WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Just an FYI, I opened up my 5600c recently and it also smelt of fish.

Coincidence, or do all 5600c smell of fish after 30 years when you take the back off. I think it may actually be the rubber.
Lol I think it is the rubber.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Just an FYI, I opened up my 5600c recently and it also smelt of fish.

Coincidence, or do all 5600c smell of fish after 30 years when you take the back off. I think it may actually be the rubber.
I think you are right about the smell, especially when cracking open a caseback for the first time. Both of my DW-5200C restore projects had a fishy odor upon opening, but no sign of any fish parts in the case center or button wells.

As for the restored DW-5600C of this thread, there were ACTUAL fish guts and bones in it.
The combination of encased rubber, fish parts, and time made for a particularly unique blend of odor. 🤢

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Awesome work again Tommy (y) (y) (y)

This sounds really fun especially when you have parts and tools required for the project. Definitely respect for photography and skills too. Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
318 Posts
That’s an excellent restoration. I wish that they still made the DW5600C screw back.
I stumbled upon a new old stock one this week, awaiting delivery, I don't have the tools to restore used ones :LOL: normally I go as far as a battery change, lube for the gaskets and a gentle surface clean, oh and if necessary heating the corners to save the screws

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
I stumbled upon a new old stock one this week, awaiting delivery, I don't have the tools to restore used ones normally I go as far as a battery change, lube for the gaskets and a gentle surface clean, oh and if necessary heating the corners to save the screws
Pics when you have it in your paws please Beefy!!

What model is it?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
645 Posts
I stumbled upon a new old stock one this week, awaiting delivery, I don't have the tools to restore used ones :LOL: normally I go as far as a battery change, lube for the gaskets and a gentle surface clean, oh and if necessary heating the corners to save the screws
Where did you find a new old stock DW5600C?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Pics when you have it in your paws please Beefy!!

What model is it?

Where did you find a new old stock DW5600C?
The Bay, another listing that was missing details in the title, I wasn't the only one who found it as bids shot up in the closing seconds

Seller Pics:

I've always intended wearing my purchases but I can't wear this one, NOS has to stay NOS, so i'm unsure what to do now

unfortunately I have spent far too much this month on impulse already and i'm gonna have to have a clear out, this and my Tai Chi B1000 have to be offered up and whichever goes first means I hang on to the other, unless I can find a way to keep both, and all my others 🤣

Does anyone have any recommendations for how to clean up the original bezel to get it back to black without risk of damage? (@sodamonkey :D)

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
The Bay, another listing that was missing details in the title, I wasn't the only one who found it as bids shot up in the closing seconds

Seller Pics:
View attachment 15651813

View attachment 15651815

I've always intended wearing my purchases but I can't wear this one, NOS has to stay NOS, so i'm unsure what to do now

Does anyone have any recommendations for how to clean up the original bezel to get it back to black without risk of damage? (@sodamonkey :D)
Mate, that is a GREAT find, Japan A to boot, really nice!

I've actually never snagged one with an original bezel mate so have no clue. Your only hope is that the screws aren't sized so you can get them out, and then GENTLY remove the bezel.

You've obviously got zero chance to heat the screws with bezel in place!

Maybe it should just be left as is if you're not gonna wear it?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Mate, that is a GREAT find, Japan A to boot, really nice!

I've actually never snagged one with an original bezel mate so have no clue. Your only hope is that the screws aren't sized so you can get them out, and then GENTLY remove the bezel.

You've obviously got zero chance to heat the screws with bezel in place!

Maybe it should just be left as is if you're not gonna wear it?

Yeh i've no plan to remove the bezel, just thinking of cleaning the surface, if I had better eyes and tools and the screws are free i'd have considered removing the buttons to get the bezel off without stressing it, but for me thats a no, if the B1000 Tai Chi sells i'll follow my own advice I gave to @TakaP about leaving it boxed and using as a desk clock

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I have had some mild success with lightly applying silicone oil to older resin surfaces. My current DW-5600C-1V daily wearer has an original genuine Casio bezel.

I managed to soften the original bezel with the silicone oil and remove it from the original watch without harm, clean the bezel in the ultrasonic cleaner, and reapply it to the above fully restored DW-5600C-1V. The silicone oil cannot work miracles, but if the bezel can be salvaged a light application of silicone oil probably cannot hurt. Hope this helps!
----------
The DW-5600C-1V referenced in this thread was sold some time ago.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have had some mild success with lightly applying silicone oil to older resin surfaces. My current DW-5600C-1V daily wearer has an original genuine Casio bezel.

I managed to soften the original bezel with the silicone oil and remove it from the original watch without harm, clean the bezel in the ultrasonic cleaner, and reapply it to the above fully restored DW-5600C-1V. The silicone oil cannot work miracles, but if the bezel can be salvaged a light application of silicone oil probably cannot hurt. Hope this helps!
----------
The DW-5600C-1V referenced in this thread was sold some time ago.
I'll Keep it in mind definitely, Thanks

·
Registered
170 Posts

Seller Pics:
View attachment 15651813

View attachment 15651815

unfortunately I have spent far too much this month on impulse already and i'm gonna have to have a clear out, this and my Tai Chi B1000 have to be offered up and whichever goes first means I hang on to the other, unless I can find a way to keep both, and all my others 🤣

Now that deserves a whole new thread when you receive this!!
I know what you mean by "unsure what to do now" lol

21 - 34 of 34 Posts