who had problems with STP movements and a few more who had no problems. Also from talking to a watchmaking student whose school is sponsored by Fossil group and therefore learns on STPs.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I just bought this watch (Stainless Steel, Solid Caseback, w/STP on NATO). I'd been debating buying the Felix since Drop introduced it but hesitated because of my oversized collection of watches. But now Drop throws this good looking field watch with a Swiss made movement in front of my face and charges less than a low end Seiko? Let's just say I'm all over it. And with a 2 year warranty I'll say that's pretty good insurance for this movement.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Mine has shipped to Iowa. With the extra $5 I got UPS shipping (can't find the level of service). Regardless, I should have it by Tuesday night. To me it seems they just packaged it up earlier than they otherwise would have.

Regardless, I'm considering buying a leather Blushark strap to go w/ it. Has anyone else given them a try?

Edit: Okay they shipped with UPS Ground

As far as I can tell it means UPS will do the final delivery where the lesser option they hand it off to USPS for final delivery. If true it's probably worth the $5.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Mine has shipped to Iowa. With the extra $5 I got UPS shipping (can't find the level of service). Regardless, I should have it by Tuesday night. To me it seems they just packaged it up earlier than they otherwise would have.

Regardless, I'm considering buying a leather Blushark strap to go w/ it. Has anyone else given them a try?
I'm curious what you end up thinking.

·
Premium Member
5,011 Posts
When I first read the title to this thread, I thought it was going to be another one of those, "I dropped my watch. Will it still run," threads.
Joe

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I should have mine w/in 24 hours, albeit the watch has sat in Chicago since Dec 31, so I'm skeptical.

I'll post pictures if it does arrive.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

Well it arrived! The outer box was in bad shape (looked like it had been submerged in water at some point) but it seems the watch is okay. At least I'm hoping, I'll watch how it keeps time, fingers crossed.

Regardless, the actual watch is a reflection monster. It took some effort to take pictures w/out me in them. The screw in crown is nice and easy to use due to the large size.... there is a ghost date if that bothers you (I could care less).

The strap is.... subpar in my opinion mostly due to the hardware. It feels kind of flimsy, like it could come loose at any time. I'm going to consider finding something else for it. The leather strap doesn't seem very well liked by drop customers either. If anyone else buys I'd suggest to not put much stock into their strap options. With that said I do not believe it actually will come loose and it's soft. The holes seem to have been punched through and that's it, they will have loose pieces of thread sticking out eventually. The strap will not last forever.

Things I do like. It looks good (keep in mind I did not pay $300-400+ like some people.... this watch is not worth that). The tan strap really brings out the orange hints from the dial. The crown having that bit of orange is nice as well. The seconds hand is nice and long enough. If you look closely all the hands are slightly bent near the end due to the crystal being a dome. It reminds me of the Orient Bambino in that sense.

Anyhow, I'll try and take nicer pictures and post them here as the opportunity arises.

At the moment I'm happy with my purchase. I hope you guys recieve your watches soon

·
Registered
Just one more TX Timex Enabler Club - Broths Hams n Subs
11,617 Posts
That is very good looking crown. They got something right out of the Electric.

Only reason the electric is a permanent resident of the watchbox

Crown Issues by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

Attachments

• Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
    38.8 KB Views: 34

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
^You need to get that thumb looked at.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Just noticed the label on the lingonberries. Well played! 🤣

(Just be sure not to drop either the watch or the berries.)
If they both slip off the edge it will automatically be a mass drop onto the field below and we certainly don't want that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
View attachment 15635058 View attachment 15635059 View attachment 15635061 View attachment 15635062 View attachment 15635063 View attachment 15635065 View attachment 15635066

Well it arrived! The outer box was in bad shape (looked like it had been submerged in water at some point) but it seems the watch is okay. At least I'm hoping, I'll watch how it keeps time, fingers crossed.

Regardless, the actual watch is a reflection monster. It took some effort to take pictures w/out me in them. The screw in crown is nice and easy to use due to the large size.... there is a ghost date if that bothers you (I could care less).

The strap is.... subpar in my opinion mostly due to the hardware. It feels kind of flimsy, like it could come loose at any time. I'm going to consider finding something else for it. The leather strap doesn't seem very well liked by drop customers either. If anyone else buys I'd suggest to not put much stock into their strap options. With that said I do not believe it actually will come loose and it's soft. The holes seem to have been punched through and that's it, they will have loose pieces of thread sticking out eventually. The strap will not last forever.

Things I do like. It looks good (keep in mind I did not pay $300-400+ like some people.... this watch is not worth that). The tan strap really brings out the orange hints from the dial. The crown having that bit of orange is nice as well. The seconds hand is nice and long enough. If you look closely all the hands are slightly bent near the end due to the crystal being a dome. It reminds me of the Orient Bambino in that sense.

Anyhow, I'll try and take nicer pictures and post them here as the opportunity arises.

At the moment I'm happy with my purchase. I hope you guys recieve your watches soon
How would you compare it to the alpinist?

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
Mine arrived. Probably not a long-term keeper but a neat little watch. Leather strap was a $10 upgrade - maybe it will soften in time, but my initial impression is they should have paid me $10 to take it 🤣. But still, at the fantastic current pricing, I can't complain.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I just put in my order for the cheapest $190 version, canvas strap with solid caseback. I feel bad for the early adopters, it's like a Kickstarter gone awry.

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
I just put in my order for the cheapest $190 version, canvas strap with solid caseback.
Canvas is certainly the way to go. The leather is less than impressive.
I feel bad for the early adopters, it's like a Kickstarter gone awry.
Indeed, that's the main downside of this watch: wincing when one thinks of the first buyers. From reading the comments on Drop, many of them suffered through long delays too.

The lume isn't great, but neither is that on the modern Hamiltons I've owned. The rest of the watch is very well done though. It's distinctive, great looking, well specced, well sized, and extremely well priced.

This watch will make me more receptive to Drop-branded watches in the future, but the history of its production and pricing will also make me hold out for a long, long time on buying any such future models.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts