WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As listed above I am looking for a watch that is durable, rugged, and water resistant. Any brand names or specific watches you can give would be most appreciated. I am going into the armed forces so i will demand that my watch be able to withstand significant stress.

Thank you

·
Registered
159 Posts
G-shock pretty good. Another watch brand I like: Lum Tec, they make very good watches that you can see all night long, I'm impressed with them.

Another you will hear about is Suunto. Also, look to Nite Watches, they are a U.K. company but I recall reading some of their watches are issued to military units. They have some nice looking pieces, but hopefully someone here can speak to them. I think Lum Tec and Nite would be good for you.

Edited to add: the Nite MX10 201 looks pretty cool and durable. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSZJeGC8AU8

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
What branch and what's your job? I got by as a grunt in the Marines with a Pulsar quartz diver...wore it through School of Infantry and while in the fleet. I still have it with the exception that it's now on a NATO instead of its original rubber strap.

What exactly will you be doing that will stress your watch so badly? It's not like you use the watch as a tripod.

Any decent dive watch should work unless you know for sure you're going to be parachuting and diving...in which case you would buy the watch after successful completion of those schools. Personally I would go with quartz again...not enough time to be fussing around with resetting the time and date after non-use.

·
Premium Member
7,562 Posts
Definitely G-Shock. Or maybe a Reactor Trident Never Dark in titanium.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,041 Posts
Either a Casio G Shock or Timex Ironman Shock will be very durable, water resistant, rugged and accurate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To baronrojo,
I am not entirely sure what my job will be. I have qualifications in both scuba diving and parachuting as well as rope course managment. The reason I am asking about a durable watch is because I had a luminox dive watch that broke and filled with water approximately a month and a half after I bought it. The company then said it was my fault accusing me of having the crown unlocked when I dove. So I would prefer not to have a huge hassle over the watch again. The funny thing was that I was doing a relatively simple dive and i didn't notice my watch was broken until I was about 10 minutes into the dive and its extremly unsafe for any one to dive with out a working watch. So I may be parachuting, or I may be diving or both depending on what they want. Thank you for your input.

Thanks

·
Registered
260 Posts
I don't know what your price range is, but Marathonwatch.com has some really good options. I have owned a GSAR automatic for a few years and can assure you that it is extremely rugged and a very good dive watch. As a matter of fact it is mil spec and and has a military stock number.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Rolex. The movements are very robust. Quality steel cases, the rest is top notch too.
They are good enough to ge through anything you can, and become a family heirloom later.

·
Premium Member
3,390 Posts
Check out Vostok.

cottontop

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Another excellent watch, with proven German SF record, is the Sinn UX. In fact, I think it is a better choice than a Rolex.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Also, look to Nite Watches, they are a U.K. company but I recall reading some of their watches are issued to military units. They have some nice looking pieces, but hopefully someone here can speak to them. I think Lum Tec and Nite would be good for you.

Edited to add: the Nite MX10 201 looks pretty cool and durable. Nite MX10-201 tritium military watch - YouTube
I vouch for these.
They are issued to the SAS (Special Forces) in the UK.

cheers,
Jake.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I vote for G-Shock for any task - but if you're diving perhaps look at a quartz Swiss Army Dive Master 500 Titanium - it's a very tough watch with lots of value... Just my thoughts...

·
Registered
808 Posts
I don't know what your price range is, but Marathonwatch.com has some really good options. I have owned a GSAR automatic for a few years and can assure you that it is extremely rugged and a very good dive watch. As a matter of fact it is mil spec and and has a military stock number.
+1 on the Marathon. They've a good service record.
Good luck on your search and post photos of what you decide upon!
+2 on Marathon. I have the MSAR and it's very good. I think the quartz version of the GSAR would likely be your best bet, although I own the auto.

s.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Check out Reactor watches. They have some youtube vid's on the durability.

·
Banned
626 Posts
To baronrojo,
I am not entirely sure what my job will be. I have qualifications in both scuba diving and parachuting as well as rope course managment. The reason I am asking about a durable watch is because I had a luminox dive watch that broke and filled with water approximately a month and a half after I bought it. The company then said it was my fault accusing me of having the crown unlocked when I dove. So I would prefer not to have a huge hassle over the watch again. The funny thing was that I was doing a relatively simple dive and i didn't notice my watch was broken until I was about 10 minutes into the dive and its extremly unsafe for any one to dive with out a working watch. So I may be parachuting, or I may be diving or both depending on what they want. Thank you for your input.

Thanks
If you are diving get a G-Shock Frogman. It's made for that specifically in terms of design and functions. Great watch. There are also Nato-Strap adapters for the G-Shocks. Although, I've been down to more than 40m with a simple G-shock. Even pushed the buttons. Everything worked great. No problems whatsoever. The automatic backlight feature is also nice to have, as is the time zone feature for when you are deployed abroad or need to be in touch with units abroad. Timer and stopwatch a excellent to have for mission timing and the alarm can be heard underwater quite well. However, I doubt you could hear anything when jumping out of a plane. But then I couldn't imagine why one would need a timer or alarm for the few minutes you are in the air.

·
Premium Member
7,562 Posts
Watchtime (or one of the other watch mags) did a story while back on Reactor. I think owner is Jimmy Olmes (haven't googled). He said they pressure test with crown unscrewed. So, 200 meters is list, but if crown screwed in you're good to go. I'll try to find a link.

There was another article where some Marine Force Recon or Snipers field tested them. That article was more recent. Got good reviews.

PS: I neither work for nor own a Reactor watch. But I like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts