WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is a recent pickup. It is the DW-5600C ‘Speed’ model.

I bid on it because even though it was dead and looked disgusting and seemed it might have things growing on it, it was cheap and I could see no serious damage to the crystal and case and all the case screws looked fine. I mentally wrote the bezel off because even though it seemed intact I knew it would have to come off to clean the watch and the odds of such an old bezel from this period surviving were small.

I got the watch and the strap was fine, just needed a new keeper. I started to take the bezel off and sure enough the resin crumbled. Still I had expected this. I cleaned the watch thoroughly and installed a new battery. The button shaft on button D was bent and was not reaching the module so I had to carefully straighten that out and then everything worked fine. The watch was actually in very good condition, very nice crystal and great caseback. The case screws came out fine as I was careful to use the minimum torque necessary.

]

The watch is an uncommon DW-5600C variation. It has the type 3 caseback, which is the least common of the DW-5600C’s casebacks and has the unusual green light 901 module. So new keeper and bezel fitted and it looks really fresh, good contrast on the LCD as it does not have an EL panel.

Feels and looks well on the wrist.

So very pleased to have got this iconic old G Shock for a low price. Makes you wonder why the sellers do not bother to even clean them, before putting them on sale.

Mitch

·
Registered
12,579 Posts
because the bezel would crumble and sell for less. a bidding war could have occurred due to intact bezel. it only takes 2 that want it bad to see some cha-ching.

edit: nice pick up and restore. nothing like the feel of a screwback.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
because the bezel would crumble and sell for less. a bidding war could have occurred due to intact bezel. it only takes 2 that want it bad to see some cha-ching.
Well that is true but it would also very likely crumble if you just tried to change the battery.

Can't see any value in a watch that has to remain dead, with large amount of human DNA on it, just to have an intact old delicate bezel that may just crack on its own anytime anyway.

What's the enjoyment in that?

Mitch

·
Registered
Proud Casio G-SHOCK fanboy
8,687 Posts
Oh damn the before pics looked really gross -- the hairs sticking out had me cringe a little. But the aftershots -- wow! You did a great job cleaning her up. Congrats!

I was also surprised to learn that I have the same model too! I've had it for a few years -- bought it from another WIS a while back -- but was unaware of its history. I did not know that the green colored bulb was indicative of this model. Thanks for the info and sharing such beautiful pics!

Here's mine, which I believe, is the same as yours. I'm happy finally learning why it had a green back light. I had for the longest time thought mine was modded or something haha

Watch Electronic device Technology Gadget Hand

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Strap

·
Premium Member
4,528 Posts
Really nice grab there!!

I love the original trio, 5000, 5200 & 5600C and I've not seen your model before actually. It looks almost brand new with a good clean up

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
547 Posts
Nice find!

Don't forget to set the correct alarm, Mitch;-)

Watch Dive computer Technology Electronic device Diving equipment
(Pic from the www)

Reactions: brandon\

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh damn the before pics looked really gross -- the hairs sticking out had me cringe a little. But the aftershots -- wow! You did a great job cleaning her up. Congrats!

I was also surprised to learn that I have the same model too! I've had it for a few years -- bought it from another WIS a while back -- but was unaware of its history. I did not know that the green colored bulb was indicative of this model. Thanks for the info and sharing such beautiful pics!

Here's mine, which I believe, is the same as yours. I'm happy finally learning why it had a green back light. I had for the longest time thought mine was modded or something haha
I was pleased with the condition of the watch, despite the DNA on it it can't have been worn that much. The engraving is still nice and sharp on the caseback. Very easy to over polish this and smooth everything out.

Casiophile posted a really great article on the DW-5600C, he is an expert on the model.

"4. The inscription - There are three inscription formats [3] they are:
Type 1 - CASIO [901] DW-5600 JAPAN H ST.STEEL 200M WATER RESISTANT (Shock Resistant)
Type 2 - CASIO [901] DW-5600 JAPAN H STAINLESS STEEL WATER RESISTANT (Shock Resistant)
Type 3 - [901] DW-5600 STAINLESS STEEL WATER RESISTANT (CASIO Shock Resistant H)
The most common by far is the Type 1 which can be found across the range of screwback 5600’s and is the same inscription style first used with the DW-5000 in 1983. Type 1 is the standard caseback inscription format for vintage G-Shocks. Type’s 2 and 3 seem to be limited to particular 5600 models and are less likely to be encountered. At this time only Module 901 H watches are known with Type 2 and 3 casebacks.

6. Module 901 Japan H circleback Type 3
What’s interesting about this style is that the word ‘Japan’ is absent from the caseback. This peculiarity that has led some to wonder if perhaps these were produced elsewhere, and there may indeed be something to this.

This style seems to be seen most often on the ‘Gold’ versions; DW-5600C-9V and DW-5600C-9CV, and often has a module fitted with a green backlight. These are uncommon."

Mitch

·
Registered
Proud Casio G-SHOCK fanboy
8,687 Posts
I was pleased with the condition of the watch, despite the DNA on it it can't have been worn that much. The engraving is still nice and sharp on the caseback. Very easy to over polish this and smooth everything out.

Casiophile posted a really great article on the DW-5600C, he is an expert on the model.

"4. The inscription - There are three inscription formats [3] they are:
Type 1 - CASIO [901] DW-5600 JAPAN H ST.STEEL 200M WATER RESISTANT (Shock Resistant)
Type 2 - CASIO [901] DW-5600 JAPAN H STAINLESS STEEL WATER RESISTANT (Shock Resistant)
Type 3 - [901] DW-5600 STAINLESS STEEL WATER RESISTANT (CASIO Shock Resistant H)
The most common by far is the Type 1 which can be found across the range of screwback 5600’s and is the same inscription style first used with the DW-5000 in 1983. Type 1 is the standard caseback inscription format for vintage G-Shocks. Type’s 2 and 3 seem to be limited to particular 5600 models and are less likely to be encountered. At this time only Module 901 H watches are known with Type 2 and 3 casebacks.

6. Module 901 Japan H circleback Type 3
What’s interesting about this style is that the word ‘Japan’ is absent from the caseback. This peculiarity that has led some to wonder if perhaps these were produced elsewhere, and there may indeed be something to this.

This style seems to be seen most often on the ‘Gold’ versions; DW-5600C-9V and DW-5600C-9CV, and often has a module fitted with a green backlight. These are uncommon."

Mitch
Thanks for posting this excerpt on DW-5600c variations. It's very informative. :)

Why do you think the model we own was fitted with a green colored backlight? And is this the last iteration of the 5600c before it was replaced by the 5600e?

·
Registered
57 Posts
These were the last 5600C produced before being replaced by the 5600E. I have heard somewhere that these units were not produced in Japan, but in Korea.

I think they put the green LED because it's a little improvement compared to the classic yellow bulb.
Watches produced around the same time like the DW-6300 also has the green LED.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for posting this excerpt on DW-5600c variations. It's very informative. :)

Why do you think the model we own was fitted with a green colored backlight? And is this the last iteration of the 5600c before it was replaced by the 5600e?

No idea really. I think the green light is better looking than the normal one. Certainly this is from the 1990's but were Casio producing the various casebacks at the same time, don't really know.

Mitch

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Here is a recent pickup. It is the DW-5600C ‘Speed’ model.

I bid on it because even though it was dead and looked disgusting and seemed it might have things growing on it, it was cheap and I could see no serious damage to the crystal and case and all the case screws looked fine. I mentally wrote the bezel off because even though it seemed intact I knew it would have to come off to clean the watch and the odds of such an old bezel from this period surviving were small.

I got the watch and the strap was fine, just needed a new keeper. I started to take the bezel off and sure enough the resin crumbled. Still I had expected this. I cleaned the watch thoroughly and installed a new battery. The button shaft on button D was bent and was not reaching the module so I had to carefully straighten that out and then everything worked fine. The watch was actually in very good condition, very nice crystal and great caseback. The case screws came out fine as I was careful to use the minimum torque necessary.

]

The watch is an uncommon DW-5600C variation. It has the type 3 caseback, which is the least common of the DW-5600C’s casebacks and has the unusual green light 901 module. So new keeper and bezel fitted and it looks really fresh, good contrast on the LCD as it does not have an EL panel.

Feels and looks well on the wrist.

So very pleased to have got this iconic old G Shock for a low price. Makes you wonder why the sellers do not bother to even clean them, before putting them on sale.

Mitch
Congratulations Mitch I have the same model also... Technology Dive computer Electronic device Watch Green Black Light Text Yellow Material property Auto part Watch Strap Fashion accessory Watch Strap Wrist Watch accessory Analog watch

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
317 Posts
Nice pick up! I have also just caught the vintage square bug... Anyone want to sell me theirs? haha.

Even though I just bought a DW-5600C Japan A from eBay, they are like Pokemon, just want to catch em all!

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Nice pick up! I have also just caught the vintage square bug... Anyone want to sell me theirs? haha.

Even though I just bought a DW-5600C Japan A from eBay, they are like Pokemon, just want to catch em all!
Nice - I just received an old 5200C today. it's pretty beat up and freakkin' reeks of cigarette..it's going to be a fun project to restore.

·
Registered
12,579 Posts
Nice - I just received an old 5200C today. it's pretty beat up and freakkin' reeks of cigarette..it's going to be a fun project to restore.
I'll send you a good cigar to fix that right up ~

Sent from Capt Kirk's Communicator

1 - 20 of 22 Posts