WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,

I own two El Primeros (SS T and Rose Gold T). Rose Gold never gets worn (too conspicuous for me), but the SS is on my wrist almost everyday, excpet for camping and fishing trips, and downhill skiing days. I do a pretty good job of "banging" the watch around everyday with no incidence of failure, although the +10 or greater daily seconds gain four months after my Zenith service is sad.

Love the looks of the El Primero Rainbow (non-Fly Back), but would like to learn more about its reliability/durability and the experience of people familiar with the watch. Is it a good buy?

One other comment: The new Zenith designs don't do much for me, although I'd probably (maybe) purchase a Defy if it came in a version smaller than 44mm.

I feely my SS T has served me very, very well.

Thanks very much.

Jason

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Without the model numbers >>>

I would assume that the movements, El Primeros, are pretty much identical and the Rainbow should give you the same service as the SS T.

When Rolex used to use them, they would derate the movement to 28,800 beats and replace the affected parts. While no one has ever really offered why, I would assume that it is because many Rolex owners buy them for the name, and because of the associated costs, do not service them as often. A watch the beats at 28,800 versus 36K can run longer between services with less wear.

Personally, I have had no issues with either of my EP Fly-Backs.

Lastly, I would add that any competent, trusted watchmaker can dial your SS back to closer to 0. All it takes is a case wrench and holder, some patience, a clean room, and a small screwdriver.

Cheers!

Dan

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dan,

Thanks for the information and quick reply. Mainly interested in a Zenith I can camp and fish and ski with, and I find the Rainbow looks like it could take more of a "beating" (should I really be using that word in the same post as Zenith) then my SS T.

Jason

1 - 4 of 4 Posts