WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
7,498 Posts
My DW-291H-1AV arrived today. The AE-1200 has a brighter light and a much louder beeper, but I like the size of this one better. The DW-291H beeper is slightly louder than the one in the AE-2000. The DW-291H has a better double-LED light compared to the single-LED light in the AE-2000.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I finally caved and got the red one while hunting for Casio clearance bargains over the weekend. It is a great watch... I switched the buckle for a metal one (from an extra MDV106 strap I had) and it really classes up the underbelly of my wrist!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Can anyone give me an indication how loud the alarms are on this watch? I mean, how loud is it in comparison to G-Shocks like GWM5600, etc? I'm wondering if the loudness of the alarms is compromised by the need to get a 10 year battery life.

·
Registered
7,498 Posts
Can anyone give me an indication how loud the alarms are on this watch? I mean, how loud is it in comparison to G-Shocks like GWM5600, etc? I'm wondering if the loudness of the alarms is compromised by the need to get a 10 year battery life.
I compared several models, but I don't have a GW-M5600 or GW-M5610.

GLX-5600, GLS-5600 - DW-291 is much louder
AE-2000 - DW-291 is noticeably louder
AE-1200 - DW-291 is noticeably quieter

The GLX-5600 and GLS-5600 have the same form factor as the GW-M5600 or GW-M5610, but they are not solar powered. The beeper volume is very quiet on these two, so much so that when I bought my first GLX-5600 I thought it was defective, but the second GLX-5600 and the GLS-5600 are the same.

The AE-2000 and AE-1200 have modules similar to that in the DW-291, and both have a 10-year battery. The AE-2000 has more metal around the case than the DW-291, which may reduce the beeper volume. The AE-1200 has an acrylic crystal, which may increase the beeper volume.

I'd say the DW-291 has average beeper loudness for a Casio.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks a lot, GaryK30. It seems that it's probably louder than my GWM5600, which I find on the quiet side (although usable when not in an overly loud situation).

Anyway, I bit the bullet and bought the watch from Amazon for £22, which is a good deal. Bought the gold version, as I haven't had a gold LCD before. I've always fancied getting one, and now I have.

Cheers again.

·
Registered
51 Posts
for sure it is louder than in my gw-m5610
Yeah, got it this morning. It's louder than my GWM5600 and AWG100. Not as loud as my Citizen Eco-Drive (u700 module), but it's good enough for me.

I'm wearing it now, and it wears OK on my skinny wrist (6.25 inches...) despite its largish size. Nice watch for £22. Glad I got it.

·
Registered
Seiko auto's. Monster, Turtle, 5 Sports. Steeldive auto. G Shock. Edifice. Protrek. Casio.
773 Posts
The black bezel version seems to get called the gold version on here !
Is it just the text that is in gold, or does the positive display have a gold tint to its background ?..... All the pics i've seen of it seems to show a green tint to the display.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The black bezel version seems to get called the gold version on here !
Is it just the text that is in gold, or does the positive display have a gold tint to its background ?..... All the pics i've seen of it seems to show a green tint to the display.
The LCD screen is gold/yellowish. Most of the text is gold/yellowish, while some of the text is red.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Still wearing it and really liking it (I know, just one day so far ;) ) .

One minor criticism of it is the "analogue" display's cross hairs. When the hour is at 3, 6, 9 or 12, the cross hairs get in the way of the hour marker, and the same happens when the minute marker goes to 00, 15, 30 and 45. So, let's say it's 3pm, there is no real way to see that as the cross hairs obscure (it could be any time).

Now, I don't really use this feature and find it a bit of pointless eye-candy that's problematic to see, but they could have just had the circles without the need of the cross hairs, which would make things a bit more legible at certain times. I find it odd that the cross hairs are needed seeing that they can add to confusion.

Other than that, I'm enjoying the watch. I'll give it a week's more wear, and then go to my AWG-100, which was meant to be the next in rotation.

·
Registered
7,498 Posts
Still wearing it and really liking it (I know, just one day so far ;) ) .

One minor criticism of it is the "analogue" display's cross hairs. When the hour is at 3, 6, 9 or 12, the cross hairs get in the way of the hour marker, and the same happens when the minute marker goes to 00, 15, 30 and 45. So, let's say it's 3pm, there is no real way to see that as the cross hairs obscure (it could be any time).

Now, I don't really use this feature and find it a bit of pointless eye-candy that's problematic to see, but they could have just had the circles without the need of the cross hairs, which would make things a bit more legible at certain times. I find it odd that the cross hairs are needed seeing that they can add to confusion.

Other than that, I'm enjoying the watch. I'll give it a week's more wear, and then go to my AWG-100, which was meant to be the next in rotation.
Oddly, the eye that shows the analog time is even smaller on the DW-291 than it is on the AE-1200, even though the latter is a much smaller watch.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I couldn't resist buying this watch (even though I have too many).

Today it is at 18€, om amazon.es (black and red versions, grey is not at that prize).

Mine is the black one

·
Registered
Seiko auto's. Monster, Turtle, 5 Sports. Steeldive auto. G Shock. Edifice. Protrek. Casio.
773 Posts
Those displays on the black models are still looking more green than gold to me.
Maybe i'm colour blind.

·
Registered
Samsung Gear S3 Frontier. Casio G-Shock DW-6900SG. Casio G-Shock GW-5000. Rado Original R12408614.
1,776 Posts
Wait a minute... These aren't G-Shocks. 🤔

They do look the part though. Lol.

101 - 117 of 117 Posts