WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

The title pretty much says it all (as you can see i'm looking at a few styles of watches currently, all of them housing ETA automatic movements and i'm wondering between them - taking into consideration the longability of the movement)

How are Dubois Dépraz movements ? I know i know, high-end watches carry them so they must be amazing - but still, as watchmakers , what do you think about these movements (ETA based with added complications such as big date, power reserve and etc) ?

How relabile (or not) these movements are ? Are they servicable ? (When I think of a non-standard movement I have a feeling it's tougher for a watchmaker to service)

Please give me some input i'm so confused ;)

Any input will be so much appreciated !

Db1

·
Moderator Emeritus
54,125 Posts
First of all DD is not a movement manufacturer. Dubois-Depraz makes modules that can sit on base movements (such as the ETA 2892 which is a very popular choice for a base movement and/or ETA 2824 chosen to pimp up with a chrono module) to add functionality the movement as such does not feature. They do a lot of calendar modules. Since they delivered modules to Patek, landeron, Minerva, Valjoux, Eberhard, Breitling, Kelek I would say they are reputable and reliable. And of course they are repairable, not by those mall repair shops but by any knowledgeable watchmaker.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
. . . . And of course they are repairable, not by those mall repair shops but by any knowledgeable watchmaker.
The base calibers - yes.

Some of the modules - no.

Certain of the modules are assembled with the aid of certain factory advantages that are unavailable outside of DD or their agents. Disassembly outside of these environs will on ocassion end up with one back together functioning more or less correctly - but usually not. Service centers typically swap modules and or return them to Europe for swap and or service and repair.

Been there.

Done that.

And still have a bad taste.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'd disagree that they're difficult to service. We do them all the time at the service center I work at. Mostly chronograph 2000 and 20000 variations. And it takes less time to do the module than the base movement usually. Even the 2894 is serviceable if you have the tools and parts. Everybody uses the modular approach these days even Patek, although theirs are mostly in house these days I believe.

·
Registered
62 Posts
As to the original poster's question, go ahead and get a watch with a DD module. They may not be quite as robust as a 7750 movement, but they are very nicely made and while complex they do work very well. As long as you take it to the official service center when it's time for an overhaul you don't need to worry.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
I'd disagree that they're difficult to service. We do them all the time at the service center I work at. Mostly chronograph 2000 and 20000 variations. And it takes less time to do the module than the base movement usually. Even the 2894 is serviceable if you have the tools and parts. Everybody uses the modular approach these days even Patek, although theirs are mostly in house these days I believe.
Chris, I find nothing straightford about servicing 2022 without factory support.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I once did a 2894 before I discovered both what I was in for and the fact one is supposed to exchange the module. Not my favorite job and I have learned my lesson. No more.

·
Registered
955 Posts
If you can obtain spare parts theyre not so dificult to repair,you need special jigs for a 2894 but i have done it even without the special tools,the DD dies not need the special tools. But i dont like the production of them too ugly and also more than 10 types of screws certainly gives headaches

br
emso

p.s: sent from my ****ty phone so sorry for typing mistakes :)

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
If you can obtain spare parts theyre not so dificult to repair,you need special jigs for a 2894 but i have done it even without the special tools,the DD dies not need the special tools. But i dont like the production of them too ugly and also more than 10 types of screws certainly gives headaches . . . . . .
Thank you! They were indeed designed to be assembled on the "fixture". I share your dislike of them. Parts in my experience are unobtainable for a non-aligned watchmaker.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Thank you! They were indeed designed to be assembled on the "fixture". I share your dislike of them. Parts in my experience are unobtainable for a non-aligned watchmaker.
I dont like the finishing of the parts for DD modules but theyre easy to repair, 2894 is different story good finishing but dificult to obtain spare parts repairing is easy after the second/third assembly even without fixture.But you are wrong that i dislike them i like them as they bring good profit for my companu as the other watchmakers are afraid to touch them

br
emso

Reactions: pithy

·
Registered
690 Posts

pithy exhibits a good point there,in the fact that unless you are approved by dd directly then you have nigh on no hope of getting parts.

How difficult is it to be approved by dd?

what are their requirements regarding qualifications/equipment,other than the standard procedure of a wostep watchmaker?

·
Registered
955 Posts
pithy exhibits a good point there,in the fact that unless you are approved by dd directly then you have nigh on no hope of getting parts.

How difficult is it to be approved by dd?

what are their requirements regarding qualifications/equipment,other than the standard procedure of a wostep watchmaker?
Well DD sells parts only to their buyers(manufacturers) so you need to be certificated service center for a brand which uses the DD modules.
Regarding the equipment every brand has its own requirements but be prepared to spend at least 30k euros on equipment and tools.

br
emso

·
Registered
494 Posts
Save yourself the headache and buy something with a 7750 or Lemania movement . This way you're not chained to a dealership for the life of the watch.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for the replies and interesting conversation, I love mechanical watches and always like to read notes written by watchmakers about movements etc..

I understand from what i'm reading here, that having a watch with a movement containing a DD module is a hassle of being chained to a service center ?

So probably the only way to get around this is to obtain an "extra spare" movement and keep it aside, to avoid needing a service center in case of failure ? (I believe that every watchmaker can swap movments without being DD certified or something)

Well I've just purchased a 2nd hand Oris Big Date automatic, which as much as i'm aware powered by a base 2892-A2 movement with a DD module on top for the big date and sub second (at 6H) features ? (Btw: what "grade" is a 2892-A2 ? I know there are three grades in ETA movements, is there a way to tell ?)
Oris coded this movement Caliber 665, does any of you have had experience with this movement\watch ?

Thanks

·
Registered
690 Posts
Save yourself the headache and buy something with a 7750 or Lemania movement . This way you're not chained to a dealership for the life of the watch.
Yes i agree to some people i.e the consumer that would be a better option,but i'm sure there are some watchmakers out there who would still like to be able to service modular chrono's,rather than being at the mercy of the swiss watch houses.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I am one of those watchmakers and I do service those modules , but the swiss have a strangle hold here in the US and they go out of thier way to make it difficult. There is no lobbing group for independent WM's . I have a VERY well equipped shop and have factory training by brands such as Rolex ,JLC and Tag Heuer ( two of which I was employed by ) but they will not open any trade accounts in my area due to the proximity of local AD 's most of which do not have a WM on staff . The swiss want the market closed and it will only change due to consumer pressure and decreased sales , but by then independents will be very few and very far between . So for now , buyer beware and buy smart .

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
I am one of those watchmakers and I do service those modules , but the swiss have a strangle hold here in the US and they go out of thier way to make it difficult. There is no lobbing group for independent WM's . I have a VERY well equipped shop and have factory training by brands such as Rolex ,JLC and Tag Heuer ( two of which I was employed by ) but they will not open any trade accounts in my area due to the proximity of local AD 's most of which do not have a WM on staff . The swiss want the market closed and it will only change due to consumer pressure and decreased sales , but by then independents will be very few and very far between . So for now , buyer beware and buy smart .
Yep. They want it ALL! Hence the "boutiques" and new "service centers".

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Not long ago I received a Doxa with a 2894. Having learned my lesson previously I called Doxa to inquire as to having it serviced. They said call back in 3 months as they weren't taking any more work at this time.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Not long ago I received a Doxa with a 2894. Having learned my lesson previously I called Doxa to inquire as to having it serviced. They said call back in 3 months as they weren't taking any more work at this time.
Well you should send it to eta they would send you refurbished module :)

br
emso

1 - 19 of 19 Posts