WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have recently moved to Nova Scotia, Canada from the UK.
Can anyone tell me the situation with shipping/duty into Canada from the US?
I already know that I will pay 15% on anything from the EU/UK (unless anyone knows how not to?)

I am considering selling my 2008 Rolex Sub LV but don't want to unless I know I have plenty of options to get something else without getting stung for duty.
There are plenty of watches for sale in the US, on here and other forums but not a lot in Canada. That restricts my options if I have to pay duty from the US to Canada.

Can anyone please advise so I don't fall foul of unforeseen costs?

Thanks

Mac
Rural Pictou County
NS
Canada.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Well, you might get 5% duty plus 15% HST added on to your purchase. Then there's the matter of brokerage fees which can be as low as $5 with Canada Post. If you get something shipped by UPS ground you might pay a bit more..like say $40 or so.
US folks may be reluctant to use the mail on expensive pieces because they can't get adequate postal insurance.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Yes, typically you will have to pay duty (5%) plus HST. If the person ships with a company such as UPS or Fedex, there is usually a "brokerage fee" you have to pay, which varies depending on the dollar value of the item being shipped, which most people feel is unjustly expensive. Usually sending by USPS incurs less cost, or you can try to clear the import documents yourself. However, certain Fedex services I believe have the brokerage fee included in the shipping cost. When I recently purchased my Perrelet from the US, the company shipped with Fedex with brokerage fee included (and it was free shipping for me too!). When it arrived, even though it was declared properly as a swiss watch with $xxxx value, they only charged me HST, no duty! |>

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, so basically I should allow for at least +15% on top of the price as a "best case" scenario and another 5% + $5-40 on top at worst?
Have I got that right?

Cheers

Mac.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Yep.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have been stung by this many many times. Even when the watches were just review units. It took me 14 months to get an SMP 2254.50 in Canada and buy it before anyone else did. You might want to try searching for "canada" or "Toronto" or Provinces in watchrecon.com. That is how I got the best results. Buying in Canada means you'll have the watch faster and for the same price you can sell if for.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Though not directly connected with the topic, I would like to share something....

I sold a watch to a fellow WUS( A real gent) in Canada and posted it by the Indian postal deptt. Reached him in good time and good condition.

I shipped another watch to the same gentleman a few days later....same shipping mode, postage, papers etc......today I got it back after it was refused by the Canada border services agency......no reason given.......I and the buyer are both very surprised and wondering what happened. I would be once again shipping it to him in a couple of days, but was wondering if anybody has a clue as to what could hAve been the reason for the return.

Text Design Pattern Pattern

·
Registered
881 Posts
I shipped another watch to the same gentleman a few days later....same shipping mode, postage, papers etc......today I got it back after it was refused by the Canada border services agency......no reason given.......I and the buyer are both very surprised and wondering what happened.
That's not good. I've bought from Russia and India and not had a problem. You do put the customs declaration papers on the package I assume. My packages have all said "watch" or "wristwatch" and the declared values have been anywhere from $15 to $20. (thank you all considerate sellers:))

Checking the India one in particular, I looked at the customs Declaration attached to the outside of the envelope.
It had in the

Box (1) sellers address stamp
Box (2) ----
Box (3) my complete address
Box (4) Gift X
Box (6) date
Box (7) "No Battery" "No Electronics".
Box (8) signature
Box (9) INDIA
Box (10) CANADA
Box (11) 100g
Box (12) 01
Box (13) HMT Mechanical Wristwatch No Battery, No Electronics.
Box (14) Tariff No. --------
Box (15) 100g
Box (16) 15 USD Total

The ----- means the seller just put a stroke through the box.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
696 Posts
If you get something shipped by UPS ground you might pay a bit more..like say $40 or so.
UPS has a bracket system for charing the brokerage fee's. Usually, it averages out to 25% of the total value of the package. My friend was recently charged $360 duty on a $1,000 item via UPS.

I would simply avoid using anything other than Canada Post/USPS and the other government postal agencies around the world (who use Canada Post for the final delivery) if you are getting anything shipped to Canada. At least with Canada Post, you get a standard $7 "handling charge", the GST/HST and the duty. No hidden charges.

·
Registered
881 Posts
... it averages out to 25% of the total value of the package. My friend was recently charged $360 duty on a $1,000 item via UPS.

I would simply avoid using anything other than Canada Post/USPS ...
++1. Note he said "USPS" not "UPS".

You really want to travel outside Canada and return with the merchandise. (customs officers at the border don't collect duty, only HST).
Many Canadians will have items shipped to a nearby US postal address and then pop across the border to retrieve their purchase.
Read the fine print ;-)

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I would be once again shipping it to him in a couple of days, but was wondering if anybody has a clue as to what could hAve been the reason for the return.

Did it have a endangered species strap ? (alligator, crocodile, snake)

They are crazy about that stuff....you need wildlife forms....I once had a Black Python strap shipped to me in Canada, they cut each piece in half and then sent the pieces....I'm sure that will help save the lives of snakes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts