1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
145 Posts
I see the irony, but I have been guilty of the same. I take off my SMPc and leave it in the locker when I go swimming not because I am worried about waterproofing, but because I have a gadget watch that is specifically made for swimming. It counts my laps and such, and I am so accustomed to having it while swimming that I will forgo the workout if I forgot to bring it with me (it now stays in my swim bag with the paddles and other gear).

·
Registered
1,846 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Agree with hydrocarbon. He's wearing a vintage Rolex so clearly knows something about watches and probably had a valid reason not to trust it in water. He may be just waiting to send it off for service. If the owner was a wearing a current model Deapsea then ......

·
Premium Member
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only people to blame are the thief and his meth dealer. 26000$ watch -> 50 bucks worth of meth. It's a win win situation. I just hope the dealer doesn't wear the watch in the shower.......

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Hopefully it's insured. If I bring an expensive watch on holidays or a business trip, it's not coming off my wrist, even when I sleep.

And lately, I've been content with just leaving the nice watch at home and wearing a cheap Timex. But I travel to places maybe a little more risky than Toronto.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I imagine that it would be difficult to stay in one's lane if swimming laps with a SD on.

This is also an opportunity for the overused Christopher Walken Pulp Fiction picture. A Lesson learned about a gym locker versus a prison locker. :)

I hope he is able to recover his possessions. Thieves are not punished severely enough, regardless of the monetary value.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
So he switches from one threat (damage to the Rollie) for another threat? (getting his S D ripped off)
Maybe I'm over cautious, but I would have left it at home!!!! He can't afford a Zenton to wear when swimming?
Heart Surgeon pal o mine owns a P P Calatrava and keeps it in his safety deposit box at the bank. What good
is a watch you have to drive to downtown Malfunction Junction to remove from storeage (and return it too) in
order to impress other Chest Cutters?

Lou Snutt

·
Premium Member
39,730 Posts
I wouldn't be so quick to blame the victim here, as this article does: NP: Toronto man takes off $26,000 Rolex waterproof diving watch to go swimming — and has it stolen.

Acrylic's integrity degrades with time; if he was using the original highly-domed T39 crystal, it would have been unwise to take the watch in water.

Generally, though, your wrist is the safest place to keep your watch. With a fresh crystal and seals, I'd trust a 1665 to its full depth rating.
Pffffft

Reading the details before making judgements is no fun!

·
Registered
30,562 Posts
Yes the thief is an a$$ but I fail to see why he would such a valuable possession in a locker room in the first place. I know there's an ethical argument to be had but the reality is thieves exist. Don't leave your valuables around, especially in something as easy to break into like a pool/gym locker. Just basic risk mitigation. Even if you go there straight from work, plan what you're wearing to work at the start of the day.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
The man must be kicking himself.

When I saw the notice of the stolen Rolex on CBC TV news, I thought, man, must be a slow news day! Stuff gets stolen everywhere all the time, but 99% of it do not make it on to TV. It's almost like having that Rolex stolen is the equivalent of having a child being abducted. You'd never see "$10 Timex stolen from locker blah blah blah" on the news.

Probably what happened was that he had a habit of doing that. Some other swimmer there happened to be a crook, saw this guy leave his Rolex in the locker, and the Rolex is gone.

I have a relative who put her wallet in her back-pack. Took out the wallet to use one time in Chinatown, and sometime later, the wallet was gone. Be careful with valuables in public, assume thieves are everywhere.

·
Registered
14,905 Posts
LOLLLL no sympathy here, who would take a 26k rolex swimming and leave it in a locker at a swimming pool, some people have more money than sense, there are plenty of people deserving of sympathy in this world, this blokes at the very bottom of that list.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.