WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there a precentage of the sale price that may be standard to help me to decide on total price of piece coming from Asia? IS there tax,Vat like etc? thanks, dogdoc

·
Registered
9,673 Posts
Have your watch shipped by EMS post......................I've bought 3 watches, new from Japan...w/ EMS never paid duty etc. Bought a watch from Germany...it was shipped Fedex, had to pay duty.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
US customs does not charge tax on individual purchases of less than $2000, if they are intended for personal use, ie not for resale.

This is regardless of who the carrier is.

·
Registered
9,673 Posts
did the US govt. change something lately w/ duty??? I bought a Stowa airman last Oct.(2008) it's under US$2000. & I got charged duty.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Sorry for the confusion more complete info follows:

The exemption limit and amount of tax is also dependent on the country it's coming from. Also, did you actually get charged a customs duty, or did you get charge a fee from the carrier for preparing the import paperwork, or a "Use Tax" from the your State?

·
Banned
5,850 Posts
EMS is a postal service used in Asian countries. When entering the US, it will go through USPS and customs are not added.

lysander is correct in that import with FedEX and USP will deliver a fee for import.

·
Registered
9,673 Posts
If you ship via Fedex & UPS you'll pay US duty & a service fee....the duty is less than average state tax....................but,I've bought watches from Japan & Hong Kong, price points between US$ 250-1000. shipped EMS post, no duty.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
I purchased a watch from Thailand it was valued at $600 shipped via FedEx and I was charged duty of around $35 give or take a buck or two. |>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts