WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I've been sick the past couple days, and bored, and looking at some spare parts I have... I bought two DW-5030 crystals off PacParts.com a while back (part number 91087128278) for my DW-5030. But do I really need TWO spares? It is nice to have one, but TWO? They only cost $9.46, so I figured why not.

And then today I just took delivery of this Ebay bargain: a like new DW-5600E (seriously, like new, just needed a rinsing) for $13 shipped.

I already have a DW-5600E.... So I thought, why not put one of the DW-5030 crystals in the DW-5600E? Then I can have the vintage classic look of the DW-5000 in a cheap resin case that I can beat up like an everyday DW-5600E without worrying about damaging a "collectible" watch, ha ha...

So, total cost of this mod: $13 + $9.46 = $22.46

And it looks just like my DW-5030, but I don't have to treat it with any respect at all. I managed to get the DW-5600E crystal out without damaging it, so now I have a like new spare 5600E crystal, which I might actually need someday.

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
A gullible newby like me could be fooled by these sort of swaps on eBay, not that you would.

This is why this forum is vital to G buyers to keep us informed and help us learn the history of these watches.

Thanks for the great pictures and valuable lesson.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A gullible newby like me could be fooled by these sort of swaps on eBay, not that you would.

This is why this forum is vital to G buyers to keep us informed and help us learn the history of these watches.
yes, that's true. Any watch with the brick pattern is supposed to be a metal case with a screwback. Casio never released a resin case watch with this design. This is just for my personal use, I wouldn't try to sell this unless the buyer knew exactly what it was.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting that the GW-5000 does not have the brick pattern bezel.

Probably because it is solar. Even if the bricks were hollow (outline only) it would restrict a lot of light from hitting the solar panels. They could do it if they really wanted to, but I think they don't want to bring back the bricks except for anniversary 5000's

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Just noticed no bricks on my DW-5025D

Look closer, it has them.

Okay... watches with brick pattern dials:

DW-5000C (original first G-shock)
DW-1983 (10th anniversary)
DW-5000SP (20th anniversary)
DW-5000-1JF (reissue DW-5000)
DW-5000SL (Spike Lee)
DW-5025D (Ocean Grey)
DW-5025B (Rising White)
DW-5025SP (Team Tough 25th)
DW-5030C (30th anniversary Resist Black)
DW-5030 (From the G-Set (the one this mod is based on)

I may have forgotten one or two, but I think that's it

There are other screwbacks that don't have bricks, I am not saying all screwbacks do. But all the watches with bricks are supposed to be metal cases with screwbacks.

There is ONE exception I can think of, and that is one of the bluetooth G's. It is not a screwback but it has bricks. It also says "bluetooth" at the bottom, so it is clear what it is.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Very nice! I hope pacparts still have that crystal! :eek:

Here is a close-up of the DW-5025D (not modded) with the bricks

woww sir... You have very clear 5025 bezel n strap. Mine has gotten a little yellownish :(
Any idea how to make it clearer?

Sent from my Xperia Acro S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very nice! I hope pacparts still have that crystal! :eek:

woww sir... You have very clear 5025 bezel n strap. Mine has gotten a little yellownish :(
Any idea how to make it clearer?

Sent from my Xperia Acro S using Tapatalk

Thanks, I actually don't have this watch anymore. I sold it a week or so ago. The reason it is clear is because it has never been worn. Wearing it and exposing it to light will make it turn yellow over time. PacParts does not have the crystal for the DW-5025D anymore, and they cannot get it, because it is discontinued.

I once experimented with a product called Sea Glow to reverse the yellowing on vintage G-shocks with jelly bands. While it sort of worked, the results were temporary and I don't recommend it because it might damage the resin long term (who knows?)

·
Registered
645 Posts
yes, that's true. Any watch with the brick pattern is supposed to be a metal case with a screwback. Casio never released a resin case watch with this design. This is just for my personal use, I wouldn't try to sell this unless the buyer knew exactly what it was.
One exception: The GB-5600A, resin case and brick pattern :)
Screen Shot 2014-01-23 at 23.38.51.jpg

·
Registered
645 Posts
Yea sorry, just read looked at the list in that post and not the lines below lol.

Your 5600E>5030 mod is really cool :)

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I do not know how I missed this thread until today. I really like this mod - And I am thinking about stealing the idea for the creation of my own daily DW5600E.
I really like the classic design, but neither want to wear a vintage one nor can I find a reasonybly priced modern screwback - So I just might recreate this watch and have a classic looking, worry free DW5600E.
I would swap it for my GWM5600 in a heartbeat - It´s my daily beater atm, but I like the 5600E´s module better.

thanks for sharing, Kung!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts