WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is as noob as I can get with vintage valjoux movements, but on vintage watches such as Wakmann etc.., that have a triple date function with day, date month. the extra two buttons often found on the left side of the case, are they to manually change the month nd date, or is that an automatic funcyion of that movement. If not, what are the buttons for? example attached Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,673 Posts
They are for manually setting day/date/month (actually only two of those three, I can't remember which). These displays advance automatically when the watch is running, but the buttons allow you to set them quickly and independently.

·
Banned
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
but the buttons are for adjustment correct? , once set (Unless monthly calendar different) they change automatically?

·
Premium Member
6,673 Posts
Yes, as I said, day and should flip at midnight, and month should flip at midnight of the 31st. Why don't you test by advancing the hands past midnight and you can see for yourself?

·
Banned
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Badbackdan, thanks. Reason I'm asking is because I'm contemplating buying one and wasn't sure. I wouldn't want one if it was a manual mechanism and wanted to confirm. I don't have one to actually try.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,033 Posts
That's what I heard too (although I haven't been able to verify it personally). I was told that the Zenith Cal. 3019 PHC (now Cal. 400) was not only the world's first automatic chronograph but the Cal. 3019 PHF version (now Cal. 410) was the world's first watch with full calendar display* that had the month indication change automatically as the date went from 31 back to 1.

Hartmut Richter

(* "full calendar display" meaning watches without annual, semi perpetual or even perpetual calendars, in which the month naturally changes automatically)

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Hi there,

indeed, in most triple calendars the month doesn't advance automatically at the end of the month. Unfortunately I ddin't record this feature for a long time, an so it is missing in my archive for most calendar calibres.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

1 - 9 of 9 Posts