WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am thinking about getting a DW-5600MS with the -ve display and buying a normal 3229 module from Casio to install into it, assuming the cost isn't too prohibitive and there are no technical differences between the exterior dimensions of the different 3229 modules. I like the look of the MS bezel, band and border colouring under the glass, but hate negative displays and also tinted screens. I want the look of the display of the DW-5600E-1VER. I assume the tinting of the MS screen comes from the module and not the glass. Another possible way of doing it might be to keep the existing MS 3229 module and perhaps buy a plain LCD for it for the DW-5600E-1VER. I could also buy a DW-5600E-1VER and get an MS bezel, strap and case insert (?) but I suspect that would be almost as expensive as buying both watches lol. At the moment I don't have any 5600 watch. Anyone have any thoughts on the above or anything to mention that I haven't considered pls? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
PacParts offers the case center section, which appears to be the case front, glass, buttons, and bezel. Looking at MS crystals on eBay, the glass is not tinted. If you are in the States then the case is probably a wash in terms of price for a DW5600E, but is cheaper than a DW5600MS.
PacParts: 91087112365

·
Registered
924 Posts
I am thinking about getting a DW-5600MS with the -ve display and buying a normal 3229 module from Casio to install into it, assuming the cost isn't too prohibitive and there are no technical differences between the exterior dimensions of the different 3229 modules. I like the look of the MS bezel, band and border colouring under the glass, but hate negative displays and also tinted screens. I want the look of the display of the DW-5600E-1VER. I assume the tinting of the MS screen comes from the module and not the glass. Another possible way of doing it might be to keep the existing MS 3229 module and perhaps buy a plain LCD for it for the DW-5600E-1VER. I could also buy a DW-5600E-1VER and get an MS bezel, strap and case insert (?) but I suspect that would be almost as expensive as buying both watches lol. At the moment I don't have any 5600 watch. Anyone have any thoughts on the above or anything to mention that I haven't considered pls? Thanks in advance.
Modules and LCDs are already restricted parts so it's hard to get those parts alone. The cheapest way is to replace the polarizing film on 5600MS which turns it from negative display to positive display. Here's a video on how to do it.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. I figure Casio would sell a module or LCD to end users or jewellers as part of a repair rather than to on line resellers who could be potentially be seen as promoting modding, but I will contact them and ask. Maybe not though - maybe these are considered too severe replacements for anyone other than Casio to do it, or that they think you should buy a new watch lol. The video is clear, thanks. I've seen this mod before and a few details let it down for me but it is cheap like you say.

Here's someone's pic who did this mod, although they didn't hang onto it.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Even though the parts are restricted, it just means that you'll have to contact Casio directly or American Perfit. You should be able to get a DW5600E LCD from them.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
The other option would be to get a DW5600E and swap the MS crystal and bezel onto it. It should be fairly easy if you're comfortable with taking your watch apart but imo, swapping LCD is easiest.

Switching polarizer orientation is another option, as Epal2apol suggested but I think you'll be left with a reddish background when you go to positive. If you're okay with that then great. I wouldn't be happy with that and would prefer to swap LCD instead to get the right look. YMMV.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The other option would be to get a DW5600E and swap the MS crystal and bezel onto it. It should be fairly easy if you're comfortable with taking your watch apart but imo, swapping LCD is easiest.

Switching polarizer orientation is another option, as Epal2apol suggested but I think you'll be left with a reddish background when you go to positive. If you're okay with that then great. I wouldn't be happy with that and would prefer to swap LCD instead to get the right look. YMMV.
Thanks very much for the input. Yes I agree on the pink background.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I asked Casio UK just now and apparently the 3229 module for the DW-5600E-1V is discontinued and no longer available although the LCD can still be purchased. Not sure how much to read into that.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I asked Casio UK just now and apparently the 3229 module for the DW-5600E-1V is discontinued and no longer available although the LCD can still be purchased. Not sure how much to read into that.
It's just $7 plus shipping fee. Get the LCD of DW-5030 instead. It's much clearer than that of DW-5600E.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I checked out a few threads about such an update and presume it's a straight swap?
Any update on this? I have both 5600ms and 5600e and I am considering doing this swap. I've never taken one apart before, only changing battery. Is it much more complicated than that?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Any update on this? I have both 5600ms and 5600e and I am considering doing this swap. I've never taken one apart before, only changing battery. Is it much more complicated than that?
If you have both of the watches then it's just a simple module swap. Just lift up the module from their casing (case center) and putting it putting it back to the other case center. It's good if you have the same module otherwise the rubber/silicone cover is somewhat different. Below is a picture of the 3229 module and the 1545 module (from a 5600e vs 5000-1jf).

The top row is the module 3229 from 5600e (the one i got from walmart for $25).
Second row is module 1545 from DW-5000-1jf (all 1545 module from steel casing are similar).
Third row is the module 1545 from older 5600e.

You can see the 3229 and 1545 has different silicone rubber back protector.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you have both of the watches then it's just a simple module swap. Just lift up the module from their casing (case center) and putting it putting it back to the other case center. It's good if you have the same module otherwise the rubber/silicone cover is somewhat different. Below is a picture of the 3229 module and the 1545 module (from a 5600e vs 5000-1jf).

The top row is the module 3229 from 5600e (the one i got from walmart for $25).
Second row is module 1545 from DW-5000-1jf (all 1545 module from steel casing are similar).
Third row is the module 1545 from older 5600e.

You can see the 3229 and 1545 has different silicone rubber back protector.
Yes they are both the 3229 module. So you are saying since they are the same I can just take everything out of one case and put it in the other without taking apart any of the components? Right now I've just switched the bands and bezels on them and I kinda like the result. Still thinking of doing the module swap though as I think the plain grey bezel text on the 5600ms would go good with a positive display. Also the dw5600e is crazy cheap right now, I grabbed another one for $28 just for the price alone so it's kind of an extra watch to play around with but I fear it will be addicting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts