WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't ever buy these watches! It is a poorly crafted time piece. I fell in their trap beacuse I did also like their design. However it is not only the absolutely bad quality -go to Timex and spend 100 dollars for a better watch- what struck me but also the 'design scam'. None of these watches was designed by the very famous names they abuse by referring to them in their advertising: they are just "inspired" in Bauhaus like watches. To my knowledge only Max Bill from Bauhaus designed a time piece and DUFA does not produce it. My watch stopped working less than a year after been bought. Even under warranty I had to pay 128 dollars to a third party repair company (IWSC) in California. The watch was returned yesterday and still it does not work! A total SCAM, both the brand and their repair system! AVOID.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Did some research and see similarities to other Chinese products like seagull, red star, etc. Concave case on dufa and seagull look suspiciously similar (but that's just my take)....

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just thought I would point out that some of Spinnaker's latest offerings (such as the Piccard and the new Tesei) are pretty impressive. Could it not also be the case that the brands start off with cheap knock-off-style watches to establish their footprint/niche, but use that capital to then expand into more serious wristwear? FWIW, that appears to be what they have done with Spinnaker.

I'm not saying they're good/bad/whatever, just that the launch quality (back in 2013) may just be that and not fully represent where the brands end up.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
All those Dartmouth brands market their fake heritage/origin. But Dufa's 'Made in Germany' actually feels like a scam. They did some swindling to get that on the dials. Made in China.

·
Registered
1 Posts
All the above is interesting. This seems to be a common theme lately as people are trying to catch people with this "Made in Germany" gimmick. All that said, they do make a nice looking watch.
I don't care if they're made on the moon...I own one and appreciate its quality....Heaven for
bid you end up with a watch made in China....get a life Mr.Perfect.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Np with where they are made as long as it is transparent and sincere - small things like that matter, it's fair and not perfection snobbery.

Agreed: there are other brands that were bought merely for the brand name and started manufactoring from ground up (Blancpain). They were totally transparent from the start about it and are now one of the icons again.

Dufa should be allowed to do the same and we shouldn't judge without trying them first. They do look good.

My first advice to Dufa would be to put additional info about their recent history, manufacturing process etc to their website, so they don't look like a mushroom brand....

·
Moderator Emeritus
55,395 Posts
I don't care if they're made on the moon...I own one and appreciate its quality....Heaven for
Well, with Dartmouth's insincerity, the quality of the watch (if there is such) is irrelevant to me. For me as a watch aficionado DuFa is as far away as the moon, in fact. „Made on the moon“ or „Made in Germany“ is probably no difference for Dartmouth.

As we all know, Dufa has not much in common with the former German watch factory in Thuringia. London multi-brand group Dartmouth Brands Ltd. revived the Thuringian patient who had actually been declared dead in 2016 after multiple crashes.
Unfortunately, Dufa is intransparent at the moment, which creates question marks rather than „aha“ effects in the German watch community.

The current Dufa website is not exactly helpful in counteracting this: background information on the history and the current minds behind the brand are missing.

The minds behind Dufa definitely have to invest a lot of time here to give the brand a face (again). Who is acting in the background of the revived brand? Where are the watches assembled in order to achieve the necessary added value to comply with „Made in Germany“? What‘s the real history, where is the connection to Etzold & Popitz, Kienzle, Haller and Hott (Dufa Deutsche Uhrenfabrik GmbH. & Co. KG)? There‘s none as far as I can see, just clever marketing.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
😱 Such venom! I was referring to marketing technique not any kind of pretension. I own several chinese made watches, well, that and most watches have components made in China these days anyway. But furthermore heaven forbid a person chooses to base their collection on watches made in one specific country... Take a chill pill Mr. Social Media Activist

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
😱 Such venom! I was referring to marketing technique not any kind of pretension. I own several chinese made watches, well, that and most watches have components made in China these days anyway. But furthermore heaven forbid a person chooses to base their collection on watches made in one specific country... Take a chill pill Mr. Social Media Activist
Interesting that e.s.patterson seemingly signed up over here just to make that reply and never bothered to post anything else. DuFa astroturf squad?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Interesting that e.s.patterson seemingly signed up over here just to make that reply and never bothered to post anything else. DuFa astroturf squad?
To be fair, I have gotten my panties in a bunch and replied to some random comment, on a random forum that I had randomly stumbled onto from the Great Mother Google. Still though, indignation met with sarcasm is never wrong in my book... As long as we keep things civil 😊

21 - 34 of 34 Posts